• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL:Liverpool v Arsenal|Tuesday, April 21, 2009@2000

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
What
a
game.

Quality game with some frankly ridiculous defending from both teams. Extremely entertaining. I think if Liverpool had a bit more ***** and didn't get so gung ho about scoring they could have won this game comfortably as, sorry Gooners, they were clearly the better team. However, Arsenal gave an exhibition iin taking your chances.

Firstly, Arshavin's first goal was not offside, despite what, ehhhhhhhhhm, Stevie G says.

Secondly, that performance by Arshaviin is one of the strangest I've ever seen. It sounds completely ridiculous but all he did was score 4 goals. I don't remember him touching th ball in the rest of the game. It seemed like he had 4 kicks and scored 4 goals. Brillaint performance from him but strange.

I know Arshavin got motm, but Fabianski must have been up there. A few shaky moments but he kept you in the game first half. Without him it could have been 2 or 3 nil to Pool by the time Arshavin got his first.

Cracking game and a great advert for the prem, I do wonder if premier league defences have gone on holiday a month early though!

DOUBLE-YOU

the game is playing again on sky right now. i shall watch again and analyse the game more.

we were weak as piss last night.

asajoseph

Established Member
Liverpool were by far the stronger side, yes, and our defending was absolutely chaotic. However, if Liverpool couldn't score more that 4 goals against that defence, it's nobody's fault but their own - it makes no sense to say you 'deserve' anything, or that we don't 'deserve' anything because at the end of the day it's up to each team to play what's in front of them.

However, when dodgy refereeing decisions come into it, it's a whole different kettle o'fish. Scoring legitimate goals (and I don't know if either of our 'offisdes' were legitimate, so I'm not saying this was the case) and having them wiped out by poor officiating is certainly incredibly unlucky over the course of 90 minutes.

It doesn't really matter if we were outplayed - we can do all the navel gazing we like, and we sure as **** better improve in future, but in terms of the result I don't see how anyone can say we were lucky.

General

Established Member
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
General said:
You've answered your own question with the last sentence. And just for the record I would've dropped Denilson too. Perhaps you want to read the start of the thread to see how many people taking issue with Wenger's tactics/team set up when the team was announced. Theo's introduction meant Liverpool couldn't press as high as they did in the first half. Seems to be you just want to have an argument for the sake of it.

Got too much sh* to do to argue for the sake of it. Cesc coming down to get the ball didnt help too much even after Denilson went out and Walcot came on. I just rewatched the game again. They were all over us all the way. First half and second half though as one would expect the energy level would drop down a notch in the second half. You want to attribute that to the Walcot factor go ahead, i just dont see it that way. I disagree with Wenger's choice of how to play Cesc but it stops there. Its a difference of opinion but i wont go to as far as challenging his basic understanding of the game/our players. The A-M coaches that were making noise on the initial lineup today/saturday are the same ones who did not want Song anyhwere near the bench not too long ago but will call Wenger a clueless coach for not playing him on Saturday.

We cant use every poor showing of our players to slate the tactical awareness/knowledge of the coach.

No one is challenging Wenger's basic understanding of the game. You are moving goal posts. He's susceptible to mistakes just like any other manager out there and debating the contentious issues is what we all here for. In this regard you picked up on a valid point. You talk about what could've been done differently and then go on to say you're not sure about the remit Cesc was given, meaning given the choice you would've played him in his preferred role, and dropped Denilson too I guess. Your welcome to disagree but it appears we agree more than disagree on the fundamental issue of team setup so I'm leaving it here.

banduan

Established Member
asajoseph said:
However, when dodgy refereeing decisions come into it, it's a whole different kettle o'fish. Scoring legitimate goals (and I don't know if either of our 'offisdes' were legitimate, so I'm not saying this was the case) and having them wiped out by poor officiating is certainly incredibly unlucky over the course of 90 minutes.

Exactly!

And Bendy's goal was legit. Unless you consider a Bendy hand in front of you as reason for offside.

I haven't seen enough of Cesc's to say for sure, but it looked legit to me first off.

Kenyonhater

So, the same defence against ManU but no Arshavin. God help us.

I can't get my head around our f**king injury curse. It's been there for YEARS. We got to the CL Final in 2006 with a decimated defence (Flamini at left back!), last season was ruined by injuries to Eduardo and Tomas and this one has been a disaster. Just when Theo and Cesc come back we lose Gallas and Almunia, both in the best form of their Arsenal careers. Will it never end?

asajoseph

Established Member
I don't think we'll be that bad defensively against Utd.

Sagna surely can't be that bad again, plus no Arshavin will at least mean a little more protection against Gibbs.

Toblerone Toes remains a massive problem in the middle though.

marco

what a game! definitely worth the 400 mile round trip and the 2 am bedtime!
normally your gutted when team equalize in last minute but we deserved to get smashed in that game!
what a little player arshavin is- i wander if rvp and ade are watching him and maybe learning how to finish chances!!

as for team selection the best thing that happened was them goign two one up.
denilson gets subbed and hey presto we look dangerous!
wigan all over again
why the **** have we got to go behind for this to happen
next wednesday we all know denilson will ****ing start!!
we have a **** defence and he will play cesc further up ( complete waste!!)
how many times did bentdner win headers to then have no one running on it!
silverstre is an absolute liability but we have to live with it!

marco

Biggus said:
arsenalfc0719 said:
What I don't understand is why Wenger rested Arshavin and Song in the FA Cup for this game, which was meaningless anyway.

Because hes a f**king Muppet.

at the end of the day one thing fans will never accept is where football is going.
wenger would rather finish third then win the fa cup simple as.
fa cup winners get 2m quid
we get 25m or so from being in champs league semi!
25m if we qualify
by being third we get in automatically!
4th difficult qualifier next year.....

so wenger would rather have won last night then beat chelsea!
strange way of looking at it and yep it pisses us all off cos we dont like chelsea!
but he wasnt goign to risk gettign arshavin or song injured on that **** pitch in a competition for most managers that is fast becoming the new carling cup..
sad i know but thats football these days

sabret00the

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid958992159?bctid=20390588001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 0390588001</a>

dbig

Comedy moment from the match where Torres kicks the ball into his own face and runs into Tweety. Can't post the gif here so I'll post the link to the thread at redcafe.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redcafe.net/f7/torres-kicking-himself-face-244962/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.redcafe.net/f7/torres-kickin ... ce-244962/</a>

Zico

Established Member
Just watched the game again without all the tension and drama of seeing it for the first time:

1) The first five goals all belong in a manual of comical errors. So bad on both sides.
2) The last two Liverpool games are not necessarily defensive errors, but they show poor coverage of defenders. Torres should have been closed down for his shot (and Fabianski needs to work on his hand strength cos balls are going right through his palms); while the final Benayoun goal is down to poor marking in our box. There were 3 unattended Pool players in our 6 yard box.
3) The Arshavin fast break is the only goal that does not show signs of defensive ineptitude. Liverpool were all high up because they had to go for the win, so that was a tactical misjudgment more than anything.
4) The game was open, but that does not excuse how vulnerable we were on both flanks and right in front of defense. In addition to needing a real DCM, Wenger needs to take a class on coaching team defending. There is no coordination whatsoever. We look like 5th graders at a lunch time kick-around.
5) Torres is a devastating finisher. As much as I love RVP and Adebayor, there is an enormous gulf in class.
6) Arshavin is of the same caliber as the Spaniard. On this uninspired team, you just have to admire his workrate. This is a guy who whipped down the field faster than Theo. Last week when Adebayor was mucking about on the counter attack, Arshavin sprinted all the way down the field to mop up and get a goal. There is a real desire and ability there that will endear him to the fans.

LeTallec

i think on reflection we are seriously caught up between a rock and a hard place.. Liverpool this season have turned especially the second half as an exciting attacking team which potential to further improve but we seem to have thrown tactics to one side.. We should have bored our way to win after taking a 2-1 and probably would have had it not been for this crazy belief which seems to have come into rafas head that goal difference could be vital..conversely if we had started the season like this and not signed Robbie Keane we could have been a good few points clear.. anyway ifs and buts mean **** all in real life..I hope Arsenal win all games against mancs and chavski..Any chance of Silvestre not playing and Clichy being back... How we have cocked up this season I will never know.. I guess the only positive this season can be Rafa signing a new contract..

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Did anyone else want to punch the TV when Gerrard claimed Arshavin's first goal was offside even when they drew a line across the bloody pitch to show it wasn't? And then he had the audacity to say he couldn't believe the linesman didn't give it when he was in front of the kop!!

I love the way Gerrard plays, he's world class. Unfortunately he's also a world class prick.

longrufus

Established Member
quincy42 said:
Just watched the game again without all the tension and drama of seeing it for the first time:

1) The first five goals all belong in a manual of comical errors. So bad on both sides.
2) The last two Liverpool games are not necessarily defensive errors, but they show poor coverage of defenders. Torres should have been closed down for his shot (and Fabianski needs to work on his hand strength cause balls are going right through his palms); while the final Benayoun goal is down to poor marking in our box. There were 3 unattended Pool players in our 6 yard box.
I actually thought every goal last night was the result of defensive areas.

The crisp packet hand was terrible, if you get down to a ball and get a full hand on it, you must save it.

The last Liverpool goal was horrible to conceade, firstly why on earth are we so deep, its just inviting pressure. Secondly, what on earth is Diaby doing standing on the edge of the area when 2 Liverpool players are on the penalty spot waiting on the ball to drop, pathetic.

longrufus

Established Member
Stevo the Villan said:
Did anyone else want to punch the TV when Gerrard claimed Arshavin's first goal was offside even when they drew a line across the bloody pitch to show it wasn't? And then he had the audacity to say he couldn't believe the linesman didn't give it when he was in front of the kop!!

I love the way Gerrard plays, he's world class. Unfortunately he's also a world class prick.
Yea, completely pathetic.

alonso14

Established Member
Stevo the Villan said:

at the end of the day he is a fan and he is talking during a game that could shape his teams championship challenge, i am not sure you should read that much into his objectivity last night to be honest......

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.
When you read some books they are fantastic, the writer touches something in you that you know you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life.
If you are living like an animal, what is the point of living? What makes daily life interesting is that we try to transform it to something that is close to art. And football is like that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom