• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL – Arsenal vs Chelsea – 12:45pm – 29/9/12 - SS2

arsenallegends

Established Member
The fullbacks are being blamed but its the attack thats at fault. Jenkinson was delivering crosses in into good areas but there was no one to attack it. Then you go and blame him for the cut backs?

We need method with the front. When and who goes near post, who goes far post, when we look for the cut back, when we put it in the box. The front line needs to be a lot more cohesive. Wenger is partly to blame because of the continous changes. We have some good combinations but not everyone is on the same level yet. There needs to be method.

progman07

Established Member
One thing nobody has been talking about, though it was absolutely ridiculous is Vermaelen's footprint on the first goal.

He had been stuck further up on the pitch, and decided to jog back because there would be no need for him to rush, so when Arteta or Cazorla missed the tackle and Torres won the ball, Vermaelen got on the wrong side of him and needed to make a stupid fault.

arsenallegends

Established Member
I remember someone crossed in from the right side in the second half and Gervinho and Girioud were hanging in the back post. Next occasion, Gibbs tried to lob to the same area but both strikers were occupying new positions. The fullbacks needs to adjust to their positions but throughout the game it was evident that things are bit too free form.

VAVAVOOM 14

Well that was a sobering experience wasn't it?

Needless to say I'm extremely disappointed for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, since when do Chelsea come to our home ground and keep the ball better than us whilst playing the prettier football?

Some of the intricate triangles orchestrated by Mata/Hazard were Barcelona-esque. I can't accept being beaten at our own game at home by Chelsea. Granted they didn't score from open play, but they looked more fluid and dangerous nonetheless.

Secondly, I think this game illustrated how imperative Diaby is to us. All his detractors should keep tight lipped from now on because without him we looked completely different than the Arsenal we've so far become accustomed with this year. An absent Diaby alters the dynamics of our game.

I was horrified by the way Torres was able to take on our team single handedly on occasions. Our defenders allocated him too much space and couldn't get near him at times.

Beforehand alot of people on this thread said we would win the physical matchup; well, to my liking Chelsea did. They won far more tussles in the air and Torres was able to bring the ball down and hold it up with ease.

Why is Mannone at the club? I'm sorry, but a reject Hull City Keeper will never be Arsenal calibre. Unless your interpretation of "Arsenal calibre" is different from mine. I'd prefer an inebriated Szczesny in goal.

It was very disconcerting to see how easily Chelsea's midfield dominated ours.... Ramsey is not the answer. I just pray Wilshere and Rosicky are firing on all cylinders ASAP.

Laurent Koscielny looked like Pascal Cygan.

However, there is still a a long way to go yet.

Accomplished

Established Member
Was at the game and thought our fullbacks were different class compared to the rest of the team. Corporal and Gibbs were quality throughout, not sure what else people could expect of them apart from actually scoring the goals themselves.

The rest...well it's been said. We weren't utterly terrible (apart from defending set pieces), but we weren't particularly good either. Early kick off and some pretty average performances.

As a quick aside, have to say the Emirates is still a toxic atmosphere and pretty horrible place to be on days like today. Support was terrible throughout, which I can accept as it's an early kick off and no home teams get proper support, but the second half was just one long cacophony of jeers at misplaced passes and minor mistakes.

I highly doubt the players actually enjoy playing at the emirates unless they are winning 6-1 against southampton. Every other game is just filled with pressure and angst towards the players, combined with expectations that are just impossible to live up to. Who wants to play in front of 60,000 people who are going to jeer them when they make a mistake?

Crappy day overall, but equally I don't see how people can be particularly shocked by the result. Chelsea are a quality (and incredibly expensive) side that will be challenging for the title. Some of the posts at the start of this thread make Chelsea sound like Fulham...was that ever going to be the case?

trunks206

Established Member
progman07 said:
One thing nobody has been talking about, though it was absolutely ridiculous is Vermaelen's footprint on the first goal.

He had been stuck further up on the pitch, and decided to jog back because there would be no need for him to rush, so when Arteta or Cazorla missed the tackle and Torres won the ball, Vermaelen got on the wrong side of him and needed to make a stupid fault.

I mentioned it earlier while everyone was getting on Kos for the goals. TV was out doing what much of the forum were getting on him and Song for last season venturing up field and not getting back...so much for Bould's influence. No freekick --> no goal. Imo Kos is just as good at reading the game as Per, he (Kos) may not be as vocal as TV but the complement each other the best imo but Wenger made TV capitan so here we are...

awooga83

Established Member
Well what a terrible day for Arsenal that was!! That is easily one of the worst performances I have seen for a very long time from us.

I was going into the game, as I am sure many of us were, with a lot of positivity. We had looked good the last few matches at the very least the equal of Chelsea, but when we started the game our inferiority complex seemed to rear its head again. Instead of the pressing, positive attacking play we had seen these last few weeks, instead we looked paralysed by fear and indecision. The strange thing was there was no reason to as Chelsea were abysmal, granted they are winning but they were poor and we should not have lost.

Still too much weakness throughout the team, don't think Ramsey is going to be good enough, unfortunately looks like Diaby is never going to shake off his injuries and he can't be the mainstay of the midfield. Giroud as much as I'd like him to be successful does not look like he can deal with the pressure that comes with being at a top club and we need a striker who will add 15-20 goals a season.

Overall difficult to take any positives for me out of that game, terrible day at the office. The only thing we can hope is that we become consistent and build on our earlier form against the 'lesser' teams and we have a good run of league games to come we should expect maximum points from.

Mudi

trunks206 said:
progman07 said:

I mentioned it earlier while everyone was getting on Kos for the goals. TV was out doing what much of the forum were getting on him and Song for last season venturing up field and not getting back...so much for Bould's influence. No freekick --> no goal. Imo Kos is just as good at reading the game as Per, he (Kos) may not be as vocal as TV but the complement each other the best imo but Wenger made TV capitan so here we are...

bullsh*t!

Then, you can also question why Arteta lost the ball so easy. If he held it easy and kept possession, we wouldn't discussing that 1 time that Vermaelen went forward.

But it's football. If you would know what's going to happen on your next moves, you wouldn't do stupid things, would you?

trunks206

Established Member
Mudi said:
trunks206 said:
progman07 said:

bullsh*t!

Then, you can also question why Arteta lost the ball so easy. If he held it easy and kept possession, we wouldn't discussing that 1 time that Vermaelen went forward.

But it's football. If you would know what's going to happen on your next moves, you wouldn't do stupid things, would you?

Yes but at the time he ventured forward the score was tied we didnt need to commit defenders...he shouldnt have pushed up. Giving away silly free kicks puts pressure on our defense and today we conceded 2 cheap goals because of it.

I'm not saying Kos is not at fault...he was very off today (as was most of the team tbf) I was just responding to the fact that I too was frustrated with Verms venturing forward needlessly at time today.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
on leaving Mertesacker on the bench...
That is a decision which was based on the opposition we played. You can say it was a wrong one maybe, but I believe [that statement] is a lowering the quality of the players who played, they are internationals.
If you do not play Koscielny or Vermaelen and cannot win the game, you will ask me the same question.

No. No we wouldn't. This was another howler that did not and does not need the benefit of hindsight.

If Per was good enough to play away against City, then he was good enough to play at home against Chelsea. It's not like their front line is any quicker than Citys. A simple "I fcked up" will do.

mistaT

Established Member
Watched it on replay (credit to ESPN3) and have a few late additions to add:

Chamberlain is still a long ways off, and against quality opponents his play is meek. His attention to the details/game is no where near the level necessary of a professional. Saw him consistently switching off as players drifted by him.

Wenger rightfully deserves to catch some flak for the loss. Bring Koscienly/Vermalean in is bad enough, but to start Ramsey over Ox/Theo/Gervinho (wide) at home is concerning. Say what you want about Theo and his current situation he has always had big games against Chelsea.

Giroud is getting there, and while the miss hurt I'm starting to warm to him. Gets in good positions, works hard, and is happy to help defend. Here's to him coming good because we're seriously lacking bodies in the box if he doesn't start.

Gibbs - Fabo ripped him on the last page but I thought he was near excellent. It wasn't even his offensive play that impressed me today, but that he was so up for the game and committed to defending.

Credit to Gibbs.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
The Jury said:
on leaving Mertesacker on the bench...
That is a decision which was based on the opposition we played. You can say it was a wrong one maybe, but I believe [that statement] is a lowering the quality of the players who played, they are internationals.
If you do not play Koscielny or Vermaelen and cannot win the game, you will ask me the same question.

No. No we wouldn't. This was another howler that did not and does not need the benefit of hindsight.

If Per was good enough to play away against City, then he was good enough to play at home against Chelsea. It's not like their front line is any quicker than Citys. A simple "I fcked up" will do.

That type of nonsense from Arsène always annoys me. Right up there with 'we can't spend £50 million on one player'.

Anzac

Established Member
Me thinks some are giving too much credit to Diaby as an individual,
as opposed to the sort of attributes he provides as a player type.
Like Song's presence last season Diaby is the only option who provides a level of experience and skill sets & physicality to his role.

Yet again it highlights an issue with our squad depth regarding the roles we play - we have numbers but lack real quality & depth across the pitch.

Bossa

Established Member
Big Per is our best defender. Vermaelen should not be captain because this means that he's undroppable. I absolutely hate it when he makes these over agressive rash tackles. He's like a bull seeing a red lap in front of him sometimes. Our left side of defence are all over the place positionally. Two unnecesary free kicks from our left side costed us(and the lack of a in form striker)

We missed Diaby really because he's an outlet that gives Arteta more time on the ball. Arteta was unfortunetly marked out of the game by Oscar. I cannot wait when Wilshere is back. He can be the key for us so that we can initiate our attack faster and better.

Anzac

Established Member
From a tactical point of view CFC were set up to nullify our midfield with their 4231. Their 3 pressed hard & high to cut down Arteta's time & space,
and their 2 played as sitting CMs as opposed to our B2B role between 2 playmakers.

Also the comments regarding our 'real' width and our opening goal are misleading. We apparently had something like 20 crosses from wide in the 1st half but only 4 found the target, with most failing to get beyond the 1st defender.
Yes our movement in the area was poor but the quality of supply was lacking.

Bossa

Established Member
Why cross the ball so many times when nobody can head the ball except for Giroud who was on the bench. There is also nobody in the box when we cross it.

**** crossing

Anzac

Established Member
Bossa said:
Why cross the ball so many times when nobody can head the ball except for Giroud who was on the bench. There is also nobody in the box when we cross it.

**** crossing

Most of them were driven low but even then it shows a lack of 'intelligence' and a lack of tactical flexibility.
I'm a big fan of systems style play but there is little point in banging your head against a brick wall as such.
For mind Gervinho's goal from a cross does NOT mean that it was right to persist with the option for a return of 1 from 20.
For mind the CFC CBs had an easy ride today & we failed to attack the channels apart from Podolski's 2 drives into the area.

Anzac

Established Member
Best way for me to sum up the performance was that there was far too much in our play/patterns from defence to attack that was more like RECENT seasons,
and not enough about what we've been doing well THIS season thus far.

It's almost like we either reverted to type on the pitch OR they were instructed to do so along with the changes made in the selections to the CB pairing.

Giroud

Established Member
Such a shame. Missed the game because I was playing myself but our defending from set pieces was shocking. Unmarked players from free kicks, Koscielny was weak marking Torres and Mannone was all over the place. Cech did fantastic against Giroud, closed the angle so well, these little things make good keepers great keepers.

blaze_of_glory

As much as we didn't play well I still thought we were the better team for most of the match. Chelsea's goals were very fortuitous and against the run of play. They barely threatened otherwise. Our team is very good, just need to keep believing in themselves and not lose focus like they did today.

Arsenal Quotes

Thierry Henry was very quick at analysing everything that was going on and how he needed to react. This intelligence, this capacity to evaluate, understand and question oneself, is also the mark of great players... For everyone, for the fans and for us, he symbolised the golden age of Arsenal.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom