• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v Liverpool | Carling Cup | 28th Oct 19:45 (H)

Ron Burgundy

Established Member
AliBabaBrewer said:
Am I the only one who stills gets annoyed when Sky Sports says things like 'Young Guns see off Liverpool'.

Half the team are experienced first teamers!

Fabianski - 24
Gilbert - 21
Senderos - 24
Silvestre - 32
Gibbs - 20
Eastmond - 18
Merida - 19
Ramsey - 18
Nasri - 22
Bendtner - 21
Eduardo - 26

Whilst yes, the average age was 22, which is still young, it's not the same as last season when the average age was something like 19, when all the media was jizzing over us. Only 3 in the team were teenagers!

Yeah, it's fair to say that our team wasn't as young as it's been previously, but if you take into account that Vela (20) and Wilshere (17) would likely have played if fit (possibly in place of Eduardo and Bendtner), it might've decreased the average age.

Oh, and not that it's important, but Gilbert is actually 22.

Ron Burgundy

Established Member
Oh, and our average age decreases quite a lot if you take the average age of the match squad, as opposed to the starting XI.

xcdude24

Established Member
Been thinking about it, and I want Tottenham away. You gotta play tough games at some point.

*Or City at home if Adebayor plays.

alonso14

Established Member
I had a really good time yesterday

Got pissed...very pissed

Ended up singing Arsenal songs on the tube cause no one was singing!

One group were giving us some banter, and it transpired that one of them was a United fan, and he hot so much stick!!

Well done on the win, deserved...although considering the numpties we had on the park (yes, you Voronin) I thought we played ok......

xcdude24

Established Member
alonso14 said:

Got pissed...very pissed

One group were giving us some banter, and it transpired that one of them was a United fan, and he hot so much stick!!

Well done on the win, deserved...although considering the numpties we had on the park (yes, you Voronin) I thought we played ok......

Fair play with the beach balls, by the way. Looks like I might be heading up to Anfield next month, i'll let you know if I make the trip.

alonso14

Established Member
xcdude24 said:
alonso14 said:

Got pissed...very pissed

Fair play with the beach balls, by the way. Looks like I might be heading up to Anfield next month, i'll let you know if I make the trip.

let me know, and I'll buy you a pint in the bext pre match boozer at Anfield!!

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/merida-i-hope-to-get-a-new-arsenal-contract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... l-contract</a>

Merida seems to be in a buoyant mood after the victory. May be the injuries to Wilshere and Vela will help us in keeping another bright young prospect in.

ricky1985

Established Member
Just listened to his post-match interview, he sounds exactly like Cesc. Same accent, same words used, same calm manner, and intelligent with what he says.

Del Boy

Established Member
Didn't anyone hear Ramsey and his post match interview? Came across well and said "Liverpool couldn't live with us". Really wound the scousers up... :lol:

progman07

Established Member
Iloveyouarsenewenger said:
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/merida-i-hope-to-get-a-new-arsenal-contract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Merida seems to be in a buoyant mood after the victory. May be the injuries to Wilshere and Vela will help us in keeping another bright young prospect in.
Merida played last season as well when Vela and Wilshere were fit.

otfgoon

Established Member
progman07 said:
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/merida-i-hope-to-get-a-new-arsenal-contract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With Nasri going back to first team duties and I assume he'll keep his place too even if the other two come back. Delighted to see the lad wants a new contract. EDIT: misleading headline. Hope he signs one soon though.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
progman07 said:

But, I don't think he'd have made it to the starting line up in this time if Vela and Wilshere were fit and not finding a place even in the CC fist eleven could have forced him out after the current contract expires.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i dont know about that.. we might not have had Bendtner or Eastmond playing in the CC if Vela and Wilshere were fit.. I think Merida would have started anyway..

and when the f*ck did he grow to 5'11" and 180 lbs? he was 5'9" and about 160 last time I looked up his profile.. looks like he shot up a bit.. he is basically at my hockey "playing weight" from high school... :shock:

Lord Dula

Established Member
no way is any outfield player bar bendtner and perhaps djourou 13 stone anyways

I'm 6 foot and look like the animal dave batista ad i weigh 10 st 12

outlaw_member

Established Member
GaelForce22 said:
Did you mean that?

Absolutely. Xabi Alonso was a brilliant prospect at Sociedad and was expected to become one of the best deep lying playmakers in the World. At Liverpool, he fit in seamlessly within Benitez's system but he only really excelled for the first time last season and still tapered off towards the end. Having left for Madrid in the summer, he hasn't managed to pick up any form as of yet.

Aquilani is a mobile and offensive minded midfielder, so he will naturally be involved higher up the pitch, enabling him to affect the game more directly. Injuries is the only thing that has so far stopped him in his career, because his ability and potential is unquestionable. He will also have to hope that Benitez adjusts his system to allow Aquilani his freedom but if he tries to restrict him, than it might not work out.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Full Name.......Fran Merida Perez
Birth Date......March 4, 1990
Birth Place.....Barcelona, Spain
Height..........5' 11" (1.80m)
Weight..........181 lbs (82 kg)
Age.............19
Position........Midfielder
Squad No........43

from Soccernet... only place i see his weight listed.. if he's 180lbs, he is one beefy kid.. (and he doesnt look fat, so that means more solid)

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
outlaw_member said:
GaelForce22 said:
Did you mean that?

Absolutely. Xabi Alonso was a brilliant prospect at Sociedad and was expected to become one of the best deep lying playmakers in the World. At Liverpool, he fit in seamlessly within Benitez's system but he only really excelled for the first time last season and still tapered off towards the end. Having left for Madrid in the summer, he hasn't managed to pick up any form as of yet.

Aquilani is a mobile and offensive minded midfielder, so he will naturally be involved higher up the pitch, enabling him to affect the game more directly. Injuries is the only thing that has so far stopped him in his career, because his ability and potential is unquestionable. He will also have to hope that Benitez adjusts his system to allow Aquilani his freedom but if he tries to restrict him, than it might not work out.
i think he'll struggle with the physicality.. and as you said, he's always hurt.. and when he gets hurt, he's uaually out for a couple months at a time.. if i were 'Pool, i wouldnt count on him too much

he hasnt completed anywhere near a full season in his career.. closest was back in 05-06 when he played 34 games (and that includes Europe)

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary
Top Bottom