• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Arsenal vs PSV Eindhoven | 14/09/04

juz7_pi12es

Kyla said:
Why are we so cagey. I know it's our first CL game and all, but come on, this is PSV and we are potential CL winners. We looked so nervous towards the end- when PSV finally decided to have a go that is. We ain't even gonna get close to that trophy!
ouh come on! you want us to score 5 goals for each games? i know it's just PSV but it's PSV, top 3 in holland.

3 points, better than 1, better than 0

patrick42uk

Established Member
juz7_pi12es said:
Kyla said:
Why are we so cagey. I know it's our first CL game and all, but come on, this is PSV and we are potential CL winners. We looked so nervous towards the end- when PSV finally decided to have a go that is. We ain't even gonna get close to that trophy!
ouh come on! you want us to score 5 goals for each games? i know it's just PSV but it's PSV, top 3 in holland.

its not the amount of goals thats frustrating, its the performance.

KingReyes

Established Member
n_henry said:
Was Pires's disallowed goal deservedly disallowed? Or are we getting just desserts for John's incident on the weekend?

It was a goal IMO, Henry took the long range shot, the PSV defender moved up but Pires was still onside, when the ball came to him he was all by himself and scored but the linesman ruled that he was offside.

afrodizzy

PSV stiffled our play they had the whole team in thier own half that coupled by the fact that Highbury is a very small pitch not that wide to open the play up and suit our style. When the ball got to the PSV box it was too compact to unleash full Arsenal's creativity.

kanuuu

Established Member
n_henry said:
Was Pires's disallowed goal deservedly disallowed? Or are we getting just desserts for John's incident on the weekend?

Pires loked like he was level but it was very close so you can understand the linesman getting it wrong.

By the way i thought Paddy was one of the best performers tonight, am i the only one?

juz7_pi12es

henry's girl said:
JazzG said:
Why was Reyes taken off when Pires was totally s**t AS USUAL in the CL? Does he ever have a good game in the CL?
WOW! Thank goodness we won the game :shock:

hands off of my pires!!! :evil: just don't be greedy please

ps/if only my pires's goal has not disallowed..grrr

juz7_pi12es

patrick42uk said:
juz7_pi12es said:
Kyla said:

its not the amount of goals thats frustrating, its the performance.

perform good doesnt mean we will win
perform bad doesnt mean we will lose
we've got the max points
wenger will fix this

ps/inter milan won 3-0 last season's opener but the didnt qualify to the next stage

lewdikris

Established Member
JazzG said:
What a load of bullshit, that was a f****g disgrace in the 2nd half.

Why was Reyes taken off when Pires was totally s**t AS USUAL in the CL? Does he ever have a good game in the CL? Vieira needs to sort himself the f**k out before he pulls on our jersy again, was all over the place and we would of controlled the game MUCH better with either Edu or Cesc, funny how 2 of our worse performances have come with Vieira as our CM? Looks VERY short of match practise to me, very short.

Props to the likes of Reyes and Henry though, both imo had good games even though they had someone on their shoulder the whole match. Dennis also ran his heart out and Gilberto did well as well. The rest of our team were misplacing passes left right and centre and couldn't control a ball to save their lifes in that 2nd half

I am absouletely fuming right now, we were at home and out played by an average side in Europe in the 2nd half, NO EXCUSE for that for ****s sake. I take my comments back about us doing well in the CL, was feeling good before this match but I am feeling really down now. How can we go from dominating to being on the ropes? If this was R.Madrid or Milan I would understand but not PSV FFS.

Only positive I can take out of this game is in the past we probably wouldn't of taken all 3 points but I am really upset about this performance, will we ever shake off this CL thing that makes a brilliant team perform average every season :(

I REALLY REALLY HOPE this is a one off but I have seen this happen all too many times with us. We did well in the 1st half but the 2nd half was nothing short of a disgrace.

I will probably get over this in a few hours but was really disappointed, still happy we got the 3 points.

Jazz, frankly i'd expect better from you mate.

Any English based viewers watching that on ITV should learn to see the difference between what the commentators say and what actually happened.

We won 1-0. When you win 1-0, you are going to come under pressure - but if you still ****ing win, it doesn't ****ing matter.

Any nervousness came from not being used to playing for it - we don't do it in the league. The communication between Cole and Cygan was poor.

But. Again. It doesn't ****ing matter.

PSV is the hardest team in the group. We beat them.

Move on.

The whingers can play around til we thrash Crystal Palace 67-0, but anyone with a brain cell connected should just look at 3 points up, 7 more to go to qualify from the group and move on.

Job done.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
JazzG said:
I dunno if you saw the match but a better side would of put AT LEAST 3 or 4 past us in the 2nd half. I was pleased in the first half but our side lost the plot in the 2nd half and in the end we were lucky to come through with a 1-0 win, away game I could understand but not at home.
They weren't playing against a better side. They were playing PSV. The above point is moot because they could very easily have raised their game had they been required.

I am usually very chilled out and usually calming other people down after poor matches but this was really bad. I am happy we won the match and got the 3 points but performances like that just can't be brushed aside. Our players looked s**t scared and nervous as hell in the 2nd half, I can't for the life of me understand why, not the first time either and it is starting to worry me.
You're happy? I thought you were fuming? They were a little edgey at times, saying they were **** scared and nervous as hell is a massive exaggeration.

I don't know if you were around then but I was one of the few people here after 3 games saying we would still get through, and spent ages convincing people that we weren't as
Then why are you ranting when we've made a good start? The performance counts for very little, it's the points that matter. Look who won the CL last season.

I probably am going over the top but we were totally rubbish, the last minute I was about to have a heart attack!
I was worried also but even conceding would not have been the end of the world.

I am very happy we won but an Arsenal side should not be outplayed on their own turf for an whole half and be hanging on for dear life against an average (at best) European side. I bet if it had been the league we would of won 3-0 but the CL seems to do something to our players.
They were hardly outplayed for the whole half. PSV only started getting any decent possession after about an hour and even then Arsenal had much the better of the chances.

I'm sure had that been a league game it would have been closer to 3-0 but it's not the league. They have only initially 6 games instead of 38 to make their mark and caution is required. They kept the cleansheet which I think is encouraging, how many times have they done that in the league so far?

JazzG

Established Member
A better team would of gone straight through us a number of times. Wenger made a good point about our defense and how we need to tighten up because today we just wasn't right in that 2nd half. It bought back memories of the Chelsea game when we lost the plot, at least then I thought our players were totally shattered and tbh they gave it their all but were running on empty but today I struggle to find any excuses for todays 2nd half performance.

We just didn't control the game in the 2nd half, we let them take the game to us and we just didn't look right at all.

Why do we play like this in Europe but the very next week take a team apart in the PL? I just don't understand. Still even though I probably already have we shouldn't get too carried away with this crappy performance, can't get much worse can it lol.

Anyways ignore me for now, I'm probably just moaning because I have had a long ****ty day so was hoping Arsenal would cheer me up......

Henry's Girl

The whingers can play around til we thrash Crystal Palace 67-0, but anyone with a brain cell connected should just look at 3 points up, 7 more to go to qualify from the group and move on.
I hope I'm at highbury when that happens ;D

Kyla

I don't give a damn how many we score. I don't care for what type of goal it was either- scrappy, but our captiulation in the 2nd half was unbelievable- I don't believe in hanging on to wins by the skin of our teeth against third-rate opposition.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Pires' goal was supposedly a bad call... commentators watching the replays said it should have stood...

anyway, the performance to me was more admirable than people seem to be giving credit for... the PSV team that was ALL about defence today and had so many people behind the ball at all times make it very difficult for teams like us... but we won the match.... that, to me, shows the difference between this year and last... Auxerre and PSV played very defensively against us last year, and we drew both those matches 0-0... this match is 3 pts, not 1....

KingReyes

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
our best chance is probably ashburton. we are quite poor at home in the cl, by our usual standards.

Mate, i was about to say that. When European teams come to highbury and play men behind the ball we seem to lack ideas. The movement of the forwards that we usually see is lost and it effects us deeply. Due to our small pitch we can't make the flowing moves we usually do and therefore teams are harder to break down.

Of course this is just one game, but I'm also talking about past games, the loss to inter. beating Kiev only at the very end. Valencia, Ajax, Roma etc. These teams came and defended with men behind the ball and we found it hard to break them down.

Henry's Girl

I think ppl need to chill cos Wenger wnt be complaining much. we got the points need.
btw, r'ber we cld have played well and lost but it didnt happen, so take the points and go to bed :)

Arsenal Quotes

To all the Arsenal lovers:
Take care of the values of the club. My love and support forever.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom