• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

European Super League

Are you in favour of the European Super League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I understand that Super league wouldn't replace EPL, but UEFA competitions.
Owners of all clubs want to play competitions where there is more money.
Kroenke is not exception in this matter.

Personally, I don't see difference between UEFA competitions and Super league.
UEFA is run by corrupted bureaucrats, Super league would be run by club bureaucrats.
Hence, less bureaucracy in Super league.

In the end, I don't care whether it is called Super league or Champions league.
And I don't care who runs it.
So you are happy with people having links to clubs running it?🤔

At least UEFA has a some kind of independence.

Thing about the super league nobody wants to get 'left behind' and I understand that but it would need to be done right to get everybody on board. Without all the major clubs it's a non starter. You can't have English, German & French clubs sticking with UEFA while some Spanish & Italian clubs try to make it happen.
It just looks like it's basically Real, Barca & Juve trying to get more money at the moment.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I understand that Super league wouldn't replace EPL, but UEFA competitions.
Owners of all clubs want to play competitions where there is more money.
Kroenke is not exception in this matter.

Personally, I don't see difference between UEFA competitions and Super league.
UEFA is run by corrupted bureaucrats, Super league would be run by club bureaucrats.
Hence, less bureaucracy in Super league.

In the end, I don't care whether it is called Super league or Champions league.
And I don't care who runs it.
The difference is the protection elite clubs will have and how hard it will be for clubs like red star Belgrade or Celtic to play in the top level super league. If super league existed today and Girona wins la liga they qualify to the 3rd level super league. While Real can finish 15th in la liga and still hold the top level la liga.

From the beginning the 16 teams in super league the couldn’t be relegated. Now only 2 can. So technically teams like real, Barca etc etc can finish 10th 10 season in row in their league. As long as they not 2 worst teams in the 16 teams they stay eating at the top. It’s basically a way for elite teams to protect the top income and make performance less dependent on income

Arsenal4life14

Every English club wants it and even though the design of super league is bad right now. Something has to change in football. You can’t have the PL growing and grown and swallow rest of Europe. When Bournemouth can blow away Milan and Dortmund financially something is wrong
I think most of the top English clubs probably would want it if there wasn't any backlash over it. But most of the PL clubs don't really need the Super League, if anything the Super League needs the English clubs more.

The problem UEFA have is most of income in football is from fans and sponsored related income and the PL is by far the most watched league, like it's not even close in terms of numbers you're probably talking 3 times as many people watch the PL compared to La Liga who are second on the list, This is the main reason why the PL is so far ahead now and well you can't exactly tell fans what football league to watch so unless something drastic happens then the PL will just get stronger, But what can really be done to stop it? People like the PL and aslong as it's the most popular league it will carry on being the top league.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

But what can really be done to stop it? People like the PL and aslong as it's the most popular league it will carry on being the top league.
If they can 'stop the boats' - you'd think they'd put in an effort to stop weakening one of the biggest success stories Britain has.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Are Real and Barce still going to play the CL?

It will be pretty poor having the CL without them and likewise their comp won't mean a whole lot without the PL and Bayern and Dortmund.

I also turned off the format of the ESL. It just sounds a bit ****. A group stage of tier 1 to tier 3 and then upper placed teams in tier 1 and 2 and 3 all have a play off. The tier 2 and 3 teams will get battered silly.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I think most of the top English clubs probably would want it if there wasn't any backlash over it. But most of the PL clubs don't really need the Super League, if anything the Super League needs the English clubs more.

The problem UEFA have is most of income in football is from fans and sponsored related income and the PL is by far the most watched league, like it's not even close in terms of numbers you're probably talking 3 times as many people watch the PL compared to La Liga who are second on the list, This is the main reason why the PL is so far ahead now and well you can't exactly tell fans what football league to watch so unless something drastic happens then the PL will just get stronger, But what can really be done to stop it? People like the PL and aslong as it's the most popular league it will carry on being the top league.
But if rest of Europe agrees you really think English clubs will say we just happy playing each other. The big clubs already tried to join at first attempt when it was rushed. As Arsenal statement said the first time we did not want to be left behind that’s why we agreed to join. Word is the super league will pay 3 times more to clubs. It’s only legality that’s stopping the se clubs right now.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
But if rest of Europe agrees you really think English clubs will say we just happy playing each other. The big clubs already tried to join at first attempt when it was rushed. As Arsenal statement said the first time we did not want to be left behind that’s why we agreed to join. Word is the super league will pay 3 times more to clubs. It’s only legality that’s stopping the se clubs right now.

The PL is still the biggest money maker and the ESL won't change that. PL teams staying out keeps the PL exclusivity.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

The PL is still the biggest money maker and the ESL won't change that. PL teams staying out keeps the PL exclusivity.
ThecPL teams want to join. Hence why the other teams are pushing for the government to make laws. Super league will happen once they find a satisfactory formula and we will love it. Just like we love the PL who was a breakaway league and the current format of CL which people were against at one point. Things don’t stay forever the same

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
ThecPL teams want to join. Hence why the other teams are pushing for the government to make laws. Super league will happen once they find a satisfactory formula and we will love it. Just like we love the PL who was a breakaway league and the current format of CL which people were against at one point. Things don’t stay forever the same

The reason why the PL is the richest league though is largely because of British TV money. The ESL can't get British TV money without English clubs. The English clubs shouldn't join without being the powerbrokers of the ESL league. No way should Barce, Real and Juve have control of the league.

The ESL is currently not an attractive comp. It doesn't have PL or German clubs. That devalues it massively. Not only that what prize money can it offer when it's free to air?

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

The reason why the PL is the richest league though is largely because of British TV money. The ESL can't get British TV money without English clubs. The English clubs shouldn't join without being the powerbrokers of the ESL league. No way should Barce, Real and Juve have control of the league.

The ESL is currently not an attractive comp. It doesn't have PL or German clubs. That devalues it massively. Not only that what prize money can it offer when it's free to air?
Yes it’s being worked on. My point is it will happen once they find satisfactory distribution of money and way to make other clubs qualify. This is about money and big clubs want more control of the money and not be under Uefa. English clubs share the same view of wanting uefa out of the way. Right now they waiting and see who comes on top. Offcourse if uefa wins they will say they supported it always.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Why strengthen your competition abroad? The EPL need to stop being losers and cut out the middle men and get rid of the 3pm blackout for the uk!! EPL TV subscription is the way forward.

Bucephalus

For me, the Spanish and English clubs have divergent interests.

Real, Barca (and to a lesser extent, Atleti) aren't worried about qualifying for CL, that's pretty much guaranteed. They'd like an ESL to replace the CL because it would be smaller in terms of teams, so whether the top flight European competition manages to bring in more money based on more games/novelty/whatever or not, it certainly wouldn't bring in less, and the pie is being divided up amongst fewer clubs.

England has seven clubs who started this season with realistic CL qualifications. Most years, there's at least five. Someone (us recently) is at risk of missing out. So you can see the allure to owners of a closed shop, even if fans hate it. Trouble is, someone (probably multiple someones) out of Arsenal, United, Chelsea, Sp**s, Newcastle, is going to get left behind in a 16 team ESL. Even the revised two-up/two-down proposal would lead to clubs stuck behind a promotion bottleneck that's a far higher hurdle than finishing fourth in the PL.

You can fix the English concerns about who gets left behind with a bigger top tier of the ESL, with more space for English clubs. But then that doesn't fix the Spanish concern of getting a bigger slice of the pie.

Arsenal Quotes

Right from his very first match, when Patrick Vieira was as yet unknown to the English public, he showed just how talented he was. No one disputed his ability, and he gave me the credibility and the hold over the club that I needed to take it in the direction I wanted. He and Emmanuel Petit became a duo that would remain forever etched in the memories of Arsenal fans.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom