• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Panathinaikos vs Arsenal | 20/10/04

Icarus

PolishGooner said:
KingReyes said:
Here are my thoughts, overall I can never be upset with a draw away in the CL in a tough place(atmosphere) against a good greek team like Pana. .

what tough place? What atmosphere? Only 12,000 !!! Our stars are affraid of 12,000? Come on, think about Nou Camp ...

Clearly you've never been to a match in Greece.

16,000 only yes, small, but very close to the pitch, and VERY loud. Lot's of pyrotechnics, lot's of songs, lot's of jeering etc.

Hence why Arsenal have not won in Greece in a long time. I am remembering them being eliminated by PAOK some years ago. 1-0 I believe at the Toumba stadium in Thessaloniki and then 1-1 at Highbury.

Even the Euro chokes of Greece (Olympiakos) have an very impressive home record (something like 20 wins in 23 home matches....).

A

Anonymous

Same old f****g bullshit ... im so frustrated i actually taped the games cuz i had somethin urgent to do but when watched on tape i was so f****g bored and pissed of at the way we played i was watchin it in fast forward!!!
Glory hunter.

Stop the whinging everyone, its a draw, oh well, an away draw, we havenet lost in 3 games now, including 2 tough away draws, we will win against both those sides at highbury and will qualify top still.
We played well, we created chances and scored enough to win, its not the rest of the teams fault that wenger keeps playing a duffer of a keeper.

KoLo28

Can't win the CL under wenger la de da de da... WTF

Some of you live in a fantasy world where nothing ever goes wrong and we dominate every team and put 4 minnimum past them, very spoilt by our epl form. WE DREW AWAY in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.... we didn't lose at home, we didn't even lose away. I'm always happy with a draw away and over the moon with a win, the reality is it's very hard to win away from home in europe, hostile crowds, slower tempo, foreign environment etc. The group stages is about grinding out results and taking what you can, the aim is to qualify, not neccessarily win every game.

WHY DONT WE JUST SACK WENGER THEN, BECAUSE HE'S GOT NO IDEA AND HAS DONE NOTHING FOR THE CLUB, get a grip dickheads.

KoLo28

I don't get to watch the game till friday, but I just saw the goals from our game and chelseas game.

There first goal was absolutely amazing.

The area of the crowd i saw at stamford bridge wasn't full like it normally is, all the glory hunters jumped of the wagon after the loss to city?

leongsh

KoLo28 said:
The group stages is about grinding out results and taking what you can, the aim is to qualify, not neccessarily win every game.

I agree with the above. It is an away draw but that leaves Arsenal with a bit more to do in the next 3 matches. I would prefer that Arsenal get the qualification to the knock-out stages sewn up early so that they can concentrate on the EPL.

Now, with regards to how well Arsenal played against Panathinaikos, I would say they played quite poorly given the high standards they have set themselves. Giving credit where it is due, I thought Panathanaikos played better than Arsenal on the whole. They were more cohesive, had better passing and better defensive coverage. They harried and hustled the Arsenal players and were quite physical in their game. The only Arsenal players who played quite decently, in my opinion, were Freddie Ljungberg, Jose Antonio Reyes and Francesc Fabregas. The rest were generally below par.

The sharp end of Arsenal's failures in this game were the 2 goals let in. In this game, it was substantially Jens Lehmann making those errors that led to the goals conceded. For the fisrt goal conceded, if he had cleared the ball sufficiently far and out-of-play, it would have been a good call but he did not get that break as the clearance did not go far enough and Gonzalez got to the ball to then lob it over him for the first goal. In respect of the 2nd goal conceded, he fluffed it coming for the ball that was crossed in.

However, not all blame can be put on the goalkeeper as the defence was caught out on a break for the first goal and for the second goal, the defence was caught napping as Olisadebe was given a free header with no one seeming to mark and challenge him in the air.

Of note to Arsène Wenger: Yes, I agree that I, as a gooner, have been spoilt by the football that this team have played and expect a lot from them in every game they play.

KingReyes

Established Member
SUN RATINGS

ARSENAL: Lehmann 4, Lauren 6, Toure 7, Campbell 7, Cole 7, Ljungberg 7, Edu 8, Fabregas 7, Pires 7, Reyes 7, Henry 7. Subs not used: Taylor, Van Persie, Flamini, Cygan, Senderos, Pennant, Larsson.

Edu MOTM? Surely there was better, of course it is the sun.

Florida Gooner

KingReyes said:
SUN RATINGS

ARSENAL: Lehmann 4, Lauren 6, Toure 7, Campbell 7, Cole 7, Ljungberg 7, Edu 8, Fabregas 7, Pires 7, Reyes 7, Henry 7. Subs not used: Taylor, Van Persie, Flamini, Cygan, Senderos, Pennant, Larsson.

Even I, an ignorant Yank, knows it is The Sun. :lol:

Taozhe

I am disappointed with the result but its an away in Greece game where they tend to do very very well. A 2-2 draw is better than Mancs 0-0 draw. Anyway, the people that dissed wenger is the thing that pisses me off. Historically Wenger did better than Fergie in his first 8 years. We are operating on a smaller budget than the rest and I say we did hell of a good job. Luck was never on our side and we seem to have a psychological thing on us in the CL.

Glory hunters will diss Wengers, I can hardly think of any true fan who would even think that we will never win the CL under Wenger. Some even think we are better off with Mourinho - WTF?! The moaner of EPL? Porto winning the CL was a ONE OFF.

With Wenger - yes we can do it. with others? I dun ****ing think so.

Florida Gooner

Taozhe said:
I am disappointed with the result but its an away in Greece game where they tend to do very very well. A 2-2 draw is better than Mancs 0-0 draw. Anyway, the people that dissed wenger is the thing that pisses me off. Historically Wenger did better than Fergie in his first 8 years. We are operating on a smaller budget than the rest and I say we did hell of a good job. Luck was never on our side and we seem to have a psychological thing on us in the CL.

Glory hunters will diss Wengers, I can hardly think of any true fan who would even think that we will never win the CL under Wenger. Some even think we are better off with Mourinho - WTF?! The moaner of EPL? Porto winning the CL was a ONE OFF.

With Wenger - yes we can do it. with others? I dun f****g think so.

Good points there, my friend, especially regarding the budget, but I think that the two blown leads, especially the very late one, is what has people bent out of shape. Can't blame that on Wenger, for sure, since he doesn't suit up or play defense/ keeper. Bad luck? Could be, hard to say. Glory hunters we call frontrunners in the US, not worth your time to get excited about. Hate Moronho, but hey, they won it, and as much as I hate to say it, it's one more than we have. Credit where credit due and all that. Let's talk during the knockout round. We'll be there.

KoLo28

People haven't been shutting up about how **** Edu is all of a sudden, I'll wait till tomorrow when I see the match. Either the Sun are stupid or some people on here are.

Spartan

people on here are blinkered...Edu done ok, seems to me hes getting singled out just cos it seems hes gonna leave.

and all you f**kers moaning about we'll never win it with wenger, then f**k off down to west london where they win 1-0 all the time

Isragooner

pires_7 said:
Arsenal will never win the CL under Wenger simple as that

cause he hasn't learnt from the past

EDU is crap and we badly missed Vieria.

I have a strongly feeling we are a due a spanking this weekend

The bench seems very weak. Should have given VP a chance

you must be 11 years old.

jeromelee

tyketto said:
i agree with you pires 7. under wenger i don't think we can ever win the CL. perhaps under the chelsea manager we can but under wenger i just don't htink so. i hope so but my feeling tells me we can't.

What I think is that the lads seemed to be conserving their energy. I wouldn't know why, but it seems that's what they were doing. Seemed to be taking it easy.

But it's true that at the moment, our CL's form doesn't appear that we are ready yet to win it.I hope that changes in the next round. Why can't we just play our normal game.

tbbosa

Well what can I say..just dissapointed. But we could have won it with a little bit of luck....Reyes almost scored in the dying minutes and the rebound taken by Pires was definately heading for the net, till i don't know how the keeper saved it. Am still optimistic that we will qualify, Jens has cost us many times, but I believe he is not stupid and that he will try to amend for all the heartache he has caused us in Europe. We can only improve from here!!
We should let Edu go though in January, for his own good and for the good of the Arsenal. Also we need to give Van Parsie and Pennant more playing time!

sabret00the

Established Member
Florida Gooner said:
KingReyes said:
SUN RATINGS

Even I, an ignorant Yank, knows it is The Sun. :lol:
couldn't beleive it when i saw that this morning, i was wondering if they were watchign the same game i did.

Arsenal Quotes

A fan and a supporter behaves in different ways and what we have experienced in the last two games is pretty unique and is related to our history

Mikel Arteta

Latest posts

Top Bottom