• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Klopp has more points against the current top 6 than any other manager/team since he's been here. Correct me if I'm wrong.
So what does that say about Klopp as he lost more games to lower clubs then, because they ended up on virtually the same number of points. And less points than us the year before.

If that had been us you'd have said we're alright against top clubs but sh*t the bed in games we should be winning. This managers not good enough.:lol:

Last edited:

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
Nothing arbitary about picking the year in which the first oligarch arrived in football bro.

Manchester United have tried and actually succeeded in outspending the oil clubs in some years. Pretending they've succeeded against the money is hilarious.

Money isn't the reason Arsenal haven't won the league for so long, it's the reason none of the other clubs have won the league for so long, bar one in one year. That's my reply.

Depends what your definition of an oligarch is, you use the word widely and loosely as a sort of catch all and make that finite, Im guessing around the Abramovich era? In fact if by oligarch you mean "businessman" then they have always been in the game, Jack Walker was one, he spent a lot of money to win the title and outspent so called bigger teams. I mentioned Silvio Berlusconi before, you didn't respond to that, remember, he was around in the nineties too. I can only go back to the late eighties/nineties with these just on the hoof. Real Madrid are no different to Man City really in the terms you bandy around, they are owned by the royal family of Spain, have been for ever, practically since they were founded, theyve just been a "big" club for longer. Man City are effectively owned by the royal family of the UAE same with PSG and Qatar. All "oligarchs" in the wide ranging way you throw it around but again that wont fit your world view that everything has gone wrong and is against Wenger in the last 13 years or whatever, when in fact that is just how the game is and has been since the beginning of time. Other teams than Real have won La Liga despite being against the might of the Spanish royal family whats to stop any club, like say Leicester beating the arabs occasionally, why not Arsenal?

The Man Utd thing is bizarre I've never said they are against the money, wtf... Man Utd have always had money, as have Arsenal actually. Yes they do tend to go and spend it even now as they want to be a competitive club in the current context of big tv money etc (which we do get as well but refuse to spend) and they want to maintain their brand for their lovely yank owners by winning things and yes are failing a bit currently in the big comps. They did change their manager though and won the europa last season and league cup, which shows progress/ambition. They also spooged the best part of £200 million on 2 players and dont look like being close to a title this year so that alone shows its not just all about money.

Last edited:

karl

Pep's a great manager, just that his style of play requires players of high technical quality and footballing intelligence - usually the better & thus more expensive players.

Some of Wenger's early football was truly brilliant in it's execution, however, the football that Pep's Barca played were like nothing I'd seen before in it's ruthlessness, intensity & technical brilliance.

I don't care how much money you spend to win a championship as long as you play football worthy of that spend. If you have the best players in the world then you should try and play the most efficient & attractive football. I've always liked how City have played in the last 6-7 years.
Well, we have never seen him win something without the best players in a league, so it is hard to prove. What you say is the equivalent of the best driver in F1 needing the best car in order to win. He may well be the best, but has only ever done it with top resources.

I also enjoy watching City at their best, even as an Arsenal fan. Who wouldn't enjoy watching the best footballers in action.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
While club's have had money in the past the seemingly unlimited flow of it for certain club's at the minute, undeniable. City and United but their way out of mistakes

Maybe it seems that way, Abramovichs investments in the team have slowed up pretty rapidly over the last few years. Will be interesting to see if the initial investments for all these teams have real legs on them ie 20-30 years worth. I would hazard a guess probably not and Chelsea is already starting to prove that with their investments in the team of late Id say, its slowed down hasnt it?

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Well, we have never seen him win something without the best players in a league, so it is hard to prove. What you say is the equivalent of the best driver in F1 needing the best car in order to win. He may well be the best, but has only ever done it with top resources.

I also enjoy watching City at their best, even as an Arsenal fan. Who wouldn't enjoy watching the best footballers in action.
Can't deny that but if you examine the technical quality of City's play under Pep then he does require players with very good technical ability & footballing intelligence to play in his set-up so he'll get the best players out there. He's already produced some of the finest football seen in the EPL since the days of Wenger's Arsenal in the noughties. I don't doubt the dude one iota. Regardless of having great players his win rate is phenomenal & his teams play with a swagger and desire to win. Best coach in world football for me and has been for a few years.

Gets way too little credit for what he did at Barca...

BBF

His arrogance is unreal. I don't understand where he gets it from? FA cup trophies? His wage? Years of xenophobic comments? **** knows.

There's probably at least 15 people in that press room with a better education who are doing their job properly and he still thinks he's better than them.

If this was 2004 Wenger you'd think, "Fair enough." But it's not.

say yes

forum master baiter
Frustrated by the constant questioning recently Wenger finally admitted the former Barcelona star will be leaving the Emirates this month.

He said: “It looks like Sanchez will not extend his contract.

“But we want to keep Jack and if we have an opportunity maybe to keep Özil, the rebuild will be less deep than if all the three left.

What do you think gave him that impression? :lol:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Depends what your definition of an oligarch is, you use the word widely and loosely as a sort of catch all and make that finite, Im guessing around the Abramovich era? In fact if by oligarch you mean "businessman" then they have always been in the game, Jack Walker was one, he spent a lot of money to win the title and outspent so called bigger teams. I mentioned Silvio Berlusconi before, you didn't respond to that, remember, he was around in the nineties too. I can only go back to the late eighties/nineties with these just on the hoof. Real Madrid are no different to Man City really in the terms you bandy around, they are owned by the royal family of Spain, have been for ever, practically since they were founded, theyve just been a "big" club for longer. Man City are effectively owned by the royal family of the UAE same with PSG and Qatar. All "oligarchs" in the wide ranging way you throw it around but again that wont fit your world view that everything has gone wrong and is against Wenger in the last 13 years or whatever, when in fact that is just how the game is and has been since the beginning of time. Other teams than Real have won La Liga despite being against the might of the Spanish royal family whats to stop any club, like say Leicester beating the arabs occasionally, why not Arsenal?

The Man Utd thing is bizarre I've never said they are against the money, wtf... Man Utd have always had money, as have Arsenal actually. Yes they do tend to go and spend it even now as they want to be a competitive club in the current context of big tv money etc (which we do get as well but refuse to spend) and they want to maintain their brand for their lovely yank owners by winning things and yes are failing a bit currently in the big comps. They did change their manager though and won the europa last season and league cup, which shows progress/ambition. They also spooged the best part of £200 million on 2 players and dont look like being close to a title this year so that alone shows its not just all about money.
The game hasn't been like this since the beginning of time in England. Brian Clough brought a team up from 5 yrs in Div 2 and won the Div 1 title and league cup in the next season. Imagine that today. Impossible.

3 teams have an iron grip on this league. They are 1,2,3 for squad cost, and currently sit 1,2,3 in the table. Their increasing spending is pulling them further away from the rest. The teams 4,5, 6 for squad cost sit in positions 4,5,6 in the table, although Arsenal would need to overtake Sp**s to get the order right.

The odds of the next Arsenal, Liverpool, Sp**s manager winning this league are slim at best. But there's nothing wrong with fans wanting to change an aging manager to start a new era, that's normal. The man's done really well though by any objective measure, there's no need for fans to denegrate his achievements.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Not sure how Wenger can continue to honour his contract. Can't remember any sphere of human activity where a person has been so vilified for so little reason.

redanddread

The game hasn't been like this since the beginning of time in England. Brian Clough brought a team up from 5 yrs in Div 2 and won the Div 1 title and league cup in the next season. Imagine that today. Impossible.

3 teams have an iron grip on this league. They are 1,2,3 for squad cost, and currently sit 1,2,3 in the table. Their increasing spending is pulling them further away from the rest. The teams 4,5, 6 for squad cost sit in positions 4,5,6 in the table, although Arsenal would need to overtake Sp**s to get the order right.

The odds of the next Arsenal, Liverpool, Sp**s manager winning this league are slim at best. But there's nothing wrong with fans wanting to change an aging manager to start a new era, that's normal. The man's done really well though by any objective measure, there's no need for fans to denegrate his achievements.
Sure the odds may not be in OUR favour BUT IT CAN BE DONE and is DONE ALL THE TIME all over the football world. However, it's only done if you have the right set up and we don't, mainly because our manager is no longer good enough. WTF dude, everyone understands that more money means better players but you need to squeeze your noggin around the idea that very good managers can make their teams perform better than expected. Arsène hasn't been able to do that for a decade despite having one of the best infrastructures in place and a compliant BoD - he's had more than enough at his disposal to do more than he's done.

redanddread

Not sure how Wenger can continue to honour his contract. Can't remember any sphere of human activity where a person has been so vilified for so little reason.
It's like okay, we've had enough. Either you step up to the plate or give someone else a chance. He hasn't & he won't!
@Jury stated it in one of his posts - we just want to ****ing dream again and Arsène's crushed too many of our dreams in recent years for us to want him around. We're STALE!!

redanddread

Makes no difference, there was only one point between the two clubs which meant that they must have drawn or lost more to lower clubs then. Points can't lie.
The reality is that Liverpool is a better side than us at present. The table doesn't lie either.

Reactions: BBF

redanddread

So what does that say about Klopp as he lost more games to lower clubs then, because they ended up on virtually the same number of points. And less points than us the year before.

If that had been us you'd have said we're alright against top clubs but sh*t the bed in games we should be winning. This managers not good enough.:lol:
Klopps team hasn't been good enough at breaking down the smaller teams up to now, they're getting a lot better this season. However, I'd rather feel my teams have a chance against the best, rather than have a chance of being torn a new one.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
A decade into the future, Wenger’s achievements will receive glowing testimony in the record books.

Turn on on radio 5 live or god forbid, talk sport on a Saturday evening and all managers and players are being subjected to hysterical over-reactions from the fans.

Look up any high profile person on Twitter, they are being subjected to a torrent of abuse.

Andrés Escobar was shot six times at point blank range for scoring the only own goal of his career.

In terms of high-profile jobs, Wenger has bagged a cushy little number here. Anyone telling you otherwise is pulling a fast one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom