• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Borussia Dortmund vs Arsenal Player Ratings

ArsenalDNA

AnthonyG said:
fabo said:
Koscielny had a good second half, sloppy first when he continually went upfield and lost possession.
Besides giving him the lowest mark here, you're losing any semblance of impartiality when it comes to him. You'll have to admit you were dead-wrong at some stage, so you might as well start now-ish.

Don't tell me you're from New Zealand too.

Proof

Established Member
Szczesny 8/10

Sagna 7/10
Mertesacker 6/10
Koscielny 7/10
Gibbs 6/10

Song 8/10 MOTM
Arteta 5/10
Benayoun 5/10

Gervinho 5/10
Walcott 5/10
Van Persie 7/10

sammy89

Beeney said:
outlaw_member said:
That certainly contributed, Beeney, but there were numerous times that Gibbs brainlessly stepped up to press a potential option, only for someone else to direct a run right behind the space he had vacated.

I agree with that but that's something he'll learn when to press, when to sit off ...
... IN THE RESERVES/ YOUTH TEAM! Let's end this creche system once and for all!

GunneDown

Szczesny 8/10

Sagna 7/10
Mertesacker 5/10 - He cant pass!
Koscielny 7/10
Gibbs 6/10

Song 8/10 MOTM
Arteta 5/10
Benayoun 6/10 - Worked hard, some good footwork too.

Gervinho 3/10 - Utter crap - Just runs the ball into people
Walcott 4/10
Van Persie 7/10

Chamack 0/10 - This guys is a lazy ****. Hope he never plays for the club again.

Segway

Dave_Ja_Vu said:
Gotze 8.5. Very impressive.

In the 1st half he was immense and everything Dortmund did went through him. However, in the 2nd half I think we managed to nullify his threat pretty well.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Szczesny - 7
Sagna - 7
Mertesacker - 6.5
Koscielny - 8
Gibbs - 6

Arteta - 6.5
Song - 7.5
Benayoun - 6

Walcott - 5.5
Van Persie - 7
Gervinho - 6

DanielVale

Szczesny 8/10

Sagna 7/10
Mertesacker 6/10
Koscielny 9/10
Gibbs 4/10

Song 7/10
Arteta 6/10
Benayoun 7/10

Gervinho 6/10
Walcott 6/10
Van Persie 8/10

Yaya

Established Member
Szczesny-7
Sagna-6
Mertesacker-5
Kos-6.5
Gibbs-4
Song-6.5
Arteta-5
Benayoun-5
Gervinho-3
RvP-6.5
Walcott-4

ArsenalDNA

While i'm here:

Szczesny - 7.5

Sagna - 6
Mertesacker - 5
Koscielny - 6.5
Gibbs - 5

Arteta - 6
Song - 8
Benayoun - 5.5

Theo - 4.5 (+ 1 for the assist)
Van Persie - 7
Gervinho - 4

Been a while since we've had so few chances in a game. And when we did it was through their fault and not our build up. Things need to change pretty soon cause we are looking pretty stagnant on attack. We are trying to play how we did when Cesc was here and it's not working without anyone even half as creative as he was.

Tangy99

Right, lets clear this up!

Chesney - 8 .... Commanding at set pieces, made some brilliant saves too. I have no worries about our GK position at all anymore. Pure class.

Sagna - 7.5 .... His defending was almost faultless, his attacking not so good. But last night, he did all that was required.

Mertesacker - 5 .... Didn't rate him at all. Looks clumsy, gets drawn out wide constantly, often for no particular reason. Poor at passing too.

Koscielny - 8 MOTM .... One case of messing up the offside trap, which didn't matter because Dortmund's movement was simply too good for our trap to work anyway. Other than that, the guy was a beast. Kos + Verms really is a fantastic partnership waiting to happen, they just need to both stay fit.

Gibbs - 6 .... Had some good spells but struggled with his passing under pressure at times. His crossing was still impressive when he had the chance.

Arteta - 7 .... Some beautiful footwork on display, reminds me of Wilshere in how well he can keep posession. He didn't get involved enough overall, but I still liked what I saw.

Song - 8 .... A fairly quiet first half I felt, but in the second half he made SO many clean tackles it was crazy! This is what he needs to do, sit back, be composed and break up play.

Benayoun - 6 .... He put in effort but had a consistent poor touch, often giving away posession. Will be a very good bench option once he settles.

Theo - 6 .... Theo struggled to get involved, running straight into the opposition on one of his "runs" on more than one occasion. However, his assist for the goal was Cesc-like, so he gets a 6 rather than a 5.

RVP - 6.5 .... Struggled to get involved much. His goal was a fantastic finish, on his weaker foot too. Its difficult to criticise him for not getting involved when he gets such little service and is so out numbered too.

Gervinho - 6.5 .... He was involved a lot, compared to RVP and Theo. Unfortunately, he was up against 4-5 Dortmund players everytime he tried to run with the ball. But he didn't give up, worked very hard and against a teams that do not press so well, he'll be great for us.

Special mention to Frimpong who did well at breaking up play, much like Song.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I think our defense was solid the whole game, Merte included, and that the main difference between the first half and second half performance was how the midfield performed in closing down the threat of Kagawa, Gotze and co. When Song doesn't act like he's the new Lombardo and stick to what he's good at then the midfield as a whole functions much better.

fabo

6.51 / 10
I thought that we dropped noticeably deeper second half, more bodies back, easier to defend in theory anyway. Seemed like we basically set our stall out to defend the lead from the 65/70th minute roughly. Don't know if that was Rice's instructions but I thought it was a good game-plan that would have yielded the desired result bar a once in a lifetime strike.

Actually thought we had Dortmund sussed in the last 15-20 minutes, couldn't see them scoring tbh.

It's a strange tactic for us but maybe it's the management acknowledging that we don't have the necessary quality to implement our usual game-plan for 90 minutes, and thus need to be more pragmatic. We were our typical selves defensively first half however, so it will be interesting to see how we go about certain matches tactically in the future.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
I think the fact we took off most of our attacking threat, and focused more on defending our lead, led to our detriment in the end, and was probably the reason we didn't pick up 3 points.

And seeing that Rice was in charge of substitutions and tactics, the blame has to lie with him.

Kain

Established Member
Fabianski, Santos, Djourou, Frimpong, Park, Arshavin, Chamakh

Were our subs options, I think he made the right call, if anything Walcott should have been off the pitch sooner he was offering nothing to our attack or defence. Frimpnong to bolster the defensive side of midfield, he was quite effective when he came on as sub, then Chamakh with the hopes he can hold up the ball & win goal kicks, with Santos to bring a more defensive discipline to the left flank.

If anything Rice should have staggered the substitutions to waste more time, instead of making a double sub in the 85th, Sagna had picked up a booking for the throw-in to waste a few seconds and Szczesny was doing a good job in that regard too, it was clear we was trying to defend the lead during the entirety of the second half.

Goonereagle

Szczes, Kos and Song were tremendous. Szczes gained us points; Song was breaking up there play when it started to look dangerous and Kos everywhere, defending darn near everything.

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom