• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL- Arsenal vs Man Utd, May 1st 2011, 14:05

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Don't think I'm allowed to post the direct link but the match compilation for Ramsey can be found on this persons channel.

Freagle

Thanks Macca.

I don't understand some fans to be honest. We beat Man United, simple as that really. Whether they were flat or we made them look poor doesn't make a difference now. We all have been screaming for Man U to go through so they can look tired in our game, and they did, hence the win. Yet some of you still complain that we managed to play our own tippy-tappy ****e and win.

Yes we messed up and yes this game should of been more intense for us as well, and yes this should of been a title decider but that doesn't mean we give credit where it's due. We outplayed them in a tactic they have long deployed against us. Fabregas was not playing yet we looked technically equal but more confident in defence. I am not asking fans to cheer even though we let the title slip away, to ignore all the mistakes Arsène or the players made but to actually cheer our team whom in my opinion were under more pressure than Man U. Yes, Man U had to win to shove off Chelsea but they always had another chance to make up for it. For us, it was more than that, we had to prove that we can equal Man United, we had to prove that we can beat them when we put our hearts in it and even though winning the title was far away which mounted us with less pressure, I still believe we had more to lose than Man U.

We had a big game. A game in which I believe can sum up our summer activity. 3 points that can make us more comfortable in playing against Man U with the same tactics for next season. Even though we are out of the race, it doesn't mean we stop supporting our team.

ebouenolike

Established Member
Cheers macca for the compilation. I remembered Rambo having a solid game, but I was so tense during the game I didn't notice how much he contributed defensively, very encouraging.

DK Gooner

Good game but just wish it would mean something more. We have beaten United prevously with big players missing - 2002 at Old Trafford being the big one - and other "lesser" teams have done it so getting the odd victory here and there is to be expected. Albeit ine step at a time, but we need these kind of performances in those cup competitions and league games when it could mean the title. United did not expect to lose this game so credit to our boys for getting a welcome result.

From what I recall of the game, Ramsey was key to Arsenal's dominance with intelligent movement both defensively and offensively. He is more composed on the ball than Wilshere in the final 1/3 and is so comfortable off either foot. By next season he could well cement his place at AM. Song was more disciplined than previously, but still has the capacity to make things difficult. He gave away so many cheap free-kicks that could have been more costly on another day. His lack of acceleration means that he often ends up getting to the ball 2md even when he has a slight head-start. While it was a better performance from him, I still think we need a better player than him to fulfill that role in our team. Wilshere again played well, but his lack of final ball needs to be worked on. He gets enough opportunities to attack the opposition box, but rarely challenges himself to take the shot or dribble. Hopefully he improves on this aspect next season.

Defensively we were OK. I thought Koscielny played well. This style of opposition play suits him. He would be even better if he could improve his passing and decision making once he has one the ball as he could instigate a lot of attacks/counters with his interceptions. Clichy almost cost us with a rash challenge - though the fact that he did what was neccesary and got away with it should perhaps be commended.

While I am happy with the result, I was worried about our inefficiency in the final 1/3 given the number of very good opportunities that came our way. This wastefullness was allied to inability in the last few minutes to retain the ball in the manner we had served us so well earlier in the match. We invited unnecessary pressure from a team that offered largely nothing during the game. While we managed to hold out this time, it could easily have ended up being another of those occasions.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Y va marquer said:
I don't understand this.
Everytime we lose it means something so on the flip side everytime we win is also significant.what
In the context of our attempt at winning the title we know it's too late but in the context of player's having the experience of a win over United it's valuable.
It would have been really damaging for this team to have suffered a seventh consecutive loss to them.

Great for the younger less experienced players to have this feeling.
They saw for themselves today that when they played without fear and nerves (for the most part) that they were better than United.
That has to be beneficial on some level.

We beat United in 2008 in a game of far more contexual importance than this one, we also beat Chelsea away that year and again at a more crucial time this year. Surely what you describe here was experienced then? Did we go on to learn from those great wins?

This is a truly bittersweet victory. Sweet because it shows us the quality of Ramsey and what he can do for us if he can play more as well as what this means for him personally, as well as the quality at our disposal of course, however there is a bitterness to it.

I believe we won this game purely because we have been put back in our comfort zone, back within the context we are at our best. The pressure is well and truly off now and with that in mind do we free ourselves from our immense and paralysing mental anguish we suffer when it really and truly counts.

One thing Ill credit the side for though, is controlling a very determined United side. This game for United meant the world of course. Could this be the true sign we are looking for, the sign that shows some sort of improvement in the mental area?

As for Wenger, no doubt he will make use of this performance to drive his argument, if he has not done this already. I instead hope he uses this performance, and one or two others this season and tries to sustain it throughout the coming season.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
sammy89 said:
DanDare said:
I meant during the match not during the season.

United didn't play badly because we were great. We played the same way we usually do. We seemed to have a bit more fire and grit and we tackled better than usual. United were hardly in 5th gear for the whole match though, were they?
They had a clear counter-based game plan which had worked for them in our last six encounters. Don't be fooled by their lack of possession, they played the anti-Arsenal game very well.

I'm not fooled by their lack of possession, try not to be so condescending. I know exactly how they were trying to play and how it has worked in the past. They just didn't do it very well. This was not a result of our great play, they just didn't really turn up.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom