• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal vs Barcelona | CL QF | Wed 31 March 19:45 | ITV1

KY

Established Member
Thierry Henry said:
It would have been better if we had won but 2-2 is not a bad result.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_6068360,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 60,00.html</a>

I'd really like to know who he meant by "we"... Sky sports intrepret it as Barca but I wouldn't be surprised if he meant Arsenal. :p

ricky1985

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
ricky1985 said:
asajoseph said:
Eboue should start ahead of Sagna - he's been a better player for most of the last 3 months, and Sagna is just too one-dimensional to be effective against Barca.
I think it goes beyond just "who is the better right back?". It's our whole mindset. If we're trying to win the game, if we're going out to play our football, dominate possession and win in just about the only way we can, then Eboue has to start at right back, we have to pick a midfield with the sole purpose of dominating the ball and creating chances, and most importantly we have to pick a forward line that is just that; a forward line. Not Rosicky, or Eboue, but Walcott, or Arshavin, or Eduardo, or Vela. Forwards. Players capable of making runs beyond the ball, and scoring goals.

Wenger's caution has got to stop, not only does it reduce our chances tactically, but it sends entirely the wrong message to an already fragile group of players. The players lack confidence in a huge way when they face the best teams, teams where individuals in the side have won more trophies than all of our players added together, Wenger's lack of belief is reflected in the team that he picks, that filters through and just adds to the problem. We pick Eboue at home against Portsmouth, why? Because we want to attack, and win the game, no regard for our opposition. We go away to Hull and we pick Sagna, what message are we sending to the players, to Hull, to the fans? We don't feel confident that we can dominate this game and so we're going to go for the safer option, in the hope it will stop us from getting beat in a close game, even if means we won't be able to attack with the same verve as we could do if we had Eboue at right back, or actual forwards up front.

At the very least we should have gone with Walcott and Arshavin from the start of yesterday's game. Two forwards, with real speed, who will make Maxwell and Alves think twice about rampaging forward, but Wenger was too frightened to even pick that combination at home against West Ham, or away to Hull - it's absolutely ridiculous.

It's all part of the problem we have in the big games, we need to make even the best teams play our game, it's our stadium, with 60,000 of our screaming fans, so you play our game, but, instead we go for the safe option, and try to reduce our chances of getting beat, instead of maximising our chances of scoring goals, dominating the ball, and winning the game.

Wenger needs to show some belief and courage, and maybe that will start to filter through to his players. It's becoming a joke now. Are we a team, like Barcelona, who go out to dominate the game, to monopolise the ball, and win through our brilliant, dominant attacking play - with little regard for tactical discipline? Or are we a team that tries to win by making the most of what we have, staying tight defensively, and counter-attacking?

Because we're neither one at the moment. Too scared to to play our own game, and not set-up to play like Chelsea or United. instead we're this half team, that just seems to muddle our way through. It's just not good enough.

Co-signed. Eboue is the way forward. Gibbs also needs to return.
I hate to talk like Barcelona are our football template, but, Wenger has to look at Barcelona and learn from them. He has to learn that going for the game, and maximising your attacking potential is the only way for a team that plays like we do to be successful. He has to learn that fullbacks are absolutely crucial, one of the most important positions in the team, in fact, vital to the proper functioning of the team, and that it's not just about crossing, that we all bang on about, it's about so much more than that. They have to be very good footballers, comfortable on the ball at all times, able to link with their forwards and midfielders, and most importantly have to have the confidence and intelligence to make runs beyond the ball into the space that they so often have available to them.

Sagna and Clichy, whilst very, very good fullbacks, would reduce Barcelona's attacking fluency by 50% on their own, if they were there in place of Maxwell and Alves. They are simply not half the footballers those two are. I said last season that it was a blessing in disguise Alves not being available in the Champions League final, I see now I was completely wrong. United are lucky he wasn't there, and lucky Maxwell wasn't playing for Barca then either. The way they help to pin teams back is priceless, they're an out ball that's always available.

We have so many ways in which we can improve, so much room for growth, and I just hope Wenger takes everything on-board, and isn't afraid to make the changes where they're needed.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Precisely, Ricky. The fullbacks are like the lever which allows you to pull the rope, or the ball in this case up and down the pitch. They allow you to progress the ball in wide areas and the ability to make triangular passes is dependent on their quality. You can get in behind the opposition by making just two successful one-two's with an onrushing fullback. One to get past the midfielder and the other to get past the fullback. As the opponent player is often out numbered two-to-one in those situations, it's almost a dead certain way of getting in behind a defence. It's no coincidence that we look so much more dangerous in wide areas when Eboue is at rightback.

Captain

Established Member
It would take less than five games at arsenal for people to call for the heads of Alves and Maxwell.

We play in the premiership boys, no matter what your wet dreams are.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Captain said:
It would take less than five games at arsenal for people to call for the heads of Alves and Maxwell.

We play in the premiership boys, no matter what your wet dreams are.

Who said we need Alves and Maxwell? Eboue and a good offensive leftback would suffice. What does the Premiership have to do with anything, anyway? Your not going to bleat on about some mythical aspect which is required in England, now are you?

Captain

Established Member
It took Walcott exactly three minutes to show what the winger heavy premiership does to a team with two attacking fullbacks, hell even Nasri was open all day on the left in the first half. Eboue got exposed for a whole season trying to attack incessantly. Chelsea tried it under Scolari and they got found out within a month and a half.

Splitting the centre backs to cover is not going to work; ball down the middle, gameover. We've all seen it many times and it amazes me that Arsenal fans who have watched this last four years don't see the weaknesses in these ideas that pop up every now and then.

You simply cannot have two attacking fullbacks in this league. There's a very good reason why nearly every full back of the year dating back to when the league began has primarily been a defensive stalwart (with the odd one having an efficient, if unspectacular attacking game).

USgoonergirl

Established Member
thegame24 said:
Terrible offered no support to the team when they had all the ball, all sitting there ****ting themselves though im not suprised as i reckon half of them wernt arsenal fans.
I thought the fans were fine, got behind the team a lot, especially when we couldnt get the ball off them. There was some frustration at times because of that, but I dont think the support was close to terrible.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
I can never tell how the fans are via video, so I don't try.

Theo said they were great, so, by that reckoning, they were great.

ricky1985

Established Member
Captain said:
It took Walcott exactly three minutes to show what the winger heavy premiership does to a team with two attacking fullbacks, hell even Nasri was open all day on the left in the first half. Eboue got exposed for a whole season trying to attack incessantly. Chelsea tried it under Scolari and they got found out within a month and a half.

Splitting the centre backs to cover is not going to work; ball down the middle, gameover. We've all seen it many times and it amazes me that Arsenal fans who have watched this last four years don't see the weaknesses in these ideas that pop up every now and then.

You simply cannot have two attacking fullbacks in this league. There's a very good reason why nearly every full back of the year dating back to when the league began has primarily been a defensive stalwart (with the odd one having an efficient, if unspectacular attacking game).
It's a very fair point that you make, and I've often watched Barcelona in La Liga, seen their trademark "splitting centrebacks", and thought "there's no way that would work in the Premier League, one ball up to Kevin Davies and it's good night", the Premier League is just far more direct.

The problem I have is I feel we're trying to play a very continental game in virtually all other areas of the team, instead of building based on the successful teams around us, Chelsea or United, where defensive solidity comes first - everything they do is built from a defensive foundation, as opposed to attacking domination. We're trying to build a team that can dominate it's way to winning enough games to win League titles, that requires attacking fullbacks who are extremely comfortable on the ball. It's so vital to a team that tries to play like we do.

patrick42uk

Established Member
On Barca's pressing, I reckon its a strength and a weakness. THere was a couple of times in the second half when Bendtner got a hold of the ball and switched the play in our half and there was acres and acres of space on the other side. That something we should be looking at. If you move the ball quickly when you'v recovered it, you can exploit the space.

hujja

Established Member
thegame24 said:
Listen ffs, we gave them too much respect and made them look better. I wathc them in la liga every week and ****ter teams dont even get owned like that.

Give it up mate. This wankfest won't end any time soon.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Captain said:

The above has happened to defensive fullbacks aswell and we've been routinely exposed even with predominantly defensive fullbacks, so you don't really have a point.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
hujja said:
thegame24 said:
Listen ffs, we gave them too much respect and made them look better. I wathc them in la liga every week and ****ter teams dont even get owned like that.

Give it up mate. This wankfest won't end any time soon.

Thegame is spot on, watch them in spain playing we were ****ing ****, it was our own fault that we were getting outclassed not the class from barcelona

gunner321

Barca were constantly pushing and swarming around our players when they lost the ball. Even Messi near our own corner flag was working ****ing hard to close down and force errors from us.

Contrast that to the way we played. No closing down letting their defender pick a pass for Ibra for the first. And again, why no one was closing down one of the best creative midfielders in the world in Xavi is amazing. Just stood back and let him pick a perfect ball to Ibra.

We need that kind of intense work ethic in our squad. Not to mention a better goalkeeper.

That was the thing that impressed me the most in Barca while they humiliated us for 70 minutes. Their massive work rate.

And if we don't up our work rate we won't get near their weakened back line in the next leg, especially considering they will have Iniesta alongside Xavi. Both those guys and their DM will work like dogs for the little time they won't have possession of the ball.

Captain

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
It's a very fair point that you make, and I've often watched Barcelona in La Liga, seen their trademark "splitting centrebacks", and thought "there's no way that would work in the Premier League, one ball up to Kevin Davies and it's good night", the Premier League is just far more direct.

The problem I have is I feel we're trying to play a very continental game in virtually all other areas of the team, instead of building based on the successful teams around us, Chelsea or United, where defensive solidity comes first - everything they do is built from a defensive foundation, as opposed to attacking domination. We're trying to build a team that can dominate it's way to winning enough games to win League titles, that requires attacking fullbacks who are extremely comfortable on the ball. It's so vital to a team that tries to play like we do.

I'm following a policy of no criticism until the end of the season but then I'll tell you what I really think. :wink:

gunner321

In fact I remember Man Utd fans saying that Barca had a weakened back line for the CL final so Rooney and Ronaldo would have a field day. Problem was they couldn't get the ball enough to expose that.

And that United side was far better than our current side in big games.

As for Walcott, he came on and took Barca by surprise with 20minutes left to go. And they were getting complacent. I can't see him doing much if he starts against a fresh Barca side who will be fully aware of his threat. And in the next leg there is no way they will lose focus.

Captain

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
On Barca's pressing, I reckon its a strength and a weakness. THere was a couple of times in the second half when Bendtner got a hold of the ball and switched the play in our half and there was acres and acres of space on the other side. That something we should be looking at. If you move the ball quickly when you'v recovered it, you can exploit the space.

I think the shape that has now been forced on us for the second leg could actually be advantageous. Nasri central, Rosicky left, Theo right with probably Eboue in defence is a line-up that strikes me as capable of asking questions while maintaining the small semblance of a defensive game that we have.

Timleaf

Established Member
patrick42uk said:

Yeah, Barcelona are most likely to win the ball back straight after they've lost it, when they can commit numbers to their pressing game, hunt for the ball in three's and fours. We have to move the ball quicker in the second leg and make the pitch as big as possible.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom