• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ashley Cole (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruisio

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
Cruisio said:
- Åñð®éw - said:
On a footballing level cole is supirior to any other LB in the whole world. so wenger must try everything in his power to make him stay and sign a contract for the next 5 years or somthing like that. but on a personal level they dont have to like eachother they dont even have to talk to eachother... so for me i hate the CASHELY BAS***D but for my club and all gunner supporters... He Must Stay

Once again, a left-back has NEVER made a major impact to a team. So what if he's the best left-back in the world? Left-backs can easily be replaced. Goalscorers (Henry) genuis' (Bergkamp) and leaders (Vieira, Toure, Lehmann) cannot. In my opinion, Ashley doesn't fit into any of those catergories

What crap.

call him a money-grabbing m*therf***r by all means, but you can't suddenly act like he's a bad player.

Goalscorers take the credit but each member of the team has their part to play. This is what people like Henry and Ronaldinho have to keep emphasising for dimwits when they collects their individual awards.

Cole raked up countless assists in our unbeaten season, he played a major part in our fluid attacking play. And his energy was essential to us not being exposed on the counter attacks. He's one of the best recovery defenders in the world, period.

He developed the ability to hit 60 yard cross-field passes with pin-point precision. Remember Henry's first goal against Inter at the San Siro? Cole was able to do a run and pass like that, whilst keeping Martins firmly in his back pocket at the same time.

Did I say he was a bad player? No I didn't. I said that YES he is the best left-back in the world, but we don't need him to do well. Your examples mean sweet f.a. my friend because what I said was that Cole can be easily replaced. If you don't think so then your a bigger Cole lover than we all thought. If last season taught us anything it's that we SURE as hell don't need Cole to defend well, for that we need Toure. Also, who DIDN'T play well in our unbeaten season?

I agree with Ronnie and Henry when they say its the team that counts. THAT'S why Cole should f**k off, how can you not see the contradiction with your comment?

burnsjed

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
I was also not attempting to play down the gravity of meeting with another club whilst being under contract, especially one of our main rivals.

Cole made no attempt to say he had been set up at this meeting, rather that it never happened.

Big Poppa said:
He then went straight off to his honey moon and I doubt he'd have apreciated being contacted by his PR people just to let him know about wildly exaggerated extract from the blurb of his book had been written in the s*n!

Given that it was an extract from his book how could it have been wildly exaggerated? Unless you are suggesting what they printed as an extract was totally made up.

Big Poppa said:
He could have waited until he retired before releasing the book but maybe felt that he didn't want to continue his career with that cloud over his head. His intention has been to clear his name.

Or maybe he is using this as a way to get himself out of the club?
If he had wanted to have cleared his name he would have initially gone with the "my agent set me up at the meeting, I had no idea I was meeting with reps of Chelsea'", as opposed to "it never happened, honest gov"

As has been said, he my be one of the better players in his position, but regardless of that, I would rather we showed some integrity and let him go to the higgest bidder, regardless of if they are in Madrid or West london.

Shadow Moses

Established Member
At least there's one Arsenal player that will have a big arse grin on his face with all the Cashley nonsense . Gael Clichy! He knows he will be a starter next season once the mercenary leaves. The lad must be the happiest of our players ATM.

famous no 10

Established Member
Shadow Moses said:
At least there's one Arsenal player that will have a big arse grin on his face with all the Cashley nonesense. Gail Clichy! He knows he will be a starter next season once the mercenary leaves. The lad must be the happiest of our players ATM.

That's true, but equally he may get pissed off if we sign another lb as a first choice, which would be great if Wenger could find the utility cb/lb he spoke of.

Chichy has a long way to go, but a very good LB already...hopefully, he won't miss his chance to shine.

Grampus_Eight

More than anything else this is a sad situation. Most, if not all, the blame lays on Cole's shoulders.  He is naive and gullible.  I don't think he realized exactly what he was getting himself into by taking a meeting.  Chelsea's first priority was to de-stabilize Arsenal and then maybe eventually land a left-back.  

Peter Kenyon is an evil, evil man and Mourinho communes with dark forces - that is how he became the special one.  Their goal was to send a message to Arsenal that the rules don't apply to them and that they can and will try to get anyone they damn please.  They are fu*king **** down at the bridge.  They're said to have faxed in a £50M+ offer for Henry a few years ago.  Kenyon brought a check made out to Barcelona for Samuel Eto'o when he travelled to the Nou Camp for the second leg CL leg last year.  Those are the people Ashley made his bed with and he's been waiting to sleep in it for a year and a half now. All you can say is, forgive him, he knows not what he's done and what he continues to get himself into.  

He is the one that agreed to meet with Chelsea and has complained about the French boys and the lack of english players, especially flash bastar** like fat Frank Lampard and that **** bag JT, who he can go out with around London town.

It also has to be said that Cole is the best left back in the world.  Formed an outstanding partnership with Pires and Henry (the best in the history of the prem., maybe the history english football).  

Most importantly though is that he's underrated for his defending (the last couple of years he hasn't looked as good going forward).  He is one of the only fullbacks in the world that can consistently get the better of the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Robben, Duff, J. Cole. I would add Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Messi to that list.  

If you were starting your own all world XI he is the only Arsenal player who's an automatic first choice.  Jens may have forced his way in.  I'd put Kolo in too.  As for Henry, I'd take him, but unless you decide your All World XI is going to play through him, you might leave him out.  So it's sad that Cole's off, but the £14+ we'll get for him gives us a lot of money to fill some holes in the team.  

If we get the full £16 for him, the Boss could purchase Thuram, Richards and Appiah and still have money left over.  Those three, or three like them, would continue put the team in good stead over near, medium and long term

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Cruisio said:
Big Poppa said:
Cruisio said:
- Åñð®éw - said:
On a footballing level cole is supirior to any other LB in the whole world. so wenger must try everything in his power to make him stay and sign a contract for the next 5 years or somthing like that. but on a personal level they dont have to like eachother they dont even have to talk to eachother... so for me i hate the CASHELY BAS***D but for my club and all gunner supporters... He Must Stay

Once again, a left-back has NEVER made a major impact to a team. So what if he's the best left-back in the world? Left-backs can easily be replaced. Goalscorers (Henry) genuis' (Bergkamp) and leaders (Vieira, Toure, Lehmann) cannot. In my opinion, Ashley doesn't fit into any of those catergories

What crap.

call him a money-grabbing m*therf***r by all means, but you can't suddenly act like he's a bad player.

Goalscorers take the credit but each member of the team has their part to play. This is what people like Henry and Ronaldinho have to keep emphasising for dimwits when they collects their individual awards.

Cole raked up countless assists in our unbeaten season, he played a major part in our fluid attacking play. And his energy was essential to us not being exposed on the counter attacks. He's one of the best recovery defenders in the world, period.

He developed the ability to hit 60 yard cross-field passes with pin-point precision. Remember Henry's first goal against Inter at the San Siro? Cole was able to do a run and pass like that, whilst keeping Martins firmly in his back pocket at the same time.

Did I say he was a bad player? No I didn't. I said that YES he is the best left-back in the world, but we don't need him to do well. Your examples mean sweet f.a. my friend because what I said was that Cole can be easily replaced. If you don't think so then your a bigger Cole lover than we all thought. If last season taught us anything it's that we SURE as hell don't need Cole to defend well, for that we need Toure. Also, who DIDN'T play well in our unbeaten season?

I agree with Ronnie and Henry when they say its the team that counts. THAT'S why Cole should f**k off, how can you not see the contradiction with your comment?

There is no contradiction in my comment. I've maintained from the start that it's a team effort, and then went on to say that every individual has a major part to play in that effort, rather than just those who play in certain positions - which is what you seem to be suggesting?

The contradiction arrives when you claim that Cole is the best in the world in his position (incidentally I disagree) but that he can easily be replaced. If he is the best in the world, as you say - then any replacement will represent a weakening of the team.

If last season taught us anything it's that we SURE as hell don't need Cole

Erm, yes because we finished where in his absence?

who DIDN'T play well in our unbeaten season?

This means what!? What about the other 4 seasons that he's delivered consistently top performances? Strangely enough, that season was far from Vieira's best - and Gilberto had an indifferent campaign too, starting well but eventually losing his place to Edu and then being forced to play on the right to cover for the injured Ljungberg.

And please grow up with 'Cole lover' bullshit, what are you 10 years old or something? He was still an Arsenal player the last time I checked, so why is it such a big deal that I'm willing to reserve judgement? As far as I was aware this debate isn't about Cole's footballing merits, there is effectively no debate when it comes to that.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
burnsjed said:
Cole made no attempt to say he had been set up at this meeting, rather that it never happened.

If you believe S*n, then Cole has claimed that the meeting was the work of Arsenal bigwigs who arranged the whole thing then 'fed him to the sharks'. I cannot comment because I've yet to hear an official statement from Cole about what actually happened. He's not spoken in public about it yet, so until then I'll make no assumptions.

burnsjed said:
Given that it was an extract from his book how could it have been wildly exaggerated? Unless you are suggesting what they printed as an extract was totally made up.

You don't have to make up a quote for something to be misconstrued. Like I said before, I could probably publish a story about the wonderful romance novel called Silence of the Lambs and throw in a few quotes from the blurb containing the words 'Love' and 'Passion'.

burnsjed said:
Or maybe he is using this as a way to get himself out of the club?

Until I hear him say so, I'll make no such assumption.

burnsjed said:
If he had wanted to have cleared his name he would have initially gone with the "my agent set me up at the meeting, I had no idea I was meeting with reps of Chelsea'", as opposed to "it never happened, honest gov"

Like I said, he hasn't come out and said anything like that at all. All these assumptions flying around is probably the reason he decided to write the book.

burnsjed said:
As has been said, he my be one of the better players in his position, but regardless of that, I would rather we showed some integrity and let him go to the higgest bidder, regardless of if they are in Madrid or West london.

F**k that. Allowing one of your best players to go to one of your biggest rivals because you want to take advantage of them having a bottomless pit of cash equates to showing integrity?

Cruisio

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
Cruisio said:
Big Poppa said:
Cruisio said:
- Åñð®éw - said:

What crap.

There is no contradiction in my comment. I've maintained from the start that it's a team effort, and then went on to say that every individual has a major part to play in that effort, rather than just those who play in certain positions - which is what you seem to be suggesting?

The contradiction arrives when you claim that Cole is the best in the world in his position (incidentally I disagree) but that he can easily be replaced. If he is the best in the world, as you say - then any replacement will represent a weakening of the team.

If last season taught us anything it's that we SURE as hell don't need Cole

Erm, yes because we finished where in his absence?

who DIDN'T play well in our unbeaten season?

This means what!? What about the other 4 seasons that he's delivered consistently top performances? Strangely enough, that season was far from Vieira's best - and Gilberto had an indifferent campaign too, starting well but eventually losing his place to Edu and then being forced to play on the right to cover for the injured Ljungberg.

And please grow up with 'Cole lover' bullshit, what are you 10 years old or something? He was still an Arsenal player the last time I checked, so why is it such a big deal that I'm willing to reserve judgement? As far as I was aware this debate isn't about Cole's footballing merits, there is effectively no debate when it comes to that.

Dear oh dear, ok mate, i'm gonna do this so you can understand...

1. The contradiction was in the fact that you believe Cole is an important aspect to our TEAM. Whereas I don't think he is mainly because he's treating his TEAM and his CLUB like sh*t

2. I said that goalscorers, genuis' and leaders have a MORE important role to the team. They are not the ONLY important ones. Read the post again and you'll see

3. Yes, probably any other player playing at left-back would be a weakening in that position, but in that position only. Like I said, being the best doesn't make you any less of a c**t, just look at C.Ronaldo who probably could be one of the best if he sorted his attitude out

4. We didn't finish fourth because Cole wasn't playing, do me a favour.

5. I said you were "Cole loving" mainly as a joke. But it comes from the fact that you are fighting his corner so hard. I don't see what there is to defend. He met with our biggest rivals BEHIND our backs, then he got his payrise anyway and yet he's STILL appears to be *****ing (and if not *****in then in NO hurry what-so-ever to put these comments right) When Henry was being looked at by Barca he said he'd make a decision based on football reasons, whereas it loosk like Cole is making all of his decisions based on money. No, i'm not 10 years old, i'm a 19 year old season ticket holder who is waiting for an apology to the club I love from Mr. Cole

burnsjed

Established Member
Big Poppa,

He had every chance to give his account of the meeting with Chelsea at the hearing, he was found guilty what does that tell you.
How is anything he writes in a book going to change that, unless of course, his account of events has changed from the hearing to the book, wouldn't surprise me.

They were exerts from his book, apart from sensationalise (spelling!) the headline, not an awful lot more they can do.

It seems that you are giving him far more benefit then he deserves due to a fondness because you know/knew him in some shape or form, and due to the fact he has not come out and said anything to us.

What does that really tell you about him.

And Yes he can sod off to Chelsea for all I care, sorry.

Burnwinter

Established Member
If he wants to treat us as a money-making opportunity (like this ridiculous book and his showbiz wedding), he should be treated as a money-making opportunity.

It'd be nice if we could stitch up Chelsea by getting them to commit to sending Del Horno to Valencia, letting Roberto Carlos and Zambrotta find new homes, and then refusing to sell them Cole.

At the moment we're in a position of power. He's in uncertain form (not enough games to be sure), he's under contract to us until 2008. We can sell him now, or later, to whoever brings the most cash to the table, and in the mean time he will basically be forced to turn in good performances to maintain his value.

Just do whatever's best for the club - which might include him staying in the short term if the offers aren't right. That's how to show he's nothing more than an irrelevance in the grand scheme of things.

Asterix

Established Member
I'd hate to see him at Chelsea - if he leaves, send him to Madrid. He's still too good a player offensively and defensively for us to allow him to go to Chelsea.

At the moment teams like Manure, Chelsea, Pool and even the Spuds would be confident of scoring at least once against us, because we don't have the same aura of "thou shalt not pass" that we used to have. Losing Cole from the back four would further add to that perception.

It would really suck to have him linking with Ballack and Shevchenko.

But, if Gael gets fit again, we've certainly proved we thrive in adversity in the past. So sell him to Madrid, but not Chelsea.

mood

Big Poppa said:
YuenBiaoFan said:
Not really since there's been no denial from Cole's people and indeed Wenger even felt the need to comment on them.

To me that suggests that it's not 'Nuff said.'

If there was an apology to the fans in the book (Does anyone even know?), do you think The S*n would have printed it anyway?

If he was twice as critical of Chelsea in the blurb as he was with those from Arsenal, would they show it in their serialisation? All they do is use recycled quotes, which makes it appear like a fresh 'outburst' and gets everybody's knickers in a twist again.

Much more pertinent to them is the fact that they need to sell newspapers.

It's amazing how easily people are persuaded by a paper that writes crap like "Cole told 'pals' at his wedding that he wants to leave Arsenal..."

Yeah I can really imagine him talking about his Arsenal future to everyone on his wedding day!

How can you base your perceptions of somebody from such a source?

Exactly, The Sun will just pick the bit that would sell most. That whole 'scapegoat' thing was said by Ashley Cole 1.5 yrs ago.. the exact same lines as well saying the board did not back him and that they "fed him to the sharks". Exact same thing.. he just rewrote it. Why are fans more heated now than back then?. We'll never forgive Cole, but we have to back him as long as he's an Arsenal player.. we shouldn't boo our players no matter how terrible they are.

Cole was wrong for meeting Chelsea and I haven't forgiven him for that, but thats a long time ago now.. and he's still an Arsenal player and fan and the best LB in the world, so he'll continue to get my support.

What I'm saying is... why didnt everyone get as pissed off as they are at Cole now 1 yr ago? why all of a sudden. What's said by The Sun in his book was his thoughts and words from a long time ago.

awooga83

Established Member
The reason peple are upset is because he is bringing it up again, actually a year ago alot of people were irate, but over time they started to put it behind them this has just reignited those feelings many had before and all because he won't let it lie.

mood

awooga83 said:
The reason peple are upset is because he is bringing it up again, actually a year ago alot of people were irate, but over time they started to put it behind them this has just reignited those feelings many had before and all because he won't let it lie.

He hasn't brought it up again in that way. What we have read from The Sun is extracts from what is written in his book. You do not write a book overnight, he may have written that chapter a long time ago. He's trying to sell his book and express his feelings in it.. feelings that he believes in and will never change.

He hasn't come up to the media and said that, so in that sense, he hasn't brought it up again. If The Sun were not allowed to quote a few lines from his book, we wouldn't be even discussing this today.

awooga83

Established Member
Then don't release the book if you want to stay at Arsenal and you wnat to get the fans to put the incident behind them don't set about destabilizing the club.

mood

awooga83 said:
Then don't release the book if you want to stay at Arsenal and you wnat to get the fans to put the incident behind them don't set about destabilizing the club.

He never once slammed the fans or his love for the club, just the board.

He probably shouldn't have written that book, but that's his decision. All players write them these days anyway.

I wasn't planning on reading it, but I am now. I want to see what else Cole has written and maybe there is good in it. Reading Vieira's autobiography made me appreciate him more.. he really still loves the club.

bethie

mood said:
awooga83 said:

He hasn't brought it up again in that way. What we have read from The Sun is extracts from what is written in his book. You do not write a book overnight, he may have written that chapter a long time ago. He's trying to sell his book and express his feelings in it.. feelings that he believes in and will never change.

He hasn't come up to the media and said that, so in that sense, he hasn't brought it up again. If The Sun were not allowed to quote a few lines from his book, we wouldn't be even discussing this today.

And the whole point is?
To forgive Cashley?
Or not to boo him, if, and that's a big IF, he's still playing for the club come the new season.
To suspend our judgement until the book is out? (You know, to be fair to both side...)
Not to hurry off and sell him to the highest bidder.

Now, you have to ask yourself this as a gooner. Forget who's in the right or wrong. Think about Cashley, and what he can bring to us.
So is Cashley staying good for the team ultimately? Can we really do without him? What signal do you think this is going to send to the squad? Do we tolerate the crass antics of a naive and irresponsible talented player, just because he's good in what he does? Is using the media as the third mediator in any player - club disputes the new way of doing things in Arsenal?

I have already stated my stance on this question. As of most gooners in here i believe

awooga83

Established Member
By meeting with Chelsea he was disreguarding the fans who had supported him all through his career, meeting with chelsea i find unacceptable and find it a slap in the face to the fans he showed no loyalty. If he wanted to stay at the club he so loves he wouldn't have met with Chelsea and he wouldn't be releasing a book but from these actions its clear he doesn't care about the club but only about himself and if thats the case then he should get lost.

Bringing out a book criticizing the board and justifying meeting with Chelsea will destabilize the club and therefore anger me a fan.

Secondly i will back the board as if you compare what the board and Ashley Cole has done for the club i know to whom i am more greatful and whos judgement i will back.

Players writing them all the time doesn't make it right i don't think they should write them until they finish because what have they possibly go to right about now at 25.

Also good point Bethie i agree fully it would set a dangerous precedent.

Artillero

I just want to see the back of him once and for all. Hopefully it will be soon and for a good amount for Wenger to spend.

He crossed the line by meeting Chelsea and now he has come back and pissed on the line with 'his' book.

Arsenalguru

Let's update the Best LB's musical chair.

Arsenal - Cole, ???
Barcelona - gets Zambrotta
Chelsea - Cole, Carlos
Real - Carlos?, Cole, Abidal

The race for Cole begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In a football match anything can happen, the players, 90 minutes, fantastic moves, an element of luck, talent, courage, and touch of magic and, for those who are watching these men play, the search for excitement, for a memory, for a lesson in life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom