• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Loss FA Cup 3rd Round: Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool | Sunday 7th January | KO: 16:30 GMT | BBC One

Status
Not open for further replies.

0_Arsenal-blog.png

Screenshot-20240102-082031.png

lineup.png

Prediction

Arsenal 0-1 Liverpool

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Just finished watching the game. If anything this was a missed opportunity.

I was happy with how we played in most of the first half. Started out very aggressive and played well but just have to make that count. Jorginho’s passing was a pleasant comeback as far as our play goes. But then we started to fall back in to our usual patterns and it’s just so slow and easy to defend against.

Saka had a stinker. Kai and Kiwior aren’t at the required level. Rice is a beast defensively and in helping to win the ball back high up the pitch but he contributes very little to our attack tbh. I even think he’s detrimental to it.

Was really annoyed at Nelson being subbed.

Liverpool subbing on two kids and still running away with it speaks volumes.

Our finishing is abysmal and on the players, but this is not a squad issue.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Yeah I saw it looked weird and should’ve edited maybe.

Our finishing tonight is on the players, mainly Nelson for the first chance and Havertz a couple of times. But the root cause of our overall issue of performance is not a squad one, i.e. we’re not solving it in the transfer market.

I see your point but I do think there's still some individual quality needed in the team in attack for you to become consistently threatening against all teams, regardless of the manager. Sometimes I think it's worth remembering that your starting CF was a squad player for your title rivals, and he's still levels above your 2nd option.

I find it difficult to properly rate the front 3 tbh. Saka is well clear of the other two IMO but Martinelli has looked poor this season and has been inconsistent even at his best, and Jesus is such a flawed but still brilliant player. You just simply don't have the kind of players where you look at the scoresheet when checking the results, see the goal scorers and think "of course he scored".

Problem is, not sure that player is in the market. I really don't think someone like Toney moves the needle much. Upgrade on Havertz and Nketiah as a CF of course but that's hardly an endorsement. Would argue the biggest benefit of getting someone like Toney in is the ability to shift Jesus out left and not rely on Martinelli so much.

blaze_of_glory

Yeah I saw it looked weird and should’ve edited maybe.

Our finishing tonight is on the players, mainly Nelson for the first chance and Havertz a couple of times. But the root cause of our overall issue of performance is not a squad one, i.e. we’re not solving it in the transfer market.

I see your point but I do think there's still some individual quality needed in the team in attack for you to become consistently threatening against all teams, regardless of the manager. Sometimes I think it's worth remembering that your starting CF was a squad player for your title rivals, and he's still levels above your 2nd option.

I find it difficult to properly rate the front 3 tbh. Saka is well clear of the other two IMO but Martinelli has looked poor this season and has been inconsistent even at his best, and Jesus is such a flawed but still brilliant player. You just simply don't have the kind of players where you look at the scoresheet when checking the results, see the goal scorers and think "of course he scored".

Problem is, not sure that player is in the market. I really don't think someone like Toney moves the needle much. Upgrade on Havertz and Nketiah as a CF of course but that's hardly an endorsement. Would argue the biggest benefit of getting someone like Toney in is the ability to shift Jesus out left and not rely on Martinelli so much.
I think you're both right tbh. A natural finisher up front would help a lot, but the other players will still need to contribute goals. Regardless I dont think we're getting anyone significant this window so focus has to b be on the current players/team doing better.

MA08

I’d settle for strong, quick and not afraid to shoot. We sent one away to Monaco without giving him any minutes.
I doubt he was the one. At least as of now he is not showing as a miss(based on current performance). We need to realize the level required to take us forward. That is not by signing Ivan Toney(he can be a back up) or players like that. The killers that we need are already playing in high quality teams. It is very difficult to find one that can take us forward. And that is not going to happen in Jan transfer window

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I was listening to Lawrence Mckenna, the Liverpool fan, who has good takes on football.

He makes a good point about our matches played. Says Arsenal play with a bit of naivety to them, because they want to force the issue with their technical and tactical superior play. Not being able to force matters in our favour, make our players more anxious and we end up not getting the result we want.

Its a good point and I think it serves a good warning message for the rest of our season, in all our games really. I think we need to continue working on our game, but also remember the importance of composure and not panicking in the crucial moments.

This team has what it takes, but it also needs to get its mind right for the psychological fire that will still come this season.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I was listening to Lawrence Mckenna, the Liverpool fan, who has good takes on football.

He makes a good point about our matches played. Says Arsenal play with a bit of naivety to them, because they want to force the issue with their technical and tactical superior play. Not being able to force matters in our favour, make our players more anxious and we end up not getting the result we want.

Its a good point and I think it serves a good warning message for the rest of our season, in all our games really. I think we need to continue working on our game, but also remember the importance of composure and not panicking in the crucial moments.

This team has what it takes, but it also needs to get its mind right for the psychological fire that will still come this season.

But it works? Forcing the issue is what made us dominate them for large parts of the game. What he said is just the usual over-analysing that comes when a good team hits a poor run of form. A few weeks ago Man City didn't have the hunger after doing the treble but the reality is they just had a dip and were struggling with some key players missing.

We've done enough to win a lot of the games in this bad run, the issue being not putting the chances away. The question then is can it be fixed internally or does the squad need something more? The answer is a bit of both.

Maybe that's a simplistic way of looking at it but I think it's pretty obvious what the problem is. It doesn't need a forensic examination.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

sorry, but isn't that's just fancy words for "Arsenal is easily frustrated when they can't finish".
I think we can all agree finishing is our issue ever since Villa match

We lack either a final ball or a player who gets goals out of nothing
(ps : I don't mean a fancy striker like Henry, I mean a guy who scrap goals from rebounds or some weird coincidences - a poacher like Inzhagi).

SA Gunner

sorry, but isn't that's just fancy words for "Arsenal is easily frustrated when they can't finish".
I think we can all agree finishing is our issue ever since Villa match

We lack either a final ball or a player who gets goals out of nothing
(ps : I don't mean a fancy striker like Henry, I mean a guy who scrap goals from rebounds or some weird coincidences - a poacher like Inzhagi).

Cant finish, from the very same group of players that scored 88 league goals last season?

Over 100 goals overall last season?

How do you explain that? Have our forwards gone past their peak? Are they playing through injury?

To your second point, no need to say anything there... with you on a striker, 110%

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

I was happy with how we played in most of the first half. Started out very aggressive and played well but just have to make that count. Jorginho’s passing was a pleasant comeback as far as our play goes. But then we started to fall back in to our usual patterns and it’s just so slow and easy to defend against.

Saka had a stinker. Kai and Kiwior aren’t at the required level. Rice is a beast defensively and in helping to win the ball back high up the pitch but he contributes very little to our attack tbh. I even think he’s detrimental to it.

Wasn’t Kiwior playing LB though. I mean he’s probably not an elite CB but he is a CB, he was bought to back up Gabriel not to play LB.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Cant finish, from the very same group of players that scored 88 goals last season?

How do you explain that? Have our forwards gone past their peak? Are they playing through injury?
I think you missed the part where I wrote since Villa match

How do you explain that?
they are either and/or :
boredom of playing the same games,
tired of playing almost every matches,
being analyzed by opponents to the details,
just in a slump mentally
adjusting to their new teammates movements and passing/running patterns

they are humans, not something we can judge by parameters easily.

SA Gunner

Largely agree Sebastes.

Think the kids subs and "running away with it" doesnt say much really. It was a good day for them where we couldnt score and they could. Klopp himself in his post match hinted at the fact that when we had the ball late in the second half he was really concerned because he didnt want a replay of this game.

Tight margins, we havent been our best in front of goal (and overall against Fulham), but we'll be back for sure.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Largely agree Sebastes.

Think the kids subs and "running away with it" doesnt say much really. It was a good day for them where we couldnt score and they could. Klopp himself in his post match hinted at the fact that when we had the ball late in the second half he was really concerned because he didnt want a replay of this game.

Tight margins, we havent been our best in front of goal (and overall against Fulham), but we'll be back for sure.

I agree in the sense that we have to continue investing in the squad ofc. And it’s not as black and white as I make it sound of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom