• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Celta Vigo vs Arsenal | 24/02/04

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I think Thierry was saying other people expected it to be easy.

For chrissakes, this is a La Liga side. they may be struggling, it doesn't make them ****. Not at home. Not in europe. That said, with the goal advantage, I strongly fancy us to score a couple at Highbury in two weeks.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
kaids said:
Just because Arsenal won it doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't criticise their performance.

Granted, but I think people have to get some perspective on this. We won. Without playing well. And we did it away from home against a good side. It was never going to be a walk in the park.

patrick42uk

Established Member
tbh i think maybe the plus this season is that we can win without thierry being on top form. last season he dissaperared for most of the second phase, we were knocked out. Now he has apparantly scored 12 of our last 50 odd goals which is not dependency. if he has other games like today, we can be more confident than last season of getting a result.

Taozhe

When they come to highbury, lets hope our crowd will cheer the team for whatever performance they put in :)

JazzG

Established Member
kaids said:
Just because Arsenal won it doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't criticise their performance.

You have to look at the positves though. Some negatives but I think its a one of more than anything.

Look at this way, the european champions AC Milan couldn't beat Celta Vigo, they couldn't even score against them. Celta have struggled in the league as they can't cope with playing in the CL and PL. Same applies for teams like Real Sociedad.

Vilas

Thanks. I must have misheard. I thought that if that was true, they need to think things through a bit more!

JazzG

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
tbh i think maybe the plus this season is that we can win without thierry being on top form. last season he dissaperared for most of the second phase, we were knocked out. Now he has apparantly scored 12 of our last 50 odd goals which is not dependency. if he has other games like today, we can be more confident than last season of getting a result.

We have 3 people on 3 goals in the CL, that is a positive.

Henry is the person who every team will target i.e. man mark, or even double man mark. So others have to chip in with goals.

Gunner Ossie

jc8gooner said:
Juts remember, when someone says we missed Gilberto, that is not necessarily a criticism of Edu.

Well how come I dont see anyone saying we missed bergkamp or we missed ashley cole tonight (you know, the other first team regulars that might also have made a difference tonight).

The reason, i suspect, some of you have started talking about missing gilberto (and not about missing bergkamp or cole) is the fact that you dont want to accept what you saw with your own eyes, namingly edu being the best player on the pitch and thus staking an undeniable claim for a place in the starting eleven, which incidently most of you think he does not deserve.

Finally, arsenal won tonight because edu scored twice; and they conceeded because the defense were ball watching twice.

So please can we just quit talking about players who were not even on the pitch, and if we are going to do so we should be talking about all of them rather than single out one particular player.

Tonight was about the players who were on the pitch, some of whom played and some of whom did not, and nowone else.

Mark

Established Member
Our defending is all that deserves a bit of critisizm, but I don't think it will happen again. Whatever the reason was for this poor defending today I hope they realise they can't do it, but we made up for it with the goals we got and we didn't give up searching for the winner.

bobbypires

Established Member
23/02 was my first great day. 24/02 is the second one. Amazing. First Arsenal match live and Pires scores the winning goal. Incredible. One day I meet him and the next day he scores and Arsenal win. Wow. A dream come true. I'm happy, very happy. :D

juz7_pi12es

Gunner Ossie said:
jc8gooner said:
Juts remember, when someone says we missed Gilberto, that is not necessarily a criticism of Edu.

The reason, i suspect, some of you have started talking about missing gilberto (and not about missing bergkamp or cole) is the fact that you dont want to accept what you saw with your own eyes, namingly edu being the best player on the pitch and thus staking an undeniable claim for a place in the starting eleven, which incidently most of you think he does not deserve.

Who said that WE DONT WANT TO ACCEPT THAT??
Come on..appreciatte!!

Mark

Established Member
bobbypires said:
23/02 was my first great day. 24/02 is the second one. Amazing. First Arsenal match live and Pires scores the winning goal. Incredible. One day I meet him and the next day he scores and Arsenal win. Wow. A dream come true. I'm happy, very happy. :D

That sounds an incredible 2 days. Congrats! :D

juz7_pi12es

bobbypires said:

Hey share the photos!!

jc8gooner

I am a massive supporter of Edu's and believe he does deserve a place in the starting line up. I have thought for ages that Edu is a better player than Gilberto. In fact, earlier this season, I said that we would not win the title if Gilberto remained first choice.

I am more than happy to accept that Edu played excellently tonight. His goals were excellent and he did a really good job.

But that still does not change the fact that i think we missed Gilberto's defensive qualities tonight.

I think you'll find that most people on here are supporting Edu- see the poll in 'the great debate thread'.

As I said earlier, saying that we missed Gilberto is in no way a criticism of Edu.

Mark

Established Member
Neither Gilberto or Edu deserve a place ahead of the other, whoever is playing we will have some kind of quality that the other doesn't give us, but we will also miss a quality that the other gives us. I'm just glad we have such great options in midfield and we can rotate players and never really be that much weaker.

bobbypires

Established Member
I enjoyed a lot these two days. The match was incredible. We were not excellent, but we weren't bad. I liked the match (possibly cos it was my 1st), The fans, the Edu goal and the final combination Henry-Pires. They're always together: playing cards, on the bus, same room and on the pitch.
Together, together.

Brilliant. Yesterday I wrote Amazing day. Tomorrow I will write Amazing day pt.2

You can see the photos very soon.

Arsenal Quotes

An Arsenal fan, when you finish fourth, will say, “Hey, we’ve been in the top four for twenty years. We want to win the league!”. They don’t care that Manchester City or Chelsea have spent 300 or 400 million euros. They just want to beat them.
But if you finish fifteenth two years running, they will be happy if you finish fourth after that.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom