• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

AT: Ajax vs Arsenal | 08/08/08

famous no 10

Established Member
Re: Amsterdam: Ajax v Arsenal | 08-08-08 20:15

A game of two halves and all that...

First half, piss poor from us...Lazy, tired, lacked ideas, sloppy, and shocking defending from the cb's.

Second half, we completely owned Ajax, great cross from Eboue, good finishing from Ade/Nik, Cesc looking lively, Denilson playing well, and started to click in general, lots of spirit.

That defence worries me though..I know Kolo isn't match fit, but it's the same old story with those cb's, they just don't work together well and any high ball is a danger...we need Phil too suddenly become Tony Adams... and at the risk of repeating myself for the 100th time, Almunia is much too so-so for an Arsenal 'keeper.

nazo

Established Member

bluenaz said:
Second half better be better. I won't be able to watch it though :|

I say this just a few minutes before i leave work to come home (yes i watched the first half at work when i wasn't supposed to) and when i arrive i find out the score is 3-2.

So, anyone care to explain to me wtf happened?

otfgoon

Established Member

patrick42uk said:
I'm with Merson, sign a holding midfielder and a defender and we have a team capable of challenging on all fronts. Wenger places a lot of trust in Kolo, but his ability aerially is a big big concern. Even in the second half.

And his concentration. If you're poor in the air then you'd at least want to get in a good position so you dont have to be great but when you react so late you dont give yourself much of a chance.

kel varnsen

Established Member

patrick42uk said:
Showed a lot of heart and pride that half. This young team has that n them.

After Eboue's cross, he went on a run and played a ball inside the full back for Sagna obviously off the confidence of that cross. It got me thinking. Imagine if Eboue had the unwavering support of the fans Theo has, what type of player would he be? Or better still, if Theo was hounded the way Eboue is, what type of player would he be?

he connected with one cross. other than that, he was at best mediocre throughout the match. offered very little going forward on the right side.

what irks me the most, is the "passing pattern". almost every pass is directed towards our goal. further down the pitch. he simply lacks the awareness and skill to play in this team. i'm surprised wenger sticks with him on the right side, but i fully expect him to be dropped when either nasri or rosicky is back.

patrick42uk

Established Member

Robin's problem is that he hasnt scored yet. The man's like a dog on heat with frustration thats been building since his failed comeback at the end of last season. He just needs that release of a left footed rocket into the top corner from 25 yards.

Saying that, Theo sometimes has responded to the call for him to take on more responsibility with some sort of one man crusade. He's been running at defenders more, which is good, but at times at the neglect of players in better positions. He needs to find a balance, develop a level of composure and awareness even when running at pace. Otherwise he's as much use to us as Darren Huckerby.

qs

Established Member

patrick42uk said:
Showed a lot of heart and pride that half. This young team has that n them.

After Eboue's cross, he went on a run and played a ball inside the full back for Sagna obviously off the confidence of that cross. It got me thinking. Imagine if Eboue had the unwavering support of the fans Theo has, what type of player would he be? Or better still, if Theo was hounded the way Eboue is, what type of player would he be?

Has A-M not thought you anything? Eboue clearly put that cross in by accident.

Lancelot

Established Member

We went into the second half with twice as much intensity, bluenaz. The rest was just history, really, because we all know about the true quality of this team as a unit.

Eboue's cross + Adebayor's header was the combination that broke the floodgate.

qs

Established Member

patrick42uk said:
Otherwise he's as much use to us as Darren Huckerby.

You mean the legend Darren Huckerby?

patrick42uk

Established Member

Wenger said we were poor positionally in the first half. Justifiation i supose for going out and buying an experienced DM to organise things.

Cesc just looked amazing. Took him one half to find his range.

nidza7

Established Member

Certainly it was entertainig match for neutrals.

I was phisycally seek at half time.

qs

Established Member

We're always poor positionally.

Toure could do with playing 45 minutes tomorrow.

thegame24

Established Member

Terrible stuff, winning disguises the major problems.

Yes we dominate but we always concede goals, and usually 2+ vs big teams.

giuliob

famous no 10 said:
A game of two halves and all that...

First half, piss poor from us...Lazy, tired, lacked ideas, sloppy, and shocking defending from the cb's.

Second half, we completely owned Ajax, great cross from Eboue, good finishing from Ade/Nik, Cesc looking lively, Denilson playing well, and started to click in general, lots of spirit.

That defence worries me though..I know Kolo isn't match fit, but it's the same old story with those cb's, they just don't work together well and any high ball is a danger...we need Phil too suddenly become Tony Adams... and at the risk of repeating myself for the 100th time, Almunia is much too so-so for an Arsenal 'keeper.
Pretty much how I saw it...

patrick42uk

Established Member

I'd really, really love to see Jay Thomas play tomorrow. I think the boy might have something. He's captained a few of the youth sides and 'is well spoken off the pitch' (source Arsenal.com) which might be an indication of his maturity and ability to deal with the top level. Technically he looks super impressive to go with his impressive physique.

James

Established Member

patrick42uk said:
I'd really, really love to see Jay Thomas play tomorrow. I think the boy might have something. He's captained a few of the youth sides and 'is well spoken off the pitch' (source Arsenal.com) which might be an indication of his maturity and ability to deal with the top level. Technically he looks super impressive to go with his impressive physique.
Can he jump and head the ball on the back foot?

Rohit

Established Member

Is he the center mid that came on the other day against Huddersfield?

patrick42uk

Established Member

James said:
patrick42uk said:

Would love to find out.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member

What scares me is that Wenger doesnt seem to bothered about the 2 goals we conceded. We havent been able to keep a clean sheet all pre season and that is absolutely horrid. When we 2 down it served us right. Gallas was horrid in the first half compared to Kolo who only got his first start

That was our main problem last year and Wenger seems to ignore it. Hes playing with fire here and this crap he was talking about pints reard in his interview sums it all up for me

You score and we score more, thats how I feel he wants us to play. You wont win nothing with that mentality. It seems we may win the tournament as I predicted but the negatives are what we should focus on

Roll on next season

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member

James said:
patrick42uk said:

Can do both, hes robust, has an accurate Long pass from deep that can stretch teams and doesnt look awkward on the turn like just about all our defenders. Been watching Jay for a long time but kept my motuh closed but his first team debut was just like how he plays for the reserves. Very compused and never dissapointed me

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom