• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

AT: Ajax vs Arsenal | 08/08/08

Gurgen

Established Member
Re: Amsterdam: Ajax v Arsenal | 08-08-08 20:15

Embarrassing performance, notably from our captain and Ade.

Even Ajax can hurt us with the long ball down the middle. We have two options to solve this: sign a big CB or sign a big DM. Why the fk are we looking at Gokhan Inler?

Lord Dula

Established Member

Good morning Gurgs. How how are you today?

Indeed. It's highly frustrating to see us continually exposed physically at the back.

The right blend certainly isnt there.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard

Well, i was yesterday in the stadium, as a dutch men,

And it was some horrible defending stuff from Gallas and Toure otherwhile they are internationals and have plenty of expierence but time and time again they are getting exposed at the back with long balls, and it hasnt changed this year with that,

I really think if this isnt gonna solve, we are getting in some big trouble again in the EPL.

patrick42uk

Established Member

What irks me is that Wenger comes out and tells the whole world about the problem but doesnt acy=tually look to solve it.

KingReyes

Established Member

Thought we looked good in the first 20 minutes. Should have been 2-0 up but Ade was in his Jekyll and Hyde mood by missing two good chances only to make up for it in the second. We were much better in the second, the work rate of the players was outstanding and we were much more ruthless in the final third.

As others have mentioned, the main concern is the defense. It baffles me that after 3 or more seasons Wenger has no realized that the Kolo/Gallas partnership and Phil backing them up is simply not good enough. Kolo and Gallas look unplayable at times, especially with the ball on the ground but there is always a concern with the long ball as we've seen in the past. In addition the protection they get from the midfield is at times atrocious.

Its a pity because we are a quality defender and as Wenger mentioned midfielder short from being challengers on all the main fronts. I wouldn't mind a keeper too but thats a low priority at the moment.

Anzac

Established Member

patrick42uk said:
What irks me is that Wenger comes out and tells the whole world about the problem but doesnt acy=tually look to solve it.

AW needs to realise that sometimes it's better to say nothing & let his actions speak louder than his words.......

Lancelot

Established Member

The thing with him saying nothing is that you lot will jump on him for not communicating. Either way the boss gets abused. Where is justice in that?

KingReyes

Established Member

By the way, was that ref the biggest **** since the last ref ****ed us over? The knee in the back on Theo and the penalty on Cesc just to name a couple of decisions that didn't go our way.

James

Established Member

KingReyes said:
By the way, was that ref the biggest c**t since the last ref f*d us over? The knee in the back on Theo and the penalty on Cesc just to name a couple of decisions that didn't go our way.
Agreed, although he also could've easily sent Cesc off.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

Gurgen said:
Embarrassing performance, notably from our captain and Ade.

Even Ajax can hurt us with the long ball down the middle. We have two options to solve this: sign a big CB or sign a big DM. Why the fk are we looking at Gokhan Inler?
Why not? This big only myth is just that. I'm not an expert on Inler but he's apparently 6ft which is plenty big enough if you're good enough. Look at Mertesacker (and Metzelder to some extent) if you need proof that big isn't all that.

Anzac

Established Member

Lancelot said:
The thing with him saying nothing is that you lot will jump on him for not communicating. Either way the boss gets abused. Where is justice in that?

I'd rather he said nothing & got on with it, than to hear the same old BS every season & then see no action to back it up, or he later does a back flip on what he said earlier! Not only do I no longer believe what he says (this summer being the final straw), but I can no longer actually be bothered to even make the effort to listen to him or read his comments. He's failed to deliver his post season targets he set himself for this summer - keep the squad; sign 2-3 quality players & experience; address the defensive issues that he identified to the world.

Similarly I do not want to hear that he has money available for players but he choses NOT to spend because of his developing players. Likewise when he talks of player quality or experience he talks of the starting players, when it is our bench coverage that is the concern. When he talks of position coverage I do not want to hear that the decision not to buy is because we have 3 or 4 players who can play there, particularly when our immediate back up is the likes of Eboue, and the other options are developing players playing out of their normal / preferred / ultimate roles. :x

Lancelot

Established Member

Yeah I can understand your cause for frustration there, actually. It's just that no matter what he does, such action will always face massive scrutiny from fans who come from all walks of life.

I just felt that it was important for us to grasp the concept of how difficult it is to please everyone when you are in his position; and so that next time when you want to go on with another big rant, you might want to tone it down a bit on the emotional outburst and focus more on the constructive side of the criticism.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵

You gotta love this quote from Wenger after the match: "I'm not too much concerned about the defence because I think we played against a good attack. As long as we score more." You couldn't make this stuff up.

giuliob

Wenger believes his own hype....I stopped listening to him after last summer...Although there's nothing wrong with putting a positive spin on things, it's like he refuses to acknowledge the reality as the transfer deadline approaches......And then, when you look at other top quality teams and what they have done in the off season, i.e., Chelsea, my stomach starts churning......

At the end of last summer, I had this unconditional trust in the team, not that they would win anything, but they would acquit themselves in a decent manner.......Now I'm trying to recapture that feeling of unconditional trust but at the same time I'm attaching something to it, a trophy of some shape, size....I guess my emotional health is better off if I leave expectations and attachments out of the picture, and just go with the flow.....Aargh!

qs

Established Member

People get way too worked up about preseason games

Anzac

Established Member

Lancelot said:
Yeah I can understand your cause for frustration there, actually. It's just that no matter what he does, such action will always face massive scrutiny from fans who come from all walks of life.

I just felt that it was important for us to grasp the concept of how difficult it is to please everyone when you are in his position; and so that next time when you want to go on with another big rant, you might want to tone it down a bit on the emotional outburst and focus more on the constructive side of the criticism.

lol - I was trying to keep the tone down in the original post, as I thought I'd made the reasoning behind my criticisms clear in other threads........oh well :wink:

Anzac

Established Member

mags said:
Wenger believes his own hype....I stopped listening to him after last summer...Although there's nothing wrong with putting a positive spin on things, it's like he refuses to acknowledge the reality as the transfer deadline approaches......And then, when you look at other top quality teams and what they have done in the off season, i.e., Chelsea, my stomach starts churning......

At the end of last summer, I had this unconditional trust in the team, not that they would win anything, but they would acquit themselves in a decent manner.......Now I'm trying to recapture that feeling of unconditional trust but at the same time I'm attaching something to it, a trophy of some shape, size....I guess my emotional health is better off if I leave expectations and attachments out of the picture, and just go with the flow.....Aargh!

I'm still confident that we'll still be in the Top 4 at the end of next season - but that will be as good as it gets. As it've said in the title thread IMO we'll be capable of a repeat of last season - we'll lead the PL due a favourable early season draw & lack of injuries, so our 1st team will have it's best opportunity to perform (in theory). It's the run Home that's the concern again, and I'm equally confident that as things stand with the squad and tactics, that we'll lose momentum. We'll hang on for 3rd / 4th ahead of the pack, but I don't expect us to be in contention for anything beyond that in the PL, and the knock out stages of the Cup comps.

I'm more concerned about the following season when the 2nd tier teams are more settled & that Sp**s squad has gelled & their new players have adjusted to the PL.

Arsenal Quotes

I always wanted to play in English football and Arsenal and Highbury IS English football to me.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom