• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v Man U CL 2nd Leg May 05, 2009, 19:45

Rohit

Established Member
Key will be to get an early goal. We need to look to score not wait for the goal to come. With Rio out anything can happen. I am still wary of playing 4-4-2, simply because we do not function defensively as a unit. United's movement is good and they will easily manage to pull Song and Fabregas out of position and have midfielders make runs into the box.

We will need to be audacious this time though in the true sense of the word.

GaelForce22

Established Member
-----------Almunia

Sagna---Toure---Silvestre---Gibbs

Walcott--Fabregas--Song--Nasri

------Van Persie---Adebayor

3-1 Arsenal, see you in the final Chelsea.

progman07

Established Member
It will be like 2 years ago against PSV. They won it 1-0 in the first leg, and then we were fighting to score 2, but after 1-0 they leveled it, and at 1-1 we had to score another two.

1-0 to Man Utd is possibly the worst first leg we could have had, as the home game will be quite even and they'll surely score, I can't imagine us scoring 3.

Proof

Established Member
--------------- Almunia -------------
--- Sagna ---- Toure --- Djourou --- Clichy ----
--- Walcott ---- Fabregas ---- Song --- Nasri ----
--------- Adebayor ------ Van Persie/Eduardo ----

We didn't conceded at the Emirates in CL, this season.
2-0 to us. Come on you Gunners!

progman07

Established Member
I hope Wenger realizes how decisive this game could be in his Arsenal career. Hopefully he steps up and gets his decisions correct. No more experimenting, no more cowardly defensive tactics. Go and play what we can, 4-4-2 with the best available midfield.

Proof

Established Member
It's funny Progman, because when I said that I hate the defensive cowardly tactics on the Barcelona thread, you quoted me and said that those tactics and formations are smart not cowardly.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Remember all the past games in CL, when we sucked on the first tie but came back kicking ass on return leg at Emirates. I have a huge feeling that this will happen again and we will be firing on all cylinders.

They said that Rvp and Clichy should be back for Tuesday, so the lineup should definitely be the obvious one.

Almunia

Sagna Toure Djorou Clichy (Gibbs)

Walcott Fabregas Song Nasri

Van Persie (Eduardo)
Adebayor

We need to score our first goal in the first 20 minutes and make Manure feel the pressure.

Let's hope they lost Rio and although it may sound as "dirty tactic" we need to make sure to piss Rooney off because he is oen yellow away from missing the next game. This can be in our advantage.

I am sure Wenger will calculate all of details.

All in all I feel very positive and we should be through.

2:0 for us.
Ade and Song

progman07

Established Member
proof_afc said:
It's funny Progman, because when I said that I hate the defensive cowardly tactics on the Barcelona thread, you quoted me and said that those tactics and formations are smart not cowardly.
You do have a point, but when you start to compare Chelsea's defense and ours, you will start to realize that they can defend, and we can't. Wenger tells us we will attack but he is sacred to put an attacking lineup together. Chelsea were just smart enough to DEFEND. We are stupid enough to 'defend'. With small capitals. They close the opponents down, never let any player free, while our defensive tactics mean we won't attack effectively.

Were we defending as well as Chelsea, I'd be praising Wenger, but obviously we are far from that.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
We have to play with two strikers, two proper forwards who stay up front rather than flitting between midfield and up top. Given injuries, the team picks itself.

Almunia

Gibbs
Silvestre
Toure
Sagna

Nasri
Cesc
Song
Walcott

Adebayor
Eduardo

I didn't expect us to win this tie but I know that there's no reason why we can't.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
If we went by that logic, we'd be playing with only five players from the first leg.

Ade isn't a lone striker and his performance was Wenger's fault for playing him in that role. He's never played well by himself and last night wasn't going to be the game that changed.

Biggus

Established Member
Ade wasn't that bad he was fed on scraps, Cesc was too far forward and couldn't pull the strings, f**k all was created- but you know when Monsieur Wenger has an idea in his head he will give it half a season just to be sure it won't work.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Well, I'd contest that. I've never been convinced by his lone ranger performances.

Anyway, he hardly got the service last night to put in a reasonable performance, there was barely any forward supportive movement.

Gurgen

Established Member
That doesn't excuse his shocking play when he did get the ball. Bendtner got no support at all at Anfield and still had a good game.

I'd start RvP and Eduardo for this.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Gurgen said:
That doesn't excuse his shocking play when he did get the ball. Bendtner got no support at all at Anfield and still had a good game.

Isn't VP injured for that game? If not, I'd actually agree with you if only to refresh the team.

sabret00the

Established Member
Gurgen said:

Seconded.

Biggus

Established Member
Must have been watching a different game to me, my jaw dropped when I saw Bendtner appear instead of Eduardo.....At 70 f**king minutes mind you.

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
Biggus said:
Must have been watching a different game to me, my jaw dropped when I saw Bendtner appear instead of Eduardo.....At 70 f**king minutes mind you.

How's about we leave this **** to the first leg match thread?

So, we need to play the game of our lives. Everyone needs to be flawless (i.e. there's no room for Diaby), but we can do this...

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom