• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL:Liverpool v Arsenal|Tuesday, April 21, 2009@2000

alonso14

Established Member
General said:
I wouldn't call Henry poor in the air. It just wasn't major part of his game similar to Torres. I'm sure you'd remember him putting away a few headers including the one against United two seasons ago. They are both adequate in the air and I doubt Torres has scored a significant number of headers in the PL. I stand corrected if this is the case but I'm certain it isn't. I mean last night's header was pretty much a free header. You'd expect most decent strikers to put that away. The James Beatties of this world have planted better headers.

a free header? it was a fantastic header.....the cross had no pace on it..he had to get the pace and place it....it was a brilliant header

he has scored 5 league goals out of 12 with his head this season

he is a brilliant header of the ball....

Jkreffer

Established Member
Credit where it is due boys, it was a fantastic header. Wonderful spring and had to generate all the power himself.

alonso14

Established Member
he has scored 13 goals this season, sorry not 12

he has only played 20 games because of injury and he has just Ronaldo and Anelka above him in the scoring charts in the Premier League and Gerrard on the same amount...Gerrard and Ronaldo take pens....

he is wonderful

True Gooner

Established Member
Adebayor's scored more goals with his head (if my memory serves me well) and has a better goal per game conversion ratio.

Not saying that Adebayor's better, but he can keep up with Torres.

oh and Adebayor was better than Torres last season.

General

Established Member
alonso14 said:
General said:
I wouldn't call Henry poor in the air. It just wasn't major part of his game similar to Torres. I'm sure you'd remember him putting away a few headers including the one against United two seasons ago. They are both adequate in the air and I doubt Torres has scored a significant number of headers in the PL. I stand corrected if this is the case but I'm certain it isn't. I mean last night's header was pretty much a free header. You'd expect most decent strikers to put that away. The James Beatties of this world have planted better headers.

a free header? it was a fantastic header.....the cross had no pace on it..he had to get the pace and place it....it was a brilliant header

Would you know the meaning of a free header?

Tim Cahill>Adebayor>James Beattie>Torres as far as heading skills are concerned.

I'd be pissed off if Henry didn't put away that header. Torres was hardly reinventing the wheel there

alonso14

Established Member
General said:
alonso14 said:
General said:

Would you know the meaning of a free header?

yes....do you understand how difficult that header was?

go and look up his goal v Blackburn then.......marked by Christopher Samba...thats 6'6 Chris Samba....

I will say it again....Fernando Torres is a BRILLIANT header of a football.....both in the box and in open play..he gets so many flick on's against taller defenders because his timing is first class......

alonso14

Established Member
True Gooner said:
Adebayor's scored more goals with his head (if my memory serves me well) and has a better goal per game conversion ratio.

oh and Adebayor was better than Torres last season.[/quote

again....i wont swap you

it was Torres 1st season in the premier league......

AFCG7

Established Member
It was a brilliant header. Perfectly timed , placed and with power in the bottom corner.
I am sure however , if we had a CB that wasnt sleeping he wouldnt have got all those things right , and probably wouldnt have scored.

alonso14

Established Member
AFCG7 said:
It was a brilliant header. Perfectly timed , placed and with power in the bottom corner.
I am sure however , if we had a CB that wasnt sleeping he wouldnt have got all those things right , and probably wouldnt have scored.

probably not but you cant dismiss that goal as "well it was a free header"

he still had loads to do

AFCG7

Established Member
I dont see why anyone can say Torres isnt good in the air. To be honest among the strikers in the league he is one of the best aerially. Why deny it? Some may not like him , but its hard to ignore his prowess with headers.

True Gooner

Established Member
alonso14 said:
True Gooner said:

oh and Adebayor was better than Torres last season.

again....i wont swap you

it was Torres 1st season in the premier league......

Noy saying you would nor was I having a go. I just said that Torres was the best striker in the league on the previous page.

I'm just saying that our strikers can keep up with Torres, at least in terms of end product.

AFCG7

Established Member
By the way , alonso14 i am backing you when it comes to his heading ability , but my point on the one he scored against us still stands. :)

General

Established Member
AFCG7 said:

Hence free header, a concept Alonso seems to be struggling with. Torres is overrated. Deny him space and he will proceed to dive his way out of trouble.

alonso14

Established Member
General said:
AFCG7 said:

Hence free header, a concept Alonso seems to be struggling with. Torres is overrated. Deny him space and he will proceed to dive his way out of trouble.

of course he is........

hence why he has scored 37 goals in 53 league games

its just so easy to stop him

alonso14

Established Member
they already have if you believe the rumours but I cant see him playing for another Spanish club other than the one he loves

I am not saying he will stay with us forever, but if the rumours are right he is going to sign an extension in the summer.....i think he will be at Anfield for at least three more seasons then who knows....he has always said he would love to play in Italy....

he seems a very homeley kind of guy and he feels at home with Liverpool.....i dont think he is going anywhere soon

outlaw_member

Established Member
General said:
Tim Cahill>Adebayor>James Beattie>Torres as far as heading skills are concerned.

Atleast that is a fairer assessment, than claiming that he is no more competent aerially than Henry. :wink:

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
alonso14 said:
they already have if you believe the rumours but I cant see him playing for another Spanish club other than the one he loves

I am not saying he will stay with us forever, but if the rumours are right he is going to sign an extension in the summer.....i think he will be at Anfield for at least three more seasons then who knows....he has always said he would love to play in Italy....

he seems a very homeley kind of guy and he feels at home with Liverpool.....i dont think he is going anywhere soon

Yeah, he'd be mad to leave. He was half the striker he is now before he arrived at Liverpool - a great talent, but he didn't really score any goals...Liverpool and Torres is a good fit.

Arsenal Quotes

Robert Pirès was a fabulous player, world-class, and for a few years, before his injury, he was unquestionably the best left-midfielder in the world by far. He had incredible technique, he was smart, a finisher. He was a killer with a smile, the gentlest man in the world who suddenly drive the ball exactly where it was needed.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom