• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toast

Established Member

I've taken the liberty of writing out a corrected translation of the key parts. There's some very interesting stuff in there.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Nobody knows if he’ll stay or go, not even Wenger” says David Ornstein, Arsenal-reporter from the BBC. “But I think Wenger will stay.”

It’s almost unimaginable that a coach against whom the fans have been protesting for months, will extend his contract. “And yet it’s true. It’s a bit of a mess at Arsenal at the moment” says Ornstein.

There are many different opinions within the club, for example between the main shareholders Alisher Usmanov and Stan Kroenke. This has led to somewhat of a stalemate and I think it’s now too late to intervene.”

And what about Wenger himself? “Wenger wants to stay, but only on his terms. That means total control over the club, just like he’s used to. The club wants to modernise and the question is therefore if Wenger wants to remain as manager if the structure changes. For example, the club is considering appointing a technical director, but that doesn't sit well with Wenger. A technical director of note is certainly not up for discussion for him. He would never tolerate someone like Marc Overmars.”

“The problem is that Wenger himself also believes that his approach is unsurpassed. He is not or hardly open to any innovations. For example, the club invested heavily in a data-analysis system, video-analysis and other modern aides. But from that Wenger picks and uses only that which he personally considers to be useful. He far too often assumes he alone knows what's right.”

Why are the protests so strong? “The fans have seen the same pattern too often. Arsenal start the season well, hit a dip of form around November and after Christmas they are lagging behind in all competitions. It’s a form of boredom."

Successors
Suppose that Arsenal lose at Wembley on Saturday and next week they dó announce Wenger’s departure. Ornstein: “I don’t think there’ve been talks with successors. But of course there’s a list. The first name on the list is that of Leonardo Jardim. The coach of AS Monaco, Wenger’s old club. Right now, Arsenal would kill to have a team like Monaco.”

Last edited:

shoom

Interesting choice of words here, especially taken with his other digs at the club for not renewing his contract earlier. Doesn't sound like a man confident in his own future to me.

"A strong club is a club that makes a decision. It is wrong that in modern society it is not a question of whether a decision is right but whether it is popular. That has nothing to do with competence. People with responsibility have to make the right decision."

Kingslayer

Forza Milan
Interesting choice of words here, especially taken with his other digs at the club for not renewing his contract earlier. Doesn't sound like a man confident in his own future to me.

"A strong club is a club that makes a decision. It is wrong that in modern society it is not a question of whether a decision is right but whether it is popular. That has nothing to do with competence. People with responsibility have to make the right decision."

Looks like gunnerblog agrees with you:

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Would be great if he left just to have another laugh at John Cross.

From his comments it does seem like he could well be off though. If it is Gazidis who leaves instead of Wenger than what does that say about the situation at the club? The manager is effectively more powerful than the person who's supposed to be his boss.

OShea's2010

The fact is that what he's said is true. Most football fans opinions are formed from an uneducated position. They're self taught or get their education from an amateur coach who have little or no qualifications themselves.
It doesn't take a genius to know what Wenger's doing isn't working. He's hardly speaking from a position of strength. He's effectively saying if you're not a manager or such like, then your opinion is invalid. Admittedly there are a lot of uneducated views but also a good number of worthwhile analysis and criticism. Maybe if he got out of his bubble and took on board some of the good stuff, he wouldn't be in this position

FreakySami

I hope gazidis and other board members get outed. They are the reason of the lack of major signings and the lack of forward thinking at the club. They are also the reason of getting that statdna company which is useful but I know how those companies compare players and predict player development. It requires a human touch which a machine cannot see. An expert will always be better at it than a machine at the end and Arsène is the ultimate expert.
They have tried the method using baseball teams and it never worked. It's essential to add a human side. To any of the decisions.
The board need to recommend selling the club then GTFO and give Wenger the opportunity to actually do his magic.

If he leaves today, I will be so brokenhearted because the board are hiding and I hope he reveals everything and puts them to the sword after he lives.

FreakySami

It doesn't take a genius to know what Wenger's doing isn't working. He's hardly speaking from a position of strength. He's effectively saying if you're not a manager or such like, then your opinion is invalid. Admittedly there are a lot of uneducated views but also a good number of worthwhile analysis and criticism. Maybe if he got out of his bubble and took on board some of the good stuff, he wouldn't be in this position

You have no idea what you are taking about

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Getting the feeling from interviews today he is on the way out.

What a mess we could be in come Monday.

field442

Trusted ⭐
Keown's take on his statement.

"Wenger seems very defiant. He doesn't sound like a man who is about to go. He is calling out the board, asking them to not go with the popular decision - because the fans are against him.

In that interview, he is a different Arsène Wenger. It is his life! He doesn't want to let go of Arsenal Football Club. He said "retired people die!" That's how serious he is about it.

His life is dependent on staying in management. I cannot believe that after all he has achieved over the last 12 years that the fans are against him."

I guess there's a monkey brain in that monkey head.

FreakySami

Neither do you to be honest. Your postings on Arséne are basically verbal diarrhea.
Which part. Did you ever study neuron networks,ai and pattern recognition and know how those system work (statdna)? Did you look comprehensively at how the psychological affects the human? How emotions affect players. How we measure up to the goals we set ( failing point wise this year I have to admit unfortunately)

I might be defending Wenger and be very hard on you but it's because you are being very narrow minded in your analysis and base it on the manager having all the responsibilities and not realizing there are others with great power at the club that are parasites and live off of his unparalleled talent of doing something with relatively nothing ( the board) .

Toast

Established Member
Wenger will get a new contract. The board have made no preparations for life after Wenger, ergo they are not really willing to let him go and will cave. We're going to kick the can down the road.

field442

Trusted ⭐
Which part. Did you ever study neuron networks,ai and pattern recognition and know how those system work (statdna)? Did you look comprehensively at how the psychological affects the human? How emotions affect players. How we measure up to the goals we set ( failing point wise this year I have to admit unfortunately)

I might be defending Wenger and be very hard on you but it's because you are being very narrow minded in your analysis and base it on the manager having all the responsibilities and not realizing there are others with great power at the club that are parasites and live off of his unparalleled talent of doing something with relatively nothing ( the board) .

I'm not a fan of statDNA, i think it's a steaming pile of ****. I'm not however about to absolve Wenger of any blame. He's been given money to spend, he's given control over what players to buy. He's the one responsible for results on the pitch and our yearly capitulations in February/March. You've built up a defense mechanism where you pass the buck onto the board to absolve the manager of any blame.

Axel9090

If theres something he wants to get off his chest, then he should stop being a wuss and get on with it or forever be held accountable for failure to win the premier league since 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom