• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emirates Cup: Arsenal vs Napoli | 03/08/13 | 16:20, BT Sport

mo50

Established Member
ArsenalDNA said:
The midfield was experimental. When's the last time Ramsey and Wilshere played together as the two holding midfielders in a semi competitive game. As soon as Arteta was out there we looked solid again.

Of course the attack looked ****. Why do you think he's been targetting strikers?

If our attack looked off how did theirs look? Without Jenkinson and Fabianski they would have created one chance the whole game. Did they even have a shot in the second half?

Didn't Napoli come second last year? Haven't they spent 50+ million this window?

It wasn't the perfect performance, it wasn't even a great one. But there's no point getting upset about it.

I don't really care about the result, I'm just disappointed with how little 'internal improvement' that was on hand. The fact that it took until Arteta to come on and tighten that midfield just goes to show how desperate we are for reinforcements, but Wenger will stick with Ramsey and Wilshere and hope they pull through. As we've seen today and countless other times, that just won't cut it.

Also, Napoli lost by far their biggest player, had a change in manager and also had their new star CF on the bench, yet they were passing around us pretty easily tbf. Hamsik was running riot in the first half.

Another disgusting display by our attack too. Podolski looks shot, Rosicky with his pretty little turns can't pick out a decisive pass if his life depends on it, and Giroud was just huffing and puffing, Chamberlain running the ball too far wide, etc. These guys will score against the Crystal Palaces and Aston Villas of the PL but against the big boys they'll come up short. I'm just fed up of watching an Arsenal attack consisting of too many donkeys.

It's the fact that we're not seeing any improvements, whether internally or by signings, that pisses me off.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
A absolutely agree with mo.

There was no improvement to see yesterday, compared to last season. I really hope Wenger doesn't think we can compete for the League even without new arrivals, because quite obviously, we can't. Hopefully that's just some sort of transfer window talking.

With the current crop of playes, we can only go so far, that's been the story of last season. While our run-in has been fantastic, I can't see any reason why we should be able to prolong that into next season and keep it intact for longer than a couple of weeks. The squad we have is a good platform to build on, but not good enough to compete for titels over a whole season.

Chappers

It's safe to say our first half eleven was experimental, not dynamic and therefore it's a bit naive to draw conclusions based on one half. We need 3-4 signings but the overall squad is interesting. Having had so many players not contributing but still on high wages, its left us with a few holes to fill and we need to replace the dead-wood.

Gnabry hasn't shown enough for me to be an option next season and if we sell Gervinho I hope we have a replacement in mind. The importance of Arteta is worrying and we need either Ramsey or Wilshere to shield the back four if their partnership is to work. Yesterday, it was apparent we had no designated dm in the 1st half and our organisation suffered.

If we lose Gervinho a winger/AM, striker and DM will be needed minimum. Actually, cb is possibly the most urgent depending on Vermaelen's return/further injuries.

Selling Gervinho without a replacement in mind would be pretty idiotic and I hope Gnabry isn't the "internal" solution AW has in mind. He is good technically but he needs to improve his stamina and work-rate. Seeing Poldi stroll about on one flank and Gnabry on the other caused our failure to break down Napoli in the first half.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Very disappointed about yesterday. The boo'ing of Higuain was uncalled for the booing at half time I have no problem with. Podolski bottled it with a backheel when he should have shot (and I really like Podolski), showed he lacked a killer instinct. I think we have seen that we lack proper depth Gnarby should be Carling Cup at best and Jenks (again as much as I like him) should only be considered back up at best at this point in his career.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
redwhiteAustrian said:
A absolutely agree with mo.

There was no improvement to see yesterday, compared to last season. I really hope Wenger doesn't think we can compete for the League even without new arrivals, because quite obviously, we can't. Hopefully that's just some sort of transfer window talking.

With the current crop of playes, we can only go so far, that's been the story of last season. While our run-in has been fantastic, I can't see any reason why we should be able to prolong that into next season and keep it intact for longer than a couple of weeks. The squad we have is a good platform to build on, but not good enough to compete for titels over a whole season.

Well Wenger does believe that he can win the title with this squad and without addings to this squad.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The thing that encouraged me yesterday was how I always felt we'd come back and either win or draw the game, whether that was due to Napoli tiring or just our spirit, I noticed it last season as well, we always come back strong, I can see a lot of last minute winners this season...

infineon

Established Member
THunter said:
The thing that encouraged me yesterday was how I always felt we'd come back and either win or draw the game, whether that was due to Napoli tiring or just our spirit, I noticed it last season as well, we always come back strong, I can see a lot of last minute winners this season...
That's the worryingly thing. I am not sure Napoli were really going for it that much and were still able to carve us apart on several occasions and grab a couple of goals. We had to "go for it" in a pre-season friendly to really get on terms :S

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yeah the questions need to be asked, definitely, the Liverpool game at home is probably the best example of us giving away stupid goals. So i'm defeinitaly concerned about that, but I'm happy with how they seem to respond in those situations as well, we're similar to United in how we keep coming back at teams.

baccy_man

Established Member
ArsenalDNA said:
Kos is our best player.

If we don't make any improvements on this team and carry on the same as we are then i can see Kos wanting to move in the near future,
It is time to show what is left of our best players that we are going to improve the team and show ambition to start winning things again.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I was impressed with the link up play from Rosicky and Wilshere (our best two players yesterday in my opinion)and the amount of times these two won the ball back and the general urgency and tempo of their play. Just a shame that our players finishing was so poor (podi in particular ).

Tangy99

Someone make a match thread for todays game? I've never done one before and I would feel under too much pressure. :)

Arsenal Quotes

To all the Arsenal lovers:
Take care of the values of the club. My love and support forever.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom