• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL – Arsenal vs Southampton – 3pm – 15/9/12 - Player

jaguars4ever

Accoding to the Beeb, this was Southampton's biggest Premier League defeat in nine years, which they also lost by the same score to us in May 2003 - the start of our 49 unbeaten run. :D

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-z8ftrdNYA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-z8ftrdNYA</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this a sign of impending greatness?

How does our present lineup compare against what we fielded that day?

RUS arsenal

Established Member
TheCourier said:
RUS arsenal said:
Seriously? AOC was terrible for most of the game. When the Saints practically gave up is when he became visible but when the game was won in the first half he was terrible. One of the things I noticed is that he hogs the ball way too much. He needs to learn to use his teammates more effectively. Though I'm not worried, he is just going through the maturing process that most football players have to go through.

I really do not understand what people see when they watch ox play, if the kid doesn't do something unbelievable people here say he was terrible. Ox did what was needed yesterday, made breaks and crossed but due to the top three switching no one was in the box to take it (well except when he picked out cazorla wh balloned it over the bar). He constantly made runs and was always willing to take the ball forward, tackled and defended. Good performance - not amazing but good and I'll take good constantly rather than a great then average like some of our wingers do
For most of the game he ran into to too many dead ends instead of doing quick one-two's with the others to get penetration in the final 3rd. Didn't contribute enough in the first half before Saints gave up.

Anzac

Established Member
jaguars4ever said:
Accoding to the Beeb, this was Southampton's biggest Premier League defeat in nine years, which they also lost by the same score to us in May 2003 - the start of our 49 unbeaten run. :D

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-z8ftrdNYA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-z8ftrdNYA</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this a sign of impending greatness?

How does our present lineup compare against what we fielded that day?

Lol - talk about making a leap of faith.

That squad had been together for some time & were at their peak,
this lot have only begun to get their feet wet & aren't up to full strength as yet.

If you'd said that in a year's time when we'd had a season under their belt & had the kinks ironed out in the 25 man squad then perhaps... :wink:

kalleTheMan

Established Member
Good perfomance all around. Southampton were naive defensively and we took advantage with ease. Podolski, Arteta and Gervinho were very good and Cazorla is always a joy to watch. Ramsey has done well off the bench this season.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
fabo said:
Yeah, Ox was meh yet again, he's done **** all in months tbf. Majorly pissed with Szczesny for their goal, that was shocking and ruined what should have been another clean sheet.

Good performance overall anyway, Arteta and Cazorla were strong yet again, Podolski is impressive, Gervinho had a rare good game, the CB's are performing well. We are pretty good with most of our best players available - major concern for me is when Arteta cannot play and also Giroud overall, he doesn't impress me in the slightest.

Disagree with the part about the Ox. I think he did okay, went on two or three good dribbles, had a few decent shots and kept it simple when he needed to. I agree about Szczesny, extremely annoyed with him, he needs to step it up tbh.

Giroud I still feel its a bit early for him, I personally wouldn't have dropped him for this game but he was dropped and Arsène's decision was justified. I still think there's goals in him.

MaestroCesc

RUS arsenal said:
TheCourier said:
RUS arsenal said:
Seriously? AOC was terrible for most of the game. When the Saints practically gave up is when he became visible but when the game was won in the first half he was terrible. One of the things I noticed is that he hogs the ball way too much. He needs to learn to use his teammates more effectively. Though I'm not worried, he is just going through the maturing process that most football players have to go through.

I really do not understand what people see when they watch ox play, if the kid doesn't do something unbelievable people here say he was terrible. Ox did what was needed yesterday, made breaks and crossed but due to the top three switching no one was in the box to take it (well except when he picked out cazorla wh balloned it over the bar). He constantly made runs and was always willing to take the ball forward, tackled and defended. Good performance - not amazing but good and I'll take good constantly rather than a great then average like some of our wingers do
For most of the game he ran into to too many dead ends instead of doing quick one-two's with the others to get penetration in the final 3rd. Didn't contribute enough in the first half before Saints gave up.
Really? He hardly ever lost the ball, linked well with Cazorla. In the first half he put in two great balls. It seems to me if he doesnt score or do some amazing piece of skill people say he played poor?
In the 2nd half he did some good shoots and again linked well, if he had got the goal he deserved im sure most of you would be hyping about him

gavboyle

Anyone know where I can watch last nights Match of the Day? I watched the match yesterday but hate missing Arsenal when they're on it.

evoh_1

Established Member
MaestroCesc said:
arsenallegends said:
Southampton were really really bad in the first half. They got together in the second half, but I just wonder if we were ok with sitting a bit deep and working counter attacks. One of the easiest fixtures we'll have this season; its timing is perfect, I'm hoping this game creates a momentum that could go through till Christmas. COME ON!

One of the best things about this season is the fact that there is serious competition to become a starter. We saw a hungry Gervinho and Ramsey. How wonderful it will be to be able to call upon them from the bench and have a good dose of confidence in them? Same goes for Jenkinson. Who could step up next? Arshavin, Djourou, Chamakh?

Support today was poor. Pin drop silence at certain points, broadcast showed people couldn't be pissed to celebrate. By and large, these are not the same personnel that disappointed us time and again.
This, support was shocking, embarrassing in the 2nd half when there were literally no songs

Everyone was dulled in the second half at the stadium, but it was exactly the same when we battered blackburn last year.

Enfield

Established Member
Its good to see our guys doing well with Theo sitting on the lines with no contract signed. Its up to him now to get on the bus before it pulls out of the station. Were done with bending over to players who haven't earned there raise.

Also its good to have some senior pros like Cazorla, Podolski, Verm, Arteta, Merty etc setting a good example for the guys coming in like Ox and le Coq

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
That offside trap looks great indeed. Very convincing.

Great result yesterday. Though not sure how to rate it. Soton looked very poor, of course that was partly because of our play.

Downside for me was Sneezy, hope he 'saved' his mistake for a harmless moment. Wasn't impressed by Coquelin either. Still think we should have signed a DMF / box-to-box CM.

On the bright side Cazorla is still doing great. Good performances too from TV, Merte, Arteta & Poldi (great workethic, much better at freekicks than JVP). Gerv brushed something off his shoulder, hope that means he'll continue this way. Gibbs contributed too, though I wasn't impressed by his general play. At least we got 2 goals of his 'crosses', for which the same goes as for shots if you don't try you never get something.

Think Ox can do better than he showed, still undecided about Jenkinson, hasn't shown he's Arsenal quality yet.

glaveror

Watched the game today and it was simply great,except Szczesnys blunder-wtf was that!?
I hope this win gives us momentum for midweek and City game which should be very interesting.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I've been away for a week and missed every ****ing thing. Can anyone direct me to a good download for the full game please?

RUS arsenal

Established Member
eye4goal said:
Love how we look in sync defensively. Even the hands are going up at the same time

I'm absolutely loving this, you can always see 2 perfectly organized rows of players at the perfect distance from one another. 8))

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
The Jury said:
I've been away for a week and missed every ******* thing. Can anyone direct me to a good download for the full game please?

Did you know that Arsenal Player has every PL game in full from Sun/Mon? You do have to pay your annual membership but its only about £30. You can watch highlights without membership.

entropy13

Established Member
Analysis of the game:
<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1336013-arsenal-analysis-of-the-gunners-6-1-victory-over-southampton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1336 ... outhampton</a>
The interesting thing here, and I must say, praise-worthy thing here, is the fact that Arsenal are playing a high line, but with two safety catches.

It is a inverted 4-4-2 because it is actually deployed as a 2-4-4, as you can see from the diagram, where the first figure represents the two center-backs (Thomas Vermaelen and Per Mertesacker), the second figure, the two full-backs (Kieran Gibbs and Carl Jenkinson) and the two pivoting deep-sitting midfielders (Mikel Arteta and Francis Coquelin), and the last figure, the two flank players (Lukas Podolski and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain) and the two advance attackers (Santi Cazorla and Gervinho).

The noteworthy thing is this:

Rather than playing the high line "outside," Arsenal have here devised a way to play it "inside"—"inside" because of the fail-safe two center-backs that lie outside it to guard against or to forestall the danger of counterattack.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
Nice quote, but I stay away from that site. One ***** was waxing lyrical about Gibbs, proclaiming him to be Sagna's successor at left back. Seems like anyone can write a piece over there.

trunks206

Established Member
I wish Wenger would have taken Santi off at the 65min mark. He's such an immense player for us that at 3 goals up at home he should have been taken off.

He's now the first name on team sheet so we need to give him a rest whenever we get the chance.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsene Who?

Headlines of English media when Arsène was announced as new manager of Arsenal in 1996

Latest posts

Top Bottom