• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Celtic vs Arsenal Match Ratings

Lord Dula

Established Member
fabo said:
progman07 said:
fabo said:
Bendtner...7...another good shift. Never gave ball away and worked hard.
Arsh...5...below par first two games.
The bias against Arshavin has already started...

He was at least as good as Bendtner, who wasn't involved at all, not 2 ratings below him.

Arshavin defended very well, and took more part in our passing game than Bendtner. He wasn't good, but to rate him down while Bendtner gets away with such a high rating, it's bias.

Don't put your expactations higher because he is a better player, all players are first teamers and that's what matters.

Arshavin was no better than a 5. He's looked really jaded IMO this first week. The timing and weight of his passing looks off and that can be related to having tired legs. Not quite sure, maybe the international game took it out of him or he's struggling to adjust to this new high-tempo pressing game. Also not taking on enough players when he has the chance.

And no, Bendtner was better than both Arsh and RVP. It's not bias, just rating the game as I saw it.

Think Wenger recognised his jadedness and hence why he took him off.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Sottobosco said:
Those who say Almunia's disruption is not good, what do you mean by it? For just this game or generally? Ive never notice it before and again yesterday, I've never saw an obvious problem.

Specifically, so I know next time what to watch out for, is it the distance of his goalkick that you think can be improved [say 60 metres average kick length rather then 50m]? Or is it that you think the ball isn't released quick or accurately enough?

Almunia often plays the ball out quickly either by rolling it to the full back or by directing his kick at a clear target. Last night I felt he took too long to release the ball and also his accuracy of kicking was poor. Also when the ball was played back to him he rarely found a player with his kick. Almunias distribution is usually very good but not last night.

Biggus

Established Member
What do you think of the new look hairy Diaby TH? I think its good- makes him look meaner less baby like.

General

Established Member
truth_hurts said:
Sottobosco said:
Those who say Almunia's disruption is not good, what do you mean by it? For just this game or generally? Ive never notice it before and again yesterday, I've never saw an obvious problem.

Specifically, so I know next time what to watch out for, is it the distance of his goalkick that you think can be improved [say 60 metres average kick length rather then 50m]? Or is it that you think the ball isn't released quick or accurately enough?

Almunia often plays the ball out quickly either by rolling it to the full back or by directing his kick at a clear target. Last night I felt he took too long to release the ball and also his accuracy of kicking was poor. Also when the ball was played back to him he rarely found a player with his kick. Almunias distribution is usually very good but not last night.

Almunia's distribution has always been suspect. It ranges from decent to average. Not a cause for alarm yet but against decent opposition, it has proved costly. If I remember correctly, it was he who gifted the ball to Chelsea last season for Djourou's own goal. Against Everton, twice he kicked it out for throw inside our own half and under no pressure. He needs his thinking cap. You need to watch Pepe Reina if you're looking for some sort of yardstick. He's accurate, switched on and very decisive. Everything Almunia isn't.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I absolutely detest his distribution, and sometimes I do wonder whether he is * or not. The amount of times he gifts possession to the opposition via a pointless hoof is pathetic, especially when the ethos of our club is to keep the ball. It's just unnecessarily putting pressure on the team through recklessness.

Biggus said:
What do you think of the new look hairy Diaby TH? I think its good- makes him look meaner less baby like.

Hopefully, it's a sign of him concentrating on his football, and putting aside his self image for the meanwhile.

ricky1985

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
I absolutely detest his distribution, and sometimes I do wonder whether he is * or not. The amount of times he gifts possession to the opposition via a pointless hoof is pathetic, especially when the ethos of our club is to keep the ball. It's just unnecessarily putting pressure on the team through recklessness.

It is incredibly infuriating because it is like he is on auto-pilot and his brain has become redundant. I wonder if he'll keep doing even without Bendtner in the team?

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I don't think there's much wrong with his distribution to be honest. For example, two of the goals we've scored so far have been a result of his goalkicks. Whenever he gets stressed it gets worse though, but it's the same for most keepers. Most of the time Almunia doesn't hoof the ball though, he usually plays it directly to Clichy who continues to build up an attack through our left side (which was how we conceded that unfortunate goal against Chelsea). He's obviously been instructed to do that instead of just giving the ball away to the opposition. If I remember correctly Lehmann used to do the same thing.

otfgoon

Established Member
Yeah, its fine usually but as soon as we're under a bit of pressure Almunia can become very * with his distribution. Whenever we're under pressure from the opposition he for some reason thinks he has to hoof it up to nobody only for the ball to come right back, and it repeats over and over again. In that situation what the needs to to keep the ball for a while and play from the back.

outlaw_member

Established Member
otfgoon said:
Yeah, its fine usually but as soon as we're under a bit of pressure Almunia can become very * with his distribution. Whenever we're under pressure from the opposition he for some reason thinks he has to hoof it up to nobody only for the ball to come right back, and it repeats over and over again. In that situation what the needs to to keep the ball for a while and play from the back.

I would definitely agree with that, and it seems to be a trait right through the team. Whenever we are put under intense pressure, the players start playing a riskier game by going longer, or attempting more killer passes. As a result, we end up giving the ball away quite cheaply, thus putting us on the backfoot. Ironically, a few years back we used to do the complete opposite by keeping the ball between the team whilst under pressure, but that also used to backfire to an extent as the players were more intent on keeping the ball, rather than taking the openings as they presented themselves. I suppose we need to reach the ideal medium between the two, but that comes with experience, so hopefully the current team has enough of it.

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom