• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL| Borussia Dortmund v Arsenal (A), 7.45pm 13/9, SS4

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Astonishing negativity here. It's almost as if people expected us to transform into a world class team overnight. I absolutely agree we should have been in much better shape than we currently are, but let's try to be reasonable for a moment. We suffered a terrible start to the season, we have been forced to fit in a huge amount of new players (even more if you count Gibbs and Frimpong), morale must have been at an all-time low, we're trying to get used to a new formation and style of play, we were without our manager, playing an absolutely fantastic Dortmund team in one of the, if not the most intimidating arena in European football.

People who think we'd go there and play our usual game are delusional. We didn't produce all that much but there are plenty of legit reasons for that. Gervinho was rusty, Arteta and Benayoun have to get used to their new surroundings and, I'll repeat once more, we played a terrific opponent who were fired up for their return on the big stage against a big team.

Considering the circumstances, I'm still reasonably satisfied with how last night went. I too am somewhat disappointed with the summer but we'll just have to get behind the team and make the best of it now.

mo50

Established Member
When you compare this performance and result to our other CL away group games, you'll see it wasn't much different, and Dortmund are better than anything we've faced recently. It was a good result and they won't play anywhere near as good at the Emirates.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Very true, Kroket.
Before this game, we'd lost 6 of our last 7 CL away games.

You don't travel to Europe's most intimidating crowd and play Dortmund off the park with ease.
With an eye on the circumstances (injuries, shuffled team short on confidence), I'm still happy with the point we've got.

Within our strengths we did the best we could do during the match, defended well (by our standards), and did create some chances.
We didn't control the game, but we never did so in any other game this season, so I won't read much into it.

And we'll get out of this group and reach the last 16, I'm deadcertain.
OM and Piräus shouldn't be underestimated, but neither of both are unbeatable.

Segway

Kroket, that's a good post. My thoughts too. What people seem to forget too was the two occasions where Gervinho found himself alone with their keeper. Had he scored on one of those, the game would have been over and we'd be celebrating. The point I'm trying to make is that we had more clear cut chances than Dortmund and our team deserves credit for that. I think the equalizer was hard on them considering the effort they put in.

DanielVale

I think people are giving Dortmund far too much credit than they actually merit. They were good, but not great. There finishing was all but poor and it took a wonder strike to nick the point, our defending at times (and I'm looking at you Kos) was solid. the only way Dortmund could get around us was by the left flank (Gibbs is just not good enough for a CL / top 4 clash).

The problem we had was no creativity from the midfield, and Song yet again trying to walk the ball past 4 yellow and black shirts, but in fairness to Dortmund, they closed us down well.

We should have sacrificed either Arteta or Van Persie earlier and brought on Sanchez alot sooner as Gibbs needed help with the threats down the left. He was getting shafted and caught out of position so many god damn times.

Also, how many times did Gervihno slip over? For crying out loud he must have been playing on roller skates, we really should have been 2-0 up at the break. I guess it's just a matter of time before we click as a unit, but I'm dead chuffed with a point. Well earned point in my opinion.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
General said:
Conceding late so called fluky goals is nothing new. Recent history is littered with them. To see the route causes - you may just want to look beyond that small window where the guy slams the ball in.

Spot on-the foul that was given away that resulted in the free kick which lead to the goal was completely unavoidable. We had possession of the ball and instead of clearing it away downfield (ungainly but pragmatic) we continued to look to pass to someone in a congested midfield until we lost the ball and committed the foul. I alluded to the fact in an earlier post that our teams over the last few years do not know how to win/close out tight games and it showed up again last night. Their combined decision making in pressurized situations continue to be diabolical.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
DanielVale said:
We should have sacrificed either Arteta or Van Persie earlier and brought on Sanchez alot sooner as Gibbs needed help with the threats down the left. He was getting shafted and caught out of position so many god damn times.
:)

DanielVale

kofigunner said:
DanielVale said:
:)

Santos, Sanchez whatever his name is :D

raidersoftheark

Established Member
Disappointing way to concede the equalizer, but I would have definitely taken a point before the match. Those who have underplayed Dortmund's quality haven't a clue. The occasion got to them a little bit, I think. If this were a league game, they would have taken 1 maybe 2 of their chances before Robin scored. They also very clearly missed Lucas Barrios who has quality and mobility to float across the front line, dragging defenders all over the place. A little like Adebayor in 07/08. Lewandowski isn't a bad player, but he's far, far less mobile and that showed. They also very seriously miss Sahin which would have increased their midfield domination tenfold, but that's another story.

Thought Kagawa and Hummels were brilliant. Hummels is pretty much like having a Fabregas in your back line. The amount of chances he creates by breaking through the lines and pinging a perfect through ball or lob past the opposing team's midfield and defense is fantastic. He's also a boss of a defender. Gerv and Theo could find no rhythm because he was always there to intercept or block their path. Goetze was a little quiet at times, but you can see why we wanted him. Terrific dribbler and playmaker. He'll be a superstar at Barca or Madrid (or god forbid City) in another 2 or 3 years.

As for our players only Szcz had a top game. Kos and Song came alive in the second half and Robin did well to take one of our few chances, but the rest of the team was poor. Off the past 3 games, I don't rate Mertesacker at all. Gibbs was also incredibly bad.

General

Established Member
Kroket said:
Astonishing negativity here. It's almost as if people expected us to transform into a world class team overnight.

If you want to look at this performance independent of the other recent uninspiring performances, then you are right. Even in the wider context of CL away games, this would normally be a positive result. Sadly, yesterday looked to be a continuation of the trend of lacklustre performances and I fear we could be on the other end of another tonking if things don’t improve very quickly. . We are stuck in a rut and it's showing no sign of abating. As usual, some are pinning their hopes on injured players to magically save us on return but the true test of a team is its ability to deliver performance/results without so called key players. The team lacks basic cohesion and it’s the inevitable result of bringing in players late in the window and expecting them to hit the ground running.

eye4goal

Established Member
Our away record in the last 3 years in the CL (excluding last night) is played 14 won 3, Drew 3 and Lost 8. The wins came against Fenerbahce, Partizan and Liege. Last night was not very different to our CL performances in recent years. We've not had a great midfield since 2007-08 and it shows more in Europe against ball-playing European teams

Warship

Are Dortmund going to be one of those teams who are exponentially worse away from home such as Shakthar Donestk last season? Or do you think they'll be just as much of a handful on the return fixture?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
General said:
The Jury said:
If getting what we didn't deserve on the night makes people happy, then fine, but that performance was utter sheight. I said I'd be happy with a point, but to get it with a performance like that is rubbish. I can see Jack improving us, but he wont turn us into CL contenders by a long way.

We're the walking dead in this competition.

You can talk. I thought you were excited again. Make your mind up FFS :bash

Unlike you, General numb-nuts, I'm always open to persuasion by what I see on the pitch, and in this specific case the Dortmund game.... unlike your ilk that choose how they want to feel and stick with it regardless of what happens. This isn't about football for you - it's about you.

Plank. :D

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

hehe anyways ..... Was very impressed by Dortmunds fitness and pressing . Watching Barca v Milan now and sheesh they press even more rapidly then Barca do .

Surely if we can't improve technically we should be able to improve our pressing .

patrick42uk

Established Member
Thier pressing is impressive. Always thought Barca had the edge on that due to the size of their players, but Dortmund show maybe thats not so much an impportant factor. So why cant we do it? Maybe we dont work as much on fitness as we should

patrick42uk

Established Member
How many naturally fit players do we have? Full backs, obviously. Benayoun? Who else? The likes of Gervinho, Walcott, Robin, Song, Arteta dont seem to have great stamina.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I think a team has to be confident that they can win the ball back if they're going to press so aggressively. The spaces left in behind the pressing teams can be exploited by quality passing sides. It worked on us, but they'd get ripped to shreds by many others in this comp.

alboots101

Established Member
Floating said:
alboots101 said:
Cant see us getting out of the group tbh.

:roll: Are you ******* kidding me mate? Laughable post.

Just calling it as I see it, me old china.

At the back we look vulnarable without Vermaelan, or should I say we are less vulnarable with Vermaelan and although Sagna and Kos had very good games there were times when Dortmund should have scored, I thought Gibbs was pretty awful at times and Meatsacks looked slow and his passing was pretty poor, we were continually caught in possesion and although Song had good moments he also had some pretty bad ones although he was played into trouble once or twice. While I find it commendable that we try to play out of defence sometimes clearing the fking thing is the better option.

All these things say to me that when Dortmund and Marsaille come to the Grove they will put our back four under immence pressure and unless we outscore these teams we wont win.

And lets be honest about all this, without vast improvement from this team this season is going to be struggle and beating Swansea 1-0 hardly fills me with confidence that we can go and beat the top European clubs.

While my gander is up, do you think that Yossi and Arteta are adequate replacements for the bastard son of Barcalona and the lesbian? because I dont, now that is not their fault and hopefully with a bit of time they`ll improve but thats time we aint got.

Also, I`m not seeing what others see in Frimpong..fkn headless chicken..Theo, one good pass all game...The Forehead, clueless at times..thank fk for RVP and cheeeeesneeey.

I`ve never held with the accusation fo "lucky Arsenal" but last night that was certainly the case and the same could be said v Udinese in both legs, dont get me wrong I hope it sticks all season and like some others on AM I`ll take 1-0 to the Arsenal from now until next may but I cant see that luck holding out all season.

Laughable, nah floating just my honest opinion.

:wink:

Arsenal Quotes

The club changed so much, I changed with it and football has changed with us... But one thing never changes: the 90 minutes still belong to the player, 90 minutes during which he is king.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom