• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EC: Arsenal vs Juventus | 02/08/08

gstew

Re: Emirates Cup: Arsenal v Juventus | 02-08-08 16:15

I'm surprised by all the negativity I'm reading. We were far better than Juve and they "scored" from an obviously illegal goal.

Good things to take out of game:

1) Sagna is just a phenomenal footballer!
2) Gibbs was excellent defensively and could possibly provide some depth at LB. I was quite surprised.
3) Denilson finally played well. Maybe he is getting back to form.
4) Diaby looked like he could possibly play some DM. I thought his defensive anticipation was pretty good.
5) Vela consistently shows he is going to contribute quite a bit this year.
6) I thought that all three CBs played well. Both Djourou and Senderos were solid. Once Song returns, we might be fine with our depth at CB.
7) Ade wasn't sharp, but you can tell there is a difference when he is in there. His physical presence always gives us an outlet.
8) Our youngsters can compete with Juve's experienced international starters.

lee1001

Established Member

Ade showed why he is the number 1 striker at Arsenal. He didn't score but came the closest with the header, shot from Bendtner's pass and the wide shot right at the end. Match fit and sharp and at least one of those would have been a goal. Compare that to Bendtners contribution.

sabret00the

Established Member

I thought Gibbs was average to be honest, and what's the point in having an outlet in adebayor (ignoring the fact that we seemed a lot more toothless in the second half then the first) if we're just going to lose the game anyway?

sabret00the

Established Member

lee1001 said:
Ade showed why he is the number 1 striker at Arsenal. He didn't score but came the closest with the header, shot from Bendtner's pass and the wide shot right at the end. Match fit and sharp and at least one of those would have been a goal. Compare that to Bendtners contribution.
Where as in a team that doesn't struggle for goals when the chips are down, he'd be a squad player.

KingReyes

Established Member

Thought the main concern was that midfield player whom would take the Cesc role of moving the ball around in the final third trying to find space. Denilson played the DM role, Nasri has only just arrive, Theo is a winger and Eboue is not someone whom can take that role. I was hoping it would be Diaby and although he looked good on the ball he needs to be more advanced.

Lancelot said:
Nasri didn't do anymore than Eboue, to be fair.

Nasri hasn't been with Arsenal for three and a half years like Eboue.

arsmile

Established Member

that wasnt too awful really- not gonna loose any sleep over a goal that was 3 yards offside, shame we couldnt get one back but showed planty of promise.....

..i'm going to do some ratings, hoyte inspired me cos i cant emphasize enough how incompetent he is.

fab-6- did all he could

hoyte-2- an a to z of how not to be a full bakc, stand off the winger, never make a challenge or even close them down, and also stop making any offensive runs in the 53rd minute cos there's no point- add that to a complete lack of any desire and the tehnique/passing range of a marsupial...well then that is what hoyte is......he has definately got worse- it's like he's given up on making it so just wont do anything....a complete gaping whole in our team where he was meant to be

djourou-5.5- did ok, few stupid challanges/passes- did alright though

senderos-5.5- some nice 'senderos' moments, but solid enough

gibbs-7- so much better than hoyte it was embarrasing

eboue-6.5- did ok- got a feeling he'll be a lot more impressive this season- a lot more variation in his game- lots of running, could actually play an important role as an elder head

denilson-7- good cesc-esque first half..kinda got lost in the second, he's my favourite to partner cesc

ramsey-6.5- did everything well, very mature performance

wilshere-6.5- very promising of course, hussled well when out of possesion also

vela-6.5- works hard

bendtner-5.5- barely featured in the second half, worked much much better with vela than ade

gallas-7- a good center-back..playing for arsenal?...surely not

diaby-6- vieria like at times, but at others will happily just dribble it down blind alleys untill he looses it, some say that's possitive directness, i say that is unnecesary possesion loosing, i'm a much bigger fan of the denilson type CM..diaby isnt a player who makes time and space for himself like cesc/denilson/ramsey- he's a different type of player who seems to be catching up with his own decsions- where he's kind of fallen into doing something with the ball before he's even decided what to do with it (that dosent make sense)because he dosent make himself the time on the ball, good player that he is, i probably actually prefer him on the wing cos he has less influence on our rhythem (oh and he cant even nearly tackle well enough to partener cesc..can he?

ade-5.5- rusty, one good shot, couple of headed chances, an attitude problem which he cant afford to have when he isnt playing as good as half of our other strikers

walcott-6- some impressive runs, soem stupid decsions...yep, sounds like theo

sagna-7.5- hold on, is that what a right back is?.....you forget after watching justin for an hour

nasri-5- diddnt do anything in truth, give him time though

so yeah, sorry hoyte but you really wound me up today- not an entirely disheartenign performance; well and truely holding our own against a full strength juve...i dare say our substitutions only acted to disrupt any momentumn we had and quashed any chances we had of getting one back...

looking back at some commetns...seems a lot of you disagree with me....

lee1001

Established Member

sabret00the said:
lee1001 said:
Where as in a team that doesn't struggle for goals when the chips are down, he'd be a squad player.

Can you rephrase that? I don't understand.

True Gooner

Established Member

Diaby did well tbf, he made some tackles and closed down his opponents well, but I still dont think hes a defensive player I think he'll do better in Fabregas' position when Cesc gets a few games off in the middle of the season.

lee1001

Established Member

KingReyes said:
Thought the main concern was that midfield player whom would take the Cesc role of moving the ball around in the final third trying to find space. Denilson played the DM role, Nasri has only just arrive, Theo is a winger and Eboue is not someone whom can take that role. I was hoping it would be Diaby and although he looked good on the ball he needs to be more advanced.

Lancelot said:
Nasri didn't do anymore than Eboue, to be fair.

Nasri hasn't been with Arsenal for three and a half years like Eboue.

Let's be honest Fabregas is the only one in the squad that can play that role effectively. Anybody else is a BIG step down. He is the only player in the squad who is irreplacable and fingers crossed he doesn't get injured.

sabret00the

Established Member

lee1001 said:
sabret00the said:
lee1001 said:

Can you rephrase that? I don't understand.
He was woeful, two attempts on goal in 45 minutes. His decision making was off and he was part and parcel of a very underwhelming second half.

AliBabaBrewer

Line of the day: 'Theo Walcott's like a young Landon Donovan'

Second best line of the day: 'Arsenal are a lot like New York. Both have young players, but that's where the similarities end'

Pony game, lacking teeth again, so we try to gum Juventus to death.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member

We were generally unlucky today. I thought Chiellini and Mellberg were superb for Juventus. Someone of Mellberg's experience and quality on a free transfer is an exceptional signing. I don't understand why we didn't go for him.

lee1001

Established Member

sabret00the said:
He was woeful, two attempts on goal in 45 minutes. His decision making was off and he was part and parcel of a very underwhelming second half.

He wasn't woeful. He got himself into positions giving him the best chances of the games and with more matches under his belt he would have scored. he also held the ball up very well and filtered the ball out nicely to the wide positions for the cross. Unfortuntely they weren't that great. Bendtner has had considerably more game time and he truly was woeful. Vela, and Walcott are not ready. RVP is an unknown. I stand my point that Ade is our number 1 striker.

True Gooner

Established Member

sabret00the said:

It was his second (half) game this pre-season, you cant blame him for being rusty.

Lukazan

Established Member

That's probably the first 100% competent goalkeeping performance Fabianski has put on for us. I felt Djourou played well and looked like the player he did a couple of seasons back. Eboue was a waste of space as per usual, someone just shoot him and get it over with. Ramsey was neat and tidy, Denilson had a good game, and Diaby had a few bright moments when he came on too. Impressed by Vela. Didn't get in to the game as much as we'd all have liked but what he did on the ball when he had it was clever. Nasri was very meh.

Btw, not having Fabregas on the pitch just makes you appreciate how truly class he is. Although we've got a few promising central players, none are anywhere near close to Fabregas' leve or ability.

goonerwarsh

Established Member

We were toothless up front I felt and lacked any real urgency in the middle of the park.

I have a real horrible feeling we're going to struggle this year after the frustrating summer we've had. We don't have the feeling of a team on the up. I'm not judging that on todays performance but just the club as a whole. The Flamini, Hleb and Adebayor sagas are going to take their toll as there's obviously something not right with the club at the moment

arsmile

Established Member

lee1001 said:
sabret00the said:

He wasn't woeful. He got himself into positions giving him the best chances of the games and with more matches under his belt he would have scored. he also held the ball up very well and filtered the ball out nicely to the wide positions for the cross. Unfortuntely they weren't that great. Bendtner has had considerably more game time and he truly was woeful. Vela, and Walcott are not ready. RVP is an unknown. I stand my point that Ade is our number 1 striker.

ade has played nintey mimutes of preseason and has been good for about 4 minutes in total, primarily due to poor decisions/first touch...on merit i'd pick vela and bendtner over him- even just based and today's performance...come tomorow though he'd have played as much if not more than many of his other fist teamers, so he can have the benefit of the doubt now- but not after that

arsmile

Established Member

goonerwarsh said:
We were toothless up front I felt and lacked any real urgency in the middle of the park.

I have a real horrible feeling we're going to struggle this year after the frustrating summer we've had. We don't have the feeling of a team on the up. I'm not judging that on todays performance but just the club as a whole. The Flamini, Hleb and Adebayor sagas are going to take their toll as there's obviously something not right with the club at the moment

we were threatening in the first half- where nik and vela were swapping around being creative and intelligent- ade was holding the top posistion for the entire second half and very rarely let bendtner get beyond him..toothlessness was primarily his fault in the second half as ALL our chances fell at him- and (some more difficult than others) all were missed- he's a massive physical presence but both vela and bendtner are shaping out to be better finishers than him (not to mention robin or eduardo)- so he cant be the one we are relying on soley to finish off our moves

lee1001

Established Member

Id also like to add that he had only played 45 mins of football in 3 months and he faced a defensive team with 10 men behind the ball including Mellberg, Chiellini and Buffon.

banduan

Established Member

lee1001 said:

You mean compare his shot to Bendtner's great pass? Or compare his shot to Bendtner's shot that got deflected against the post?

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom