• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL| Borussia Dortmund v Arsenal, 6/11, 7.45pm, SS1

GG8

redwhiteAustrian said:
The game showed how reliant Dortmund are on quick counter attacks and breaks, when it comes to creating chances and scoring goals. As soon as you give them more room and possession, they find it difficult to break a faultless defense down.

Yep, tighten up shop and get men behind the ball, try and score the first goal and then you can sit back and let them scratch their heads wondering how to score when they arnt breaking at backtracking defenders at speed.

Think if we had Theo last night we could have scored a few more after taking the lead.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I acknowledge that Borussia Dortmund are a very good side, but I really didn't expect anything less than a win and a draw over the two games. The fact that we lost to them was rather disappointing. I think we are at the same level as teams like Dortmund and even Napoli, but of superior quality, and we need to show why we are now pushing up to the Barcelona's and Bayern Munich's.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Very happy with the win, Dortmund have some quality players and we have showed that we can put in a good peformance again away from home.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Camel said:
Hummels when we scored. :lol:

a58dd3b400c4839e8000e4185169102c.gif

That was actually when Reus misssed his (offside) sitter just after we scored-nice GF.

redanddread

Very few teams, even the best, find it easy to breakdown a well drilled & committed defense. Dortmund are not only good on the break but excellent in transition, better than most out there. They're excellent at creating space with quick, accurate passing and top notch movement by the supporting players. Their willingness to support each other in the attacking 1/3rd is frightening at times and they usually seem to have an extra man in tow some where.

Make no mistake, this was a big, big win against one of Europe's elite teams. For me Dortmund are in the top 5 best teams in Europe. This was a statement win and should give the whole orginisation the confidence to take on yet more huge tests to come

redanddread

outlaw_member said:
I acknowledge that Borussia Dortmund are a very good side, but I really didn't expect anything less than a win and a draw over the two games. The fact that we lost to them was rather disappointing. I think we are at the same level as teams like Dortmund and even Napoli, but of superior quality, and we need to show why we are now pushing up to the Barcelona's and Bayern Munich's.

Dortmund are an excellent side and actually I think they're a slightly better team than us but they are also a team that has been developed over a longer period. This Arsenal team has the qualities to become a better team and they have shown some of those qualities last night but Dortmund are our equal at the very least IMO.

I believe we are a better team than Napoli though. Napoli's game in Dortmund will tell us all we need to know about them-I think Dortmund will beat them comfortably, although Rafa loves these types of games where he can shut it down and try and nick a point or all 3.

Dave_Ja_Vu

Sorry if this has been discussed on previous pages... But can anyone tell me what the protocol would be if Napoli, Dortmund & ourselves all finish on 12 points? Will it be decided on goal difference or results against each other?

I noticed that yesterday, before a ball had been kicked, we were actually above Dortmund in our group table, which I couldn't understand as at the time Dortmund had a better goal difference and had obviously beaten us 2-1, therefore giving them a better H2H...

amirkat

Established Member
I still can't believe we won this match. Nobody leaves the Westfalenstadion without Dortmund at least scoring. It just doesn't happen, and apparently it hasn't happened since 2011!

Arsenal are also the first English team to win at their ground.

Amazing, amazing result.

ArseneKnows-47

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ4Lck6hebA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ4Lck6hebA</a>

Haha, this is ****ing quality! I didn't understand a word but I love the passion.

The Escaped Ape

Well, finally got to watch this tonight, having been in the wrong time zone to watch it live. Really enjoyed the way we stifled Dortmund in the first half. Yes, we didn't create any chances, but it's not like we were entirely in our own half the whole time. Calm, careful play that didn't lose composure over the lack of opportunities.

Really solid defensive play ensured we weathered the mini-storm at the beginning of the second half, and overall all our players put in a shift (I seem to remember an Özil clearance towards the end of the second half). Really satisfying to hear our CB pairing finally getting their due credit now as well. Bring on MU.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
Yeah it takes a while to shake off a reputation. I bet some of those pundits are gnashing their teeth, but you can't still keep harping on about them being brittle and not look stupid in the process. Jamie Redknapp learned it the hard way, the thick ****.

I have been of the opinion for a while that a lot of our solidity is down to those two and I stand by that, but the change in tactics, more urgent pressing, tackling and fouling giving better protection and decent performances from our fbs are significant contributing factors too obviously.

VAVAVOOM 14

Am I correct in assuming as long as we beat Marseille at home we are guaranteed at least 2nd place in our group?

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
VAVAVOOM 14 said:
Am I correct in assuming as long as we beat Marseille at home we are guaranteed at least 2nd place in our group?

Not if Dortmund beat Napoli as they'll both be on 9 points. A win for Napoli against us and a victory for Dortmund on the last day leaves us all on 12. In that case, it all hinges on head to heads.

VAVAVOOM 14

rich 1990 said:
VAVAVOOM 14 said:

Not if Dortmund beat Napoli as they'll both be on 9 points. A win for Napoli against us and a victory for Dortmund on the last day leaves us all on 12. In that case, it all hinges on head to heads.

Oh wow.

Luckily we have the best goal difference, we need to rack up the score against Marseille just to be sure.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
I don't think the goal difference makes much of a difference, in this case. If we do all end up on 12, Dortmund would finish above us on account of scoring twice at the Emirates. If we were to lose in Naples, it'd have to be 1-0, or by a single goal, to stay above Napoli. I think that's how it works, anyway.

cannonade

Established Member
The best result would be for us to beat Marseille (we will) and for BVB and Napoli to draw (they won't. Dortmund will win that). So with a BVB win we will have to win in Napels to win the group (we can and we will).

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Win at home vs Marseille, don't lose vs Napoli and we're first regardless of what the opposition does, otherwise it comes down to what rich 1990 said.

eye4goal

Established Member
outlaw_member said:

Yeah I thought Dortmund didn't look that special going forward in the two games. They missed Gundogan and their first choice RB. Mikhitiryan is very much inferior to Gotze too. It seems as if every team in Europe has regressed this season. Maybe an unfancied team like us or PSG could go all the way

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom