• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FA | Arsenal vs Blackburn | 16/02/2013 | 15:00 | Player |

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpt49

Established Member
I firmly believe that the core of the club and the direction we are heading in is the right way.
I'm not sure about this. With Kroenke as our major shareholder I don't feel he is interested in anything more than making a profit. Consequently he is not going to give Wenger the money to buy the players we desperately need.
I full understand why fans are pissed like hell but the invective that is spewed regards players, manager, BOD, club seems just childish, ignorant (at times) and tiring to me.
I would agree some of the abuse towards Wenger and the players is over the top but football is a passionate game and, if it wasn't, there wouldn't be places like this to discuss what is happening.
Could another manager do a better job, maybe, maybe not. However, the mere fact that we haven't won a TROPHY for 8 years doesn't turn me into a screaming ball of rage and hate.
I agree that it is unlikely that another manager could do a better job, certainly not with the constraints Wenger has.
Our board keep coming out with statements about us being one of the richest clubs in the world and being able to compete with other top clubs. These are just platitudes and lies, and to say that is annoying and frustrating is an understatement.
However, at the core of it I fully believe that the club is in a stronger position than at any time in it's recent history.
If we don't get in the top four and are not in the CL next season we will actually be in the weakest positions we have been in recently.
We are having trouble attracting top players as it is, in fact we can't even keep hold of our best players.
Not being in the CL is going to put us into the weakest position we have been for ages.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Cruisio said:
Thing is, when the dust is settled, I don't see too many people effing and blinding, I see people saying exactly the same thing as they have done for ages. Yeah, immediately after a bad result you do get the odd "c**ts" thrown in there, but on the whole I think most people are talking about Wenger leaving and how it may be better for us in a pretty calm way

Also, you can't compare us to Newcastle, or the majority of most teams in the league. We're Arsenal, the 3rd biggest club in the country due to our history and what we've WON in that history, not because of our league places, not for our stadium, not for the players we've had, but for what we've actually WON. We're about to go into a time where we've been without a trophy for the longest time since I believe something like 1935. That for a club like ours, is unacceptable, for other clubs, not so much, but I don't support or care about other clubs

I can see what we're trying to do, I think everyone can see and accept we're trying to build for the future, but so many things are happening in the present, that can be dealt with right now with no harm to our future, which are not being done and are harming us in the process. Poor results against far less talented opposition (something which is become a far too frequent occurrence) have nothing to do with what we're trying to build for the future

I agree with this, I've always supported Wenger, until this season. Now I look back at poor performances against; Swansea, QPR, Blackburn, Bradford and more, and the mind-boggling team selections and faith shown in very poor players, and I have to lay the blame on the manager. The board may be the reason we dont buy the players to replace those we have sold but not motivating the current players on a regular basis and persisting with weak players is very much down to Wenger.

and1rew

dpt49 said:
I'm not sure about this. With Kroenke as our major shareholder I don't feel he is interested in anything more than making a profit. Consequently he is not going to give Wenger the money to buy the players we desperately need.

I agree that it is unlikely that another manager could do a better job, certainly not with the constraints Wenger has.
Our board keep coming out with statements about us being one of the richest clubs in the world and being able to compete with other top clubs. These are just platitudes and lies, and to say that is annoying and frustrating is an understatement.

Having an owner who is not a supporter doesn't preclude you from competing for titles but having a manager who says I will accept it if offered coming 2nd for the next 20 years does, as does having a manager who believes 4th is a trophy.

The board even went as far as to be explicit and say the deals were front-loaded and the manager would have money in January but he still only bought because Gibbs got injured. What does that tell you? There is no realistic situation in which it makes sense that he is covering for the board. At best he is being handsomely paid to be implicit with this approach or at worst he himself is a huge proponent. Right now the worst I can accuse the board of is being too relaxed with Wenger but you would expect a man of his experience and principles to be able to motivate himself.

Mastadon

Established Member
Whatever else has happened in the past, surely being knocked out of both domestic cups by lower league teams in the same season marks a new low? Its becoming harder and harder to support the notion that Wenger remains the best man for the job, despite the "constraints" of a budget of min 50 mil.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
One issue that certainly needs addressing is why it takes so long for the side to get into it's stride. Yesterday I could understand what with several changes in key attacking areas. It takes time to find fluency in the attacking 1/3rd. However, yesterday wasn't an isolated incident and one must query why we don't go for the jugular early in the game.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
@Jury

My comment wasn't aimed at you, but more at the result of the game. I've been busy over the weekend, hence the shock now.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Cruisio said:
Thing is, when the dust is settled, I don't see too many people effing and blinding, I see people saying exactly the same thing as they have done for ages. Yeah, immediately after a bad result you do get the odd "c**ts" thrown in there, but on the whole I think most people are talking about Wenger leaving and how it may be better for us in a pretty calm way

Also, you can't compare us to Newcastle, or the majority of most teams in the league. We're Arsenal, the 3rd biggest club in the country due to our history and what we've WON in that history, not because of our league places, not for our stadium, not for the players we've had, but for what we've actually WON. We're about to go into a time where we've been without a trophy for the longest time since I believe something like 1935. That for a club like ours, is unacceptable, for other clubs, not so much, but I don't support or care about other clubs

I can see what we're trying to do, I think everyone can see and accept we're trying to build for the future, but so many things are happening in the present, that can be dealt with right now with no harm to our future, which are not being done and are harming us in the process. Poor results against far less talented opposition (something which is become a far too frequent occurrence) have nothing to do with what we're trying to build for the future and neither does year after year downscaling our expectations to the point where if we win nothing what so ever, a 4th place finish is still seen as some sort of accomplishment as it allows us to qualify for a competition that we're never going to win anyway

Who says we are never going to win the CL. You, not me. How can you predict the future. I don't think we ever did anything of note in the European Cup/CL until recently. Our record in the CL is even better now than when we were winning trophies under Wenger.

The unfortunate thing (from a fans perspective) is that for a team at the top of the table achieving CL qualification does mean more (than an FA Cup or a League Cup) as it's more $$ and they can hopefully attract better players to the club.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Well the draw has been made and if we have beaten blackburn, we will face millwall at millwall thx to make me feel more sad Arsenal.

dyeruz

Established Member
redanddread said:
One issue that certainly needs addressing is why it takes so long for the side to get into it's stride. Yesterday I could understand what with several changes in key attacking areas. It takes time to find fluency in the attacking 1/3rd. However, yesterday wasn't an isolated incident and one must query why we don't go for the jugular early in the game.
That's not a mystery. We start off slow because we pass slow. Building slowly from defense, pass it around midfield a little pass it back to defence, absolutely no wrong with that, but the tempo and urgency has to be much quicker, we only seem to raise that once we go behind, surely Wenger or Bould from the outset should be off the bench urging the team to quicken the pace?

Stillmatic

kopzilla said:
Don't want to wind anyone up but its better we lost now. It would have saved a heart rending inevitable loss in the final/semi final.

But it wasn't inevitable, do you really think the likes of Gervinho would have played in the semi final/final? Not a chance!

dyeruz

Established Member
Stillmatic said:
kopzilla said:
Don't want to wind anyone up but its better we lost now. It would have saved a heart rending inevitable loss in the final/semi final.

But it wasn't inevitable, do you really think the likes of Gervinho would have played in the semi final/final? Not a chance!
Most likely inevitable, we played a strong side against Bradford and lost. We've played the top three and lost all the games bar the City draw. We all know come the big games we fold. Don't really see us bucking the trend any time soon.

Cruisio

Established Member
redanddread said:
Cruisio said:

I can see what we're trying to do, I think everyone can see and accept we're trying to build for the future, but so many things are happening in the present, that can be dealt with right now with no harm to our future, which are not being done and are harming us in the process. Poor results against far less talented opposition (something which is become a far too frequent occurrence) have nothing to do with what we're trying to build for the future and neither does year after year downscaling our expectations to the point where if we win nothing what so ever, a 4th place finish is still seen as some sort of accomplishment as it allows us to qualify for a competition that we're never going to win anyway

Who says we are never going to win the CL. You, not me. How can you predict the future. I don't think we ever did anything of note in the European Cup/CL until recently. Our record in the CL is even better now than when we were winning trophies under Wenger.

The unfortunate thing (from a fans perspective) is that for a team at the top of the table achieving CL qualification does mean more (than an FA Cup or a League Cup) as it's more $$ and they can hopefully attract better players to the club.

Firstly, it's possible to do both, they aren't completely separate from each other, it's not Champions League Qualification or Domestic Cups. That's what fans are angry about, that after we've managed to spectacularly mess things up for ourselves we are told to celebrate 4th because it's "something". Back in 2004 we won the league, went unbeaten, but people at the club were discussing that we actually should have won more that season. Yes, the game has changed, yes it's not as easy as it was and yes 2004 was quite a long time ago now, but to go from that attitude to "winning nothing is ok, as long we do well enough to qualify for a competition we're never likely to win" is what annoys people. In regards to it generating more money to attract better players, aren't the people defending Wenger the ones saying we don't have enough money to build a better squad than we have? So what is it adding to us exactly?

In regards to that, we're not going to win the Champions League. I admire your openness in believing thats possible, I really do and you're right, theres no possible way I could know for sure, but I just don't see it happening

say yes

forum master baiter
Finally made it on here after that result..

Anyway, the game in itself wasn't that bad. Have no problem with the team selection given our squad and upcoming features. We were clearly the superior side and should have won quite comfortably.

Only players who were really poor individually were Gervinho (surprise surprise) and Giroud.

Stillmatic

dyeruz said:
Most likely inevitable, we played a strong side against Bradford and lost. We've played the top three and lost all the games bar the City draw. We all know come the big games we fold. Don't really see us bucking the trend any time soon.

That's because Gervinho played against Bradford as well, upfront lol...it turned out as I expected. You can't compare cup games with league, we were down to 10 men against City and still have to play United again. We beat City and Chelsea last season. I'm almost certain we would have won the Carling Cup final if Fabregas and Walcott were not injured.

jerome2158

Established Member
what's funny is how I don't even see this as a "shock" cup exit simply because it's not a rare occurrence anymore. I mean, we lost to an even weaker team in a different cup this very same season. It can only be a shock if absolutely no one expects it.

a_fourteen

Established Member
This was a simple case of not picking the right playing eleven. Lets not make it anything more. By not playing cazorla and wilshere we were not creating enough chances. Add to that gervinho and AOC could not tuck away the few created. In my opinion if wenger wanted to rest cazorla and wilshere he should've played Ramsey instead of rosicky and at least one of Walcott or Podolski. Oh well.

Jbruin

Established Member
jerome2158 said:
what's funny is how I don't even see this as a "shock" cup exit simply because it's not a rare occurrence anymore. I mean, we lost to an even weaker team in a different cup this very same season. It can only be a shock if absolutely no one expects it.
3 times in 16 years, I'd say it's a pretty rare occurrence.

Anzac

Established Member
redanddread said:

Depends on your definition/context used regarding the term 'record'.

IIRC we have only progressed beyond the post Group Stage knock-out round 2x in AW's tenure, with one of those culminating in the CL Final loss.

As such our 'record' is perhaps akin to our 'consistency' in retaining top4/CL,
and we are perhaps as close to winning the CL as we are any other competition = not at all.

As for the 'excuse' re top4 being worth more etc, IMO it's something akin to a strawman argument.
Whilst the statement is factually correct,
if the club wants sustainable increased revenues then they should tell their high priced commercial department to get off the frakking arses and sign more sponsors & aggressively persue commercial revenues.

As a football club our decisions used to be about providing support for the team on the pitch. Even the ideology behind the stadium & the appointment of AW as manager were football related.
Since DD departed the new BoD are all business men & there is no one with a football background from the technical department other than AW.
Since the move it seems our decisions are primarily based on finances rather than football outcomes.
As a result I doubt if either of the decisions re the stadium or AW would be made in today's environment.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
say yes said:
Finally made it on here after that result..

Anyway, the game in itself wasn't that bad. Have no problem with the team selection given our squad and upcoming features. We were clearly the superior side and should have won quite comfortably.

Only players who were really poor individually were Gervinho (surprise surprise) and Giroud.

Agreed, add Ox as well, he was lively etc and made a lot of good runs but his end product was well below par.

mistaT

Established Member
Thing is - you can say the team wasn't poor but was anyone good?!

Never really looked like we were going to score until after they did. Note, I don't consider Gervinho ever likely to score.

There isn't a player that started yesterday that consistently scores. Or in Girouds case scores in big matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have always been the club of the people, the streets. Arsenal was one of the first clubs to really have black players, so it did represent the mass of the UK and how London is. I hope people at the club know that and who are they playing for.

Thierry Henry

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom