• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v Blackburn Match Ratings

ricky1985

Established Member
Watched the game on Sky+. I was definitely a little harsh on both Clichy and Sagna, and, save for the odd moment of inexperience, Song was actually pretty good again.

I think the reason I was critical of the fullbacks was mainly because when you are sitting there in the stadium you can see every decision they make. Particularly their decision-making when choosing to stay back, go forward, over-lap, act as a passing option etc. - and they constantly made the wrong decisions. I put it down to teething problems in adjusting to their roles in the new formation.

I'm putting our defensive vulnerability down to the same teething problems. I think our midfield 3 need to find the right balance, and that will take time and games together. Although a shortcut to improvement can probably be found by removing Diaby from the team. Whilst he wasn't terrible he offered little defensively, and I don't envy the task of any of his fellow midfielders trying to work with him, and figure out what he will do next so they know where to move and what to do etc.

asajoseph

Established Member
Ok, upon reflection, perhaps my rating of Arshavin was a little harsh - I did not really have his work for Walcott's goal in mind in particular when I rated him.

However, he did give the ball away in sloppy situations a bit too much for my liking, and the reason for rating him lower than Rosicky today is simply down to work-rate, where I believe Tom was top-notch.

ricky1985

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
van persie - 9 - played in teammates on countless occasions, excellent awareness and decision-making, i thought he was absolutely superb
He really led the line fantastically. I think he's really starting to get the hang of playing as the 'number 9' and as our focal point. He was a threat in so many different ways today.

kamikaze80 said:
our movement today was the best i've seen in a long time. our best attacking performance this season, imo. we looked fluid and played some great combinations - things are starting to click for us.
Walcott's movement when he came on was a joy to behold. In fact it was amazing. He has a sixth sense for sensing space, and his speed and the timing of his runs are absolutely incredible.
I've heard you say a few times, Kami, that we sometimes have too many 'playmakers' and not enough 'runners' - after seeing them for myself today I see exactly what you mean. Walcott will be huge from that floating position in the forward line, the perfect compliment to Van Persie, Arshavin, Fabregas and Rosicky.

Captain

Established Member
Walcott won't do much from the beginning of games. That high line isn't going to happen at 0-0.

kamikaze80

Established Member
i'm not sure what you're talking about progman, i rate arshavin as highly as anyone on the team. just because i didnt give him an 8 in this particular match hardly means i have a thing against him!

stop trying to turn every little comment into a ****storm - it really gets annoying after a while. wtf is a "lets underrate arshavin" campaign?? do you think asa and i discuss how to mobilise a grass roots operation to undermine arsenal players in our spare time? there's no conspiracy, i just call it like i see it.

i cant speak for others, but i dont play favourites, ever. eg, i've been very harsh on ramsey but i thought he was excellent when he came on and called it as such.

xcdude24

Established Member
I know Wenger likes to ease most of his youngsters in, but Ramsey should be playing ahead of Diaby.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Captain said:
Walcott won't do much from the beginning of games. That high line isn't going to happen at 0-0.

This is exactly it. Walcott can definitely exploit defences when they try to press us, but he won't get that luxury at the start of most games. Had he started, I don't think he would have been as effective.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Captain said:

I think if we press high, early in games he would be just as useful in that stage.

ricky1985

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Captain said:

I think if we press high, early in games he would be just as useful in that stage.

I agree with Patrick. Our opportunities to counter have been substantial in every single game - parked bus or no parked bus (thanks to our high intensity pressing).
Walcott is released in this formation, he can go anywhere, so his instincts aren't suppressed anymore. He simply moves where he senses danger. Huge, huge difference on the Theo of the last few seasons, who was shackled by having to play a certain way, cover his fullback, offer width, stay rigid in his position etc. This formation is 100% natural for him, so all previous thoughts about him have to be reconsidered.

I think he is going to be a revelation.

lagos

Established Member
ok calm down Ricky! :lol: ordinarily I would agree with Captain but I was impressed with his overall contribution today and while I admit I thought it was a lot of hogwash and wishful thinking when people suggested as such earlier in the season, it just might be that this system suits him better, irrespective of starting early or coming on late...it remains to be seen.

Block10Gooner

Mannone 6

Sagna 7
Gallas 7
Vermaelen 8
Clichy 7

Song 8
Diaby 6
Fabregas 10

Arshavin 8
Rosicky 8
Van Persie 8

Walcott 7
Bendtner 7
Ramsey 7.5

If any of the midfield (apart from Diaby) and the attack pulled that kind of performance and they were the only player to perform so well; they would win the MoM. Cesc was just superb today as were all the players mentioned.

ricky1985

Established Member
I was really taken aback by his movement today. It's the first time I've got a really good look at him live. Honestly it's something to behold. You'll see when he gets a run of games.

xcdude24

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
I was really taken aback by his movement today. It's the first time I've got a really good look at him live. Honestly it's something to behold. You'll see when he gets a run of games.

Are you talking about Walcott?

I think it's almost a good thing that he didn't see a lot of the ball until he got into a threatening position. His movement off the ball was simply amazing. People go on about how he's nothing more than an athlete with a decent finish, but his ability to make runs and go into channels demonstrated that he does have a bit of footballing intelligence.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

outlaw_member said:
Captain said:

This is exactly it. Walcott can definitely exploit defences when they try to press us, but he won't get that luxury at the start of most games. Had he started, I don't think he would have been as effective.

Yup agree there , movement and timing of the ball runs is his greatest strength . Hopefully it will come to the stage where he can start matches and be just as effective.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Talking about movement, I thought Arshavin and especially Rosicky is even more fantastic at that. Rosicky is so intelligent, unbelievable.

Mannone - 6
Sagna - 6.5
Gallas - 7
Vermaelen - 8
Clichy - 7
Cesc - 9.5
Song - 7
Diaby - 6
Arshavin - 8
RVP - 8
Rosicky - 8

Walcott - 7
Bendtner - 7
Ramsey - 7

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Lools like everyone has noticed how good Ramseys desicions making and distribution was . Best thing about it was that he LOOKED like he had time on the ball even in the attacking 3rd . Feel he has actually improved a great deal in the last month or so if that is possible.

banduan

Established Member
Mannone 7 - not as much at fault for the 1st goal as has been pointed out

Sagna 5 - wasn't quite solid enough in defense
Gallas 6 - downgraded due to dodgy moments, shares blame for 1st goal. Own goal not his fault.
Vermaelen 7 - downgraded due to dodgy moments, shares blame for 1st goal. Great goal himself and did well anyway.
Clichy 6 - solid enough but still not great in attack and shouldn't bother crossing

Song 6 - typical youthful inconsistencies spoil good performance
Diaby 5 - somehow manages to look average at moments we dominate
fabregas 9 - would be perfect 10 if he had shared more defensive work

Arshavin 7 - dribbling bedazzles, takes on defenders well
Rosicky 7 - solid distribution and ball holding, adapted well on the right
Van Persie 8 - superb distribution, a bit wasteful or a 9 is in order

Walcott 7 - knows how to use his pace, times his runs perfectly and wants the ball
Bendtner 7 - good movement and distribution and good goal
Ramsey 8 - cesc impression... impresses

Overall, our defence was dodgy and we should have been penalised and gone level 3-3 as they had a stonewall peno. Nevertheless we had a stonewall peno denied ourselves. We would have probably won anyway because we quite simply have the best attack in the league.

3-1 down, 7-3 up I say.

law90026

Established Member
5 = below average, 6 = above average, 5.5 = average

Mannone: 5.5 (was at fault for the first goal, played decently throughout)

Sagna: 5.5 (ok defensively, not good going forward)
Clichy: 6 (solid defensively most of the game, showed a bit of penetration in attack)
Gallas: 5.5 (ok'ish performance, not convincing especially on the 2nd BB goal)
TV: 6 (defensively was ok but not great, poor communication with Gallas on at least one occasion, great goal though)

Song: 6.5 (solid, decent passing)
Diaby: 5 (still not good enough. Made a few nice moves but there's no end product. Gave the ball away in our own half needlessly and still shoved off easily)
Cesc: 11 (out of this world performance)

Arshavin: 6.5 (generally looked lively, well taken goal)
RvP: 7.5 (led the line quite well, needs to be more clinical and needs to stop trying to shimmy past the entire defence)
Rosicky: 6.5 (outlet for the ball, a few good passes)

Walcott: 6.5 (showed good control and speed, nice goal)
Bendtner: 6 (worked very hard, great goal, needs to be more clinical)
Ramsey: 6 (came on and did well)

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom