• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Panathinaikos vs Arsenal | 20/10/04

kanuuu

Established Member
lehmann could've got back to stop the goal but he was just strolling back, i dont he thought the bloke couldve pulled off a shot like that, it was an awesome finish.

A

Anonymous

i really envy chelsea. theie goalkeeper is superb and world class. arsenal should get him earlier. chelsea is better than us in CL. in fact they are the best out of the 4 english teams in CL. jsut now skysports interviewed Arsène wenger. he was asked why his team is so good in EPL but poor in CL. as usual he gave crappy stupid answer. and said with a smile. he seems to be happy with a point. oh God wake him up please

A

Anonymous

OK, OK Quit *****ing so much.

The team have to deal with the media's lashing after every "poor" result in the CL, they shouldn't get the same constant mess from us. A reaction here and there is OK, but the team needs our support. Secondly, it's not like we have our best team out there. We did not have our captain, Gilberto and Bergkamp. That's three starters.

Still, we should've won the game. We didn't play well, but we took our chances when they came. One mistake by the keeper cost us a goal, and one mistake from the defense cost us another. We shan't always be this unlucky. As I said when the groups were announced, it was a mistake to underestimate our group, especially PSV. But as things stand now, we have 2 games at home to play, and another against PSV. I think we shall qualify, and that's all that matters.

As to why we don't do as well in Europe, well quite simply the competition is better and our expectations for ourselves are needlessly overblown. The point in the CL is to win. 1-0, 2-0, 2-1...it doesn't matter. Winning by more than 2 goals is very ****ing hard. 5-1 is a rare result. Confidence therefore goes a long way, and we are lacking it because of the expectation and the lambasting when we don't meet the expectation--as we haven't met the expectation. Until we string a couple of wins together, we shall always be viewed as underachieving and it will affect the team's confidence. But here's one important thing, the team has learnt how not to lose.

flotz

good result i think but im a little bit disapointed that we let a lead slip 2 times...
but hey i would have taken a draw before the game because i think it was the toughest game of the group...2 wins will do it fine and i see no problem getting through...
i hope they dont start to talk about our lack of capacity to win in europe and all that crap... even though i think we need a better keeper
i can understand one howler but 2 in the same game is frustrating
chelsea by the way are crap ! i think 80% of their goals this season came from set pieces...now everyone will be talking about how well they play but they are just discusting me...great defence but cmon with all these players i expect them to play some good football at least

A

Anonymous

USArsenal you are a dreamer. the way arsenal played you think they can still win the CL? sure they can but only they decide to wake up and play their game. i can't see them winning the CL this season. perhaps few yrs later

lewdikris

Established Member
We were rubbish through the middle of the park today - but otherwise fine.

Lehmann was risibly at fault for both goals. Great finish for the first, but why Lehmann came for it at all, **** knows.

He completely missed his run for the second.

Edu was bollocks. Was made to look average by a 17 year old. We really, really missed Vieira/Gilberto today. Both Fabregas and Edu were leaving gaps between the midfield and the defence that didn't cost us a goal, but gave up a lot of shots, and a lot of initiative.

Pires was not much better. He was ill the last time he played behind Henry, so fine, give him another shot. But he's not a no.10. Playing Reyes on the left was the right decision - him and Cole work really really hard together defensively, and link up brilliantly going forward. But Bobby's place in the side is out wide - if he can't claim a spot in front of Jose (he can't) or in front of Freddie (which he can when we're playing well, and can't when we aren't) he shouldn't play.

Van Persie needs to be given a shot in the Bergkamp role away from home.

But we'll still qualify. This isn't a problem. Just a waste of a couple of points.

The group's still ours without too many problems.

patrick42uk

Established Member
USArsenal said:
gooner_329 said:
brianfrance said:
Be cool guys, our players thought more about Manyoo match than this one...a draw isn't so bad...the match we really have to win is the next...

excuses.

arsneal ain't going far in CL if they keep on playing like crap in Europe. I don't get it, arsenal does so good in epl but when cl comes ....... :(

and pray tell who IS going to go far? Porto and Monaco got to the finals last season.. Not Real, Not Milan, not Barca, not Bayern... they are all the "big teams" that people are comparing us to... the fact is, we will see how well we do.. no one knows anything other than that

you are right. the only way we'll win this cl is purely through luck.

you guys keep saying we shouldnt sit back on 1-0 leads, but you do realise that this is an alternative. we'v tried all attacking in the past and it has failed. wengerball fails in europe because teams in europe dont give you the space it requires. i also wonder how much it is a choice 'to sit back on leads in europe. IMO that is patronising the oppostion we face because do you expect them to sit back and watch us score a second?

Florida Gooner

gooner_329 said:
arsneal ain't going far in CL if they keep on playing like crap in Europe. I don't get it, arsenal does so good in epl but when cl comes ....... :(

When CL comes it's a very different kettle of fish, yes? As has been pointed out by several before, it's the best teams from every league we're facing now.

That said, even with the limited amount of EPL games I've seen, I'm pretty comfortable saying that there's an awful lot of mediocrity in the EPL that we're not seeing in the CL. This is in no way, of course, an excuse or rationalization for a tepid performance.

Here's the match report from Soccernet. Not for the faint of heart:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=166731&cc=5901

A

Anonymous

Same old Arsenal in Europe again. Its just not funny anymore, I really cant see us winning this comp any time soon.

We scored two really nice, well worked goals but conceded two shockers. What was Lehamann doing? There was no need for him to come out for the first one, and as the the second, I dont know what he was thinking.

Also, if Edu and Cesc play at OT, based on tonights evidence we will lose. Simple as that. Edu was crap again tonight, he is simply not good enough. I lost count of the amount of poor passes he plays, and Cesc as good as he is is only 17.

We missed Vieira and Dennis big time tonight, but we still had more than enough to win this game but didnt get anywhere near the levels we reached on Saturday.

And we had nothing on the bench at all. It doesnt say much for Wengers confidecne in Van Persie, Pennant and Flamini etc

DaViEsW

Arsenal's Plan for Conquering Europe:

Plan A: Play our game. Use our pace to hit the Counter Attack, and make it look easy and deadly. If (in the likely even that) this doesn't work...

Plan B: Panic and assuming we've managed to squeeze a goal through, hold on for dear, dear life.

A

Anonymous

yeah edu is crappy. keep losing possession and passess. he should go. cesc is good man. he's young but he's better than edu.

Jkreffer

Established Member
Dunno why everyone suddenly thinks Edu is crap!? Last season we were all crying out saying hes a new world class player at Highbury, and he should start ahead of Gilberto!

Henry IV

At the halfway stage of the group we've won the home game and drawn the two away games, fair enough we let the leads slip on our travels but it's still a good return.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
For someone to suggest we are poor at CL is just crazy!!! Even before this round they still claimed we were poor even though we were on top. I still the CL is still within our reach. NO TEAM yet has shown they are it. So chelsea is 3-0 with most of their goals coming from set pieces and they have shown they can defend a lead..but can they come back from a goal down?? They didn't show much at the city of light.

We are in it..and as long as we make it to the second round..its anybody's game. Please take time and check if Porto's first round record last year was convincing. We got issues to resolve but its wrong especially for funs to dismiss our chances.

lets move on to Sunday.

mood

Yeah, after 3 or 4 good games he's excellent already? nah, I have always had my doubts in him DEFENSIVELY especially. I do not like him as a player at all, sorry to say that..but he's the only one I feeel that way about. I like Lehmann when he plays good, I hate his attitude though, but he's very good when he's up for it... but performances like today makes me want to squash him. Don't we all?

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I never said Edu was world class.

Sol- Look on the bright side, we will have Dennis back. And maybe, if we're very lucky, Paddy.
Right about the subs bench, though I did predict it myself about two hours before kick off...

Jazz- I agree, Rob has had a few goes in the Dennis role and it just hasn't come off.

Anyone buy the injuries stories? Surely Arsène would have made changes- though the perceived lack of confidence in the bench may explain why they weren't made.

KingReyes

Established Member
Its dissapointing to see Wenger not put in Van Persie, or maybe even Flamini in for Reyes or Pires after scoring to make it 2-1. Sure the goal to make it 2-2 was from the corner but we would have had that extra man in midfield which maybe could have forced Pana into long balls.

I think Wenger went for the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' routine.

As for Edu, I think he put it some good tackles and had a good work rate, but can admit and say his passing was average.

A

Anonymous

Arsenal will never win the CL under Wenger simple as that

cause he hasn't learnt from the past

EDU is crap and we badly missed Vieria.

I have a strongly feeling we are a due a spanking this weekend

The bench seems very weak. Should have given VP a chance

A

Anonymous

i agree with you pires 7. under wenger i don't think we can ever win the CL. perhaps under the chelsea manager we can but under wenger i just don't htink so. i hope so but my feeling tells me we can't.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 23

Arsenal have agreed to part ways with midfielder Sambi Lokonga following talks with the player [Evening Standard]

Arsenal are likely to be priced out of a move for Sporting Lisbon’s £86m striker Viktor Gyokeres [Football Insider]

Arsenal are considering a move for Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow as a replacement for Aaron Ramsdale [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe is keen to reunite with Ramsdale if the club can make an acceptable offer [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Ajax LB Jorrel Hato remains the club’s top defensive target [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Top Bottom