• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

COC: Tottenham vs. Arsenal- 23/09/15 - 7:45pm - SS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
Hey, normally think you're spot on with several of your opinions but going to disagree with you on the Arteta issue.

Arteta, rusty, yes but he's constantly being bypassed in midfield and once beaten has no hope in hell of getting back to recover the position. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciated what this guy has done for the club and for a few years he was our most consistent performer, however, he's shot & has been for the last 1 1/2 years.

Will he be adequate cover until Le Coq returns or Wenger decides to dip into the transfer market come January? Not imo. Against more robust & technically gifted midfields, Arteta will be "piggy in the middle". We better pray to whichever gods that Le Coq ain't out for too long.

Santi's position will be under threat if Arteta plays as Wenger has to put some legs in the CM to assist & Ramsey should return to his favoured position.

Deboosh was woeful (he was constantly bombing forward and being caught out of position) & I thought Giroud looked like a lazy lump up front. Campbell doesn't have the engine for the EPL-he work hard but looks shot after 30 mins.

Well Arteta has never relied on his legs and ability to cover space within our third that has usually always been the job of his partner, what I saw from him last night was great communication from which is infectious to his teamates, good interceptions, in the first half I felt he and Flaminis presence and positioning helped control the game.

If he is played alongside an athletically physical charged player i.e. Ramsey, Flamini or even Wilshere and these players dont neglect their defensive duties, which I doubt would happen with Arteta in their ear, theres no reason why he couldnt adequately deputize for a few games maybe he couldnt play consecutively in such circumstances and thats where Arsène has failed imo but I still think he can be an asset for us. Pirlo throughout his career had his weaknesses hidden due to workhorses and energized midfielders like Seedorff, Vidal, Gatusso and Pogba partnering him throughout his career and the same with Xabi Alonso.

Bould14

Well Arteta has never relied on his legs and ability to cover space within our third that has usually always been the job of his partner, what I saw from him last night was great communication from which is infectious to his teamates, good interceptions, in the first half I felt he and Flaminis presence and positioning helped control the game.

If he is played alongside an athletically physical charged player i.e. Ramsey, Flamini or even Wilshere and these players dont neglect their defensive duties, which I doubt would happen with Arteta in their ear, theres no reason why he couldnt adequately deputize for a few games maybe he couldnt play consecutively in such circumstances and thats where Arsène has failed imo but I still think he can be an asset for us. Pirlo throughout his career had his weaknesses hidden due to workhorses and energized midfielders like Seedorff, Vidal, Gatusso and Pogba partnering him throughout his career and the same with Xabi Alonso.
Wishful thinking I think.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
Damn it feels good to be beating this lot once again. Haven't stopped smiling all day. The banter of beating them with the team we put out is too much haha. Flamini achieving cult like status with his performance too. Great stuff.

Mastadon

Established Member
It might only be the league cup but how ****ing sweet was this win. We've virtually ended Sp**s season they have nothing left to play for now. League cup is pretty much all they have and Flamini took it from them.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
People always say the League cup doesn't matter, but oh boy it still feels good today. One of our high points in a very average season thus far.

Flamini was good yesterday. Even without the goals he performed better the Arteta. Somehow, Flamini always shine in such a box to box row. The last time he played in this role he did well against City at home too.

I thought Ospina was top class too. Came out for all the balls well and made a wonderful save against Eriksen. Centrebacks looked solid too, really feel happy for Chambers. When's the last time we can say we have 4 good CBs and 2 good goalies?

Other than that, thought Gibbs was great too! One of his better performance in the whole of last year. Ox and Ramsey also did well although they still have a lot of technical inconsistent moments. I particularly like how Ramsey played yesterday even though it wasn't his best.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Ramsey should have had three assists, Giroud missed a couple of good chances as did Alexis - who's scoring his chance if we turned the clocks back a year.

Think it just shows that it can be Ramsey, Özil, Cazorla or Jeff in that 10 role, if your forwards aren't doing their job then it's all pointless.

Also highlights that Özil really isnt needed as much as many think. I'd bench him during the big games. Sick of feeling like playing with 9 men (Him and Giroud) vs the big boys. We create chances with or without him.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The five years stat is kind of thrown by his Madrid stats.

I love Özil but I think to many people try to make out like he was actually worth it at present.

blaze_of_glory

The five years stat is kind of thrown by his Madrid stats.

I love Özil but I think to many people try to make out like he was actually worth it at present.

His assist stats are likely thrown off by his time at Madrid, as he had Ronaldo smashing his passes in for him. But I don't think his numbers for creating chances have changed much. He's very consistent at doing that, and is still right up at the top of the EPL during his time here, possibly even first but I"m not sure.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Hasn't Özil created the most chances in the league so far this season?

And one of the highest in Europe over the last 5 years?

Honestly, people just need to lay off Özil. He makes us tick. And is the least of our problems, honestly. Don't buy into the British media hype. The boy is pure class.

And some people defend him to the death. I way saying that Sp**s was a big game, we played our second string, and we still created loads of chances.

I was pointing out that IMO he isnt needed in these games as he's failed to really influence any big games and we can look more solid defensively if we get Ramsey back in the middle.

Coquelin--Santi/Arteta

----Ramsey

We will still create chances but we will be much harder to beat.

Spare me his "chance created" stat from his time at Madrid, we aren't Madrid.

onetowatch

And some people defend him to the death. I way saying that Sp**s was a big game, we played our second string, and we still created loads of chances.

I was pointing out that IMO he isnt needed in these games as he's failed to really influence any big games and we can look more solid defensively if we get Ramsey back in the middle.

Coquelin--Santi/Arteta

----Ramsey

We will still create chances but we will be much harder to beat.

Spare me his "chance created" stat from his time at Madrid, we aren't Madrid.

My post wasn't directly addressed to you it was more a defence of a world class player, one of if not the best on the world in his position, who gets a rough ride in this country due to a media who are less concerned with talking and writing about football and more with creating agendas and hounding players and managers out.

Özil is an attacking midfielder. He's created more chances this season/2015 than anyone in the league. So he's more than done his job I'd say. The 5 year stat is relevant because it shows that he's been consistent over a period. And Ronaldo knocking them in has nothing to do with it because we're talking chances created, not assists.

By the same token if you're going to caveat that he played with the worlds best players at Madrid, you need to also talk about how for almost half that time he's been feeding Olivier "can't run" Giroud. A massive handicap compared to Silva feeding Aguero or Fabregas lining up Costa.

In any case, you just have to watch us at our best to see that Özil is at the centre of it. Everything goes through him or Cazorla. When we're not paying well, the issue is rarely Özil. Of course he's had bad games but everyone does. He's not the roll up your sleeves, gritty leader that for some reason the media so want him to be. He is the best playmaker in the world. Set up your team around him and he will - and does - thrive.

BobP

Memri Fan
Some observations:

Debuchy is getting some unwarranted flack, we were compact and narrow in this game meaning that wide areas were going to be vulnerable if, as happened, at times, one doesn't switch or move the whole of our shape quickly enough to cover the flank and doesn't prevent the creation of passing avenues for the opposition to switch play. Debuchy was moving wide, as he should, but the team wasn't following him. To pull of something like that on a consistent basis requires the team to be in total sync with one another, really difficult stuff to pull of which I doubt Wenger spends much time working on.

Ox I feel is on the cusp of something but there's something lacking mentally. Wenger suggested that all he needs to do is believe in his own ability, I'd probably agree with him. He has a great shot, is a powerful runner, awesome dribbler and has an awesome build but his concentration absolutely let's him down at times both defensively and offensive, has difficulty remaining switched on for the duration of the game. The type of player he is means that he has to thrive off of risk, he has all the characteristics to take the game on but it's almost like he's scared to do so or lacking the confidence, I highly doubt it's an instructive thing as Wenger is all about players expressing themselves. His career could either go two ways, either he kicks on and becomes the outstanding player we all know he can become or he becomes a Milner type player, very good at what he does but has a limit.

The cohesion in our attack is also off, I think the stigma attached to our attack force is forcing them to go for goal whenever an opportunity presents itself so as to alleviate pressure on them. They almost look confused at times when they're in an advantageous attacking situation, almost as if they're split on whether to pass or shoot, saw that in the chance Walcott had where he hesitated for a moment as Giroud was totally free and onside but he ended up going for the goal anyway and ultimately missed.

I count about 7 or 8 chances Sanchez has had which he probably would have scored last season, he'll get going but as I've already said I'm a bit worried by his predictability when coming in from the left, would love to see him on the right.

Campbell won't make it here.

Ramsey is still way too sloppy for a player who considers himself a centrally based player.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
Hasn't Özil created the most chances in the league so far this season?

And one of the highest in Europe over the last 5 years?

Honestly, people just need to lay off Özil. He makes us tick. And is the least of our problems, honestly. Don't buy into the British media hype. The boy is pure class.
It's all subjective anyway. Sky sports have just said Cazorla has created the most chances so far this season. It literally depends on which site is reporting it. Another site could well be saying Silva has created the most. Everybody defines 'a chance' differently.

But there's no denying the other players have been letting Özil down.

Mastadon

Established Member
There is also no denying that Özil has let everyone down too. In no way has he lived up to the expectations set when he signed we would have been better off signing a striker and keeping Santi at AM. Santi scored 12 and created 12 in the league before we signed Özil he was a far superior AM in an Arsenal jersey.

He's been more Arshavin than Bergkamp so far even Arshavin was more exciting in his first couple of years and he was played out of position. If this is all Özil has to offer he's useless to us. Step up or step out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom