• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Celta Vigo vs Arsenal | 24/02/04

juz7_pi12es

Gunner Ossie said:
There you lot go again, talking bollocks about we missed gilberto tonight...............................Sorry but some of you guys are taking the piss

Hey come on!!
It's together!!together!!

thegame24

Established Member
Yes Edu is better away from home and gilberto is better at home.

Kyla we only conceded two goals because of poor set piece defending, other than that they could not score against us in open play and every time we attacked we looked very threatening.
The reason we didnt cane them even more is because Henry wasnt finishing them off like he can.

Now to go on and say we will fail is shocking. We were lacking the final touch in attack and still beat them comfortably so think what we will do when Henry and Pires are on top form.

jc8gooner

thegame- you need to look beyond scorlines and analyse performances. can you actually say that we were good tonight? we were shambolic at the back, our passess were always miscued, intercepted. overall it was s***e- of course with players like pires and henry in your side you will always be guaranteed goals, but the manner of the victory is still a major concern in the CL.

I think Wenger needs to stop faffing around with his upfront selections- either keep it with bergs or kanu- reyes is not ready for this season period! we looked much more composed when kanu came on!

The performance was not great, granted, but the result was good. It's far better that we identify our CL frailties now, against a side who we should now beat, than later in the competition.

Let's not be too down. In the past, we have played poorly and got what we deserved. Tonight, we were not at our best, but we won and scored 3, that's right, 3, away goals.

In the second half, some of our bigger players did turn up. It's just next time, they will need to play well from the start.

Let's be sensible and not get too worried. It's better we get all mistakes out of our system now eh?

Mark

Established Member
I won't explain again why we missed Gilberto as it clearly isn't worth it, but what we missed from Gilberto was made up for by what we got from Edu.

Reyes didn't look that bad apart from trying to be too clever at times and losing the ball, but he looked more confident on the ball and he linked up with Henry and Pires well, almost scored too which is good to see, someone making good runs into the penalty area. He still has some way to go though, but I'm sure he'll make it soon enough.

Kyla

I admit I have reached panic stations, but this is Vigo we are talking about- the English equivalent of say Portsmouth- we couldn't handle any crosses they threw at us. be realistic about what that says about our chances against much superior teams- although this is not to say we will perform as badly at the back as we did today!

jc8gooner

I think we did miss Gilberto's defensive attributes tonight, as Celta Vigo penetrated our midfield too easily on occasions.

However, Edu did very well. It's a good thing that he's getting the goals more regularly now and I also think that he worked hard and passed the ball well tonight.

Juts remember, when someone says we missed Gilberto, that is not necessarily a criticism of Edu.

thegame24

Established Member
Celta were raising their game for the BIG ONE. They know they have no hope in spain, but today they played totally different from the way they play in La Liga

pamilih

Kyla said:
I admit I have reached panic stations, but this is Vigo we are talking about- the English equivalent of say Portsmouth- we couldn't handle any crosses they threw at us. be realistic about what that says about our chances against much superior teams- although this is not to say we will perform as badly at the back as we did today!

Well done Gunners for the win.

But I also agree with Kyla that if this relegation prospect can play so beautifully, what about Real Madrid at its best.

Well, no matter how much I love Arsenal I am realistic that we still have a gap in Europe.

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If we play like we played tonight, we will not get to the finals.
It was very borring.
Henry had an off game, lets hope for his sparkle to return

Andrew

Kyla said:

Definite panic stations. Before this match we've been consitently very solid and one match just changes your opinion just like that. Didn't we beat Chelsea twice in a row, perhaps Spains equilavent of Deportivo or Valencia or something? And we still beat Celta. If we beat Portsmouth by one goal I'll be happy. And it's not as if Celta are really that bad, they did manage to qualify for the Champions League and get to the second round in case you didn't notice.

jc8gooner

I think that too many people were expecting us to piss all over Celta Vigo tonight.

Many say the reason they are doing so badly in the league is cos they've been concentarting on the CL. They got through a group which included Ajax and AC Milan. They beat Milan in Milan. They are a Spanish side, so of course, they are gonna be able to play some good football.

Lets just be happy that we got a win and three valuable away goals and hope that we can sort out our defensive problems soon.

JazzG

Established Member
I don't know what happened to some of our players today, lets have a look at some of them more closely

Kolo+Campbell, they should of easily dealt with some of their attacks. It wasn't like they were undone with neat inter-play, just crosses they wouldn't deal with. Both were poor today, very unlike them. On another day they would of totally dominated them. Just had a bad day....

Freddie + Vieira, I think if other players had been fit those 2 should of not played. Both looked very uncomfortable on the pitch. Wenger even said if Gilberto was fit freddie would of been on the pitch.

Pires + Henry, are those 2 missing Ashley Cole or something. Both didn't do jackshit for most of the game but Henry was working his bollocks for most of the match. Sometimes tried to take the harder option which wasn't very clever. patrick seems to think European defenders have sussed him out, it seems this season he has 5 assists and 3 goals. So joint 4th highest scorer(Ronaldo also has 3 goals) and has the most assists in the CL show to me they haven't quite sussed him out :)

Reyes, I thought he did allright actually. At first he looked nervous but his confidence grew more and more as the game went on, once he gets the ball and can run at people he is a lot more comfortable. His performance was a plus imo, like patrick said sometimes took too much time on the ball but we can't expect too much of him.

Edu, superb stuff. What more can be said, thought he was easily our best player.

Clichy, gave the ball away cheaply but defended well. Has unreal pace so can cut out balls he shouldn't be able to cut out!

Now lets look at what went wrong at the back. Maybe the performances of Freddie and Vieira were the reason we didn't look as composed as we usually do.

Kyla, your looking at this the wrong way. I'd be very worried if they had carved us open with neat inter play and clever runs etc, coz to me that would show even after all these years we can't deal with that kind of attacking. However they were just crossing in and our CBs unusually we dominated in the air. Very unlike them, as on another day they wouldn't of got a touch. Not having Paddy's usual cover didn't help either as did Gilberto's absense. Remember we won the match. Madrid got a right pasting in Munich and should of lost 5-0, they didn't though and will probably make Bayern suffer. The holders Milan have scored 4 goals in 7 games, they were held 0-0. They will take em back to Milan and win though. The away leg is not about the performance, it is about the result. Man utd have had been pasted in the past but held on for draws or nicked wins, all the top sides do it. I would of been concerned if we hadn't won.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Bloody hell, there's some fickle people here.

We. Won. In Spain. For the first time. Ever.
No, it wasn't a good performance, but we've played better and come away with nothing. credit to the team on a night when they weren't playing well for coming back and winning the match having been pegged bacxk twice.

I thought Clichy did well, again. Also, have to agree with Ron, reyes might have been better wide with Kanu up top as Freddie did eff all all night.

Mark

Established Member
Exactly, lets get this into some perspective people, this was never going to be a walkover, anything but. For those of you who think there are easy games in the CL you are mistaken. Some of you will say that are result against Inter was easy judging from the high scoreline in our favour, but the last 3 goals came in the last 5 minutes and we had to work extremely hard for the rest of that game and we were holding on to a 2-1 lead for a long time. We put in an extraordinary performance in that night, tonight we didn't and unfortunetly they were on top of us for quite a lot of the game, but we still won and are in a good position for the second leg.

Vilas

jc8gooner said:
I think that too many people were expecting us to piss all over Celta Vigo tonight.

Yeah, I think this is worth noting. Did anyone catch that statement of Henry's after the match? I thought he said "we expected this to be easy," but I could have misheard.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom