• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Everton vs Arsenal, Saturday, 29th December 17:15

Rohit

Established Member
evertonarsenalpr6.png

One of the most difficult away fixtures in my opinion. This following a disappointing result at Fratton Park and a change of hands of the lead and this tie now is almost a must win. We didn't lose the title last night nor will we lose it at Goodison but its all about momentum and if we lose any more ground on Man Utd. we could fall apart rather quickly although this team has shown a lot of character and mental strength over the course of this season.

It will be interesting to see how the team reacts to loosing the Premiership lead. Whilst we were at the top, it was easy for the players to be composed and relaxed, to be patient and not get too frustrated if things were not going for us in a particular game, if we conceeded first or if we hadn't scored in the first half or till the hour mark. I guess it will all change now. Going into a game knowing Man Utd. have won will be tougher than what it was yesterday, there will be more pressure. I won't be surprised if the fear of falling further behind causes the players to lose their cool, to get frustrated, to get impatient.

So the onus is on us now and i am glad its this way as i'd love to see a more positive Arsenal. Enough has already been said about the 4-5-1 and the 4-4-2. Whatever formation Wenger decides to use, we need to be more ruthless and gun for goal right away, we need to take the game by the scruff of the neck and as much as i want to avoid the debate here, it is easier whilst playing a 4-4-2.

Everton is a good team and plays some good football they have many players who will cause us a lot of trouble. Yakubu has posed problems for Toure in the past and Andy Johnson's work ethic and intelligent movement always makes him a handful. Its set up very well. I really like Arteta, a very intelligent player and can put in a good ball for Johnson and/or Yakubu. They must be tired but i am certain there won't be any letdown in effort, they'll run hard for 90 minutes, get in our faces and close any space present and close it down fast. We are better equipped to deal with it though this season.

Its about how well we play, a 4-4-2 please Arsène, and i hope we can get after them and silence the crowd early on.

Rohit

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
I wouldn't, unless the Mancs drop points at WHU beforehand.

Either ways i won't be happy with a point, we are still in all four competitions and although the fixtures in January might ease of a little they'll start coming thick and fast from Feb. We can't afford to lose too much ground on Utd. now, they are a good team and barring injuries to their main players it'll be hard to recover a big deficit later on.

stuart

Established Member
We will scrape a win and all will be good in the world again

Bentner to partner Adebayor up top.

jay-d

Established Member
This is a fixture I think we will lose. But after we'll go on a great run again.

dutchMasta

With the players we have, we can go 4-5-1 and win it. We just need Cesc, Hleb and Ade to play well! But I'd still prefer 4-4-2. Seems like RVP won't play. I honestly wouldn't mind Bendtner with Ade up front, Hleb and Rosicky on the wings, and the usual. Senderos for Gallas if he's injured, possibly even Song if I'm feeling optimistic.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Rohit said:
clockwork orange said:

Either ways i won't be happy with a point, we are still in all four competitions and although the fixtures in January might ease of a little they'll start coming thick and fast from Feb. We can't afford to lose too much ground on Utd. now, they are a good team and barring injuries to their main players it'll be hard to recover a big deficit later on.
How can we lose ground if we draw & the Mancs drop points too (means they either draw or lose)?

If you would say we would waste a chance to regain the lead I'm with you, otherwise I don't get it.

----

By the way: Fran Merida set for Real Sociedad loan

https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopi ... start=1620

awooga83

Established Member
Would feel this is our hardest fixture outside the obvious ones. Need to really win it but Everton have been very good this season and we are in a bad run of form so a draw isn't really out of the question and I probably wouldn't be overly disappointed with it depending how our performance is in the day.

stiiphunn

Established Member
It's going to be a tough game... I'd like a win but a draw wouldn't be a bad result...

Hopefully the weather won't be as bad as last season.

gunnerGH

Established Member
Everton were good again yesterday. Could go either way.....

We are the better team but they have home advantage so you could say it is even.

Draw seems the most likely result but a win could swing either way...

Dragon181

This is going to be an important game because of the disappointment against Pompey. I always said that Pompey was going to be a hard game, and I guess I was right. I prefer to be wrong at times like these, but what can you do?

Everton are a very good team. They were unlucky to lose to ManU on a late (deserved) penalty because of Pienaar, who had an otherwise good game, and could have kept the tie. Their back line is resilient, Cahill and Yakubu have been in pretty good form, and they score a whole lot of goals (34 so far this season; we have 36, like ManU). At the very least, they won't be quite as shy going forward as Harry's boys. So it won't be as stifling in midfield as it was yesterday. Still, if it's going to be a shoot-out, I wonder how many goals we have in us. It's a worrying game.

My pre-injury news line-up

--------------------Almunia----------------------
--Sagna--Toure--Gallas/Song--Clichy--
--Hleb--Fabregas--Flamini--Rosicky---
----------Adebayor--Van Persie-------------

I hope that Gallas isn't injured, but I fear that he is, and after Song's display at the CC, he'll probably be picked in front of Senderos. I hope RVP's groin injury is nothing, so he can play at the game and we can forget about this 4-5-1 BS. If not, I expect Hleb to be behind Ade, with Eboue back on the right a la 4-5-1. We really shouldn't be doing this against non-elite European teams.

Here's hoping that good weekend results make up for how crappy a day I've been having (the day after Christmas, no less).

JazzG

Established Member
A draw is no good to us because the Mancs will beat West Ham, we simply have to beat Everton.

Wenger needs to change this system, enough is enough and we just can't afford to keep be so cautious in our approach. Bendtner deserves a start and I hope Wenger shows a bit of bottle and stop being so stubborn with his approach here. Problem is he is stubborn so I'm expecting another 4-5-1 formation.

If anything Everton will come at us and not just sit back so this might play into our hands. We need to take advantage of it and win.

True Gooner

Established Member
Win would be nice but a draw wouldnt be so bad, if you look at the form Everton are in. We will have to be at our best though. Not a half hearted performance like yesterday..

Forget the formation, I want to see a bit more urgency from our players

americanarf

Established Member
How about show these players the 7-0 thumping we handed Everton a couple of seasons ago and just ask them to go do better ... provided it ain't 4-5-1 again!

Rohit

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
Rohit said:
clockwork orange said:

How can we lose ground if we draw & the Mancs drop points too (means they either draw or lose)?

If you would say we would waste a chance to regain the lead I'm with you, otherwise I don't get it.

My bad, only considered the possibilty of us loosing and them drawing like a fool. Iits true though, don't want to waste a chance to regain the lead.

That said i can't see Man Utd. dropping points at home against Wes Ham.

Arsenal Quotes

A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom