• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Barnet vs Arsenal | 15/07/06

f4evo

this doesnt look good for our carling cup hopes, embarassing not being able to score against Barnet

anyway do you think Muamba is already better than Song?
cant believe we spent so much for Song :(

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
its the first match. so forget it. the players thought they were still on a holiday.

haha. this time must make it double. 98 unbeaten!

asajoseph

Established Member
Morning all, was at Underhill yesterday too, and was trying to get online immediately afterwards to post a few of my views about the game, but couldn't get on.

Between then and now I've had a bit of a major drinking and dancing session, so my memories of yesterday may be somewhat jaded, so I'll do my best.

Can't be arsed to run through each of the players and rate them, but a few things I thought would be worth conveying.

Firstly, it was an opportunity to see new signings Joe O'Cearuill and Vincent Van Den Berg. O'Cearuill, who played almost the entire match, didn't look like he knew his arse from his elbow in the first half, although being partnered with Pascal Cygan probably didn't really help - kept getting caught out of position, and looked indecisive when Barnet were attacking. He got much better in the second though, and put in some good, hard challenges, including one brilliant goal-saving one on about 60. The thing that struck me most about him though was that he was actually (apart from his terrible chav haircut) was the fact that he seemed really dirty - considering this was a friendly against a lower league team, some of the tackles he was putting in were simply filthy, and could have been sent off in a competitive match. Hard to tell if they were pre-meditated or just bad timing, but he certainly wasn't afraid of getting physical.

Van Den Berg didn't make a huge impression on me, to be honest, and, after coming on during the second half, seemed to take a while to get involved, but had one or two nice touches, and forced the keeper once into handling the ball outside his area (ref gave nothing, but I suspect that's cos it was a friendly).

A few other notable performances:

The entirety of our central midfield (Flamini, Song and Muamba) looked excellent - Flamini took some responsibility, ran with the ball, and put in some great passes. Song put in some very good challenges, and Muamba too looked very impressive. Larsson, who also played in the middle of the park for a stretch, again really didn't capture my imagination - as I've always said, he looks like a solid player, but nothing at all more than that - I'll be surprised if his Arsenal career lasts much longer.

Ryan Smith, who I was really excited about seeing, really didn't let me down at all - his technique is STILL superb, and he caused all sorts of problems down the left wing, including one gilt-edged one with a superb run and through-pass (can't remember to who, but probably Aliadiere) - shame to see him leave the field at half-time, for Anthony Stokes. Stokes, to me, just doesn't look athletic enough to make it at Arsenal, he's very heavily built, not fat, but he doesn't seem quick on his feet and doesn't have much pace - again, I suspect we'll see the back of him before too long.

Up front, Aliadiere looked superb to me - his finishing wasn't great, although he was good at getting his shot away in difficult positions - possibly down to July rustiness. His movement though, and dribbling from deep was absolutely brilliant, and he was fantastic at getting into good, goalscoring positions. Bendtner though, who I was hyping up to my mate who hasn't heard of him, let me down - he showed one or two nice touches, and played a few good knockdowns, but he wasn't decisive on the ball, and didn't really offer the same threat that Ali, and later Lupoli did. The Wolf, to me, looked very impressive, although I still think he'll suffer because of his size, as he doesn't look like he's yet learned to cope with being so small. On the other hand, he did make some brilliant dribbles with the ball at his feet, and had a couple of chances that he really should have finished - still plenty of time for this youngster, and the talent he has was obvious...

Oh and a word about the Barnet fans - what a bunch of ****ing pikeys.

asajoseph

Established Member
Oh, as an overall performance, I think we were actually ok - defensively we took our time to settle down, but we created 7 or 8 clear cut chances. The only thing missing was our finishing - otherwise, I think we weren't bad.

asajoseph

Established Member
Flamini - Absolutely non-existent. Expected him to at least attempt to get on the ball and create things but I honestly forgot he was on the field.

Amazing how two people can watch the same game and see completely different things... :lol: I'll put that one down to the booze...

asajoseph

Established Member
KingReyes said:
From what I saw, the players that stood out were Ali and Muamba.

Song's passing was shocking, this guy really needs to learn how to pass the ball. Good work rate, good in defense, physical strength but the passing accuracy of a donkey.

On the whole, that wasn't the impression I got (and I'm not really one to stick up for Song if I don't have to) - I remember him playing one dreadful ball straight across our midfield to absolutely nobody but a Barnet player, but otherwise I thought his passing was relatively tidy.

He actually does have quite a nice touch on the ball too, and isn't all that bad when it comes to turning his man - he's a rough diamond, at this stage, and needs a LOT of polishing, but I actually have a bit of faith in Arsène on this one, and think he'll be a good player one day...

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
Yeah but it's Song - two or three misplaced passes in the game and he's a donkey. Idiots.

Aliadiere Arsenal MOTM for me.

choi12911

YuenBiaoFan said:
Yeah but it's Song - two or three misplaced passes in the game and he's a donkey. Idiots.

Do you really need to resort to name-calling?

First of all, nobody said Song was a donkey. Some people felt that he looked a bit uncomfortable on the ball therefore said he needs more composure in his game. I said he looked lost even in reserve matches, because he really did look lost for the first few minutes.

It's very adorable of you to claim that people actually called Song 'a donkey' just because he had a few misplaced passes before finishing with a nice little insult at the end. I don't know why you felt a sudden urge to call people 'idiots', but please think twice before insulting others.

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
And perhaps you should learn to read posts a little better.

The guy has come in for an OBSCENE amount of stick ever since his first team debut.

Most of it has been completely uncalled for and some have said some fairly harsh words about him. What, you don't like me calling others names though? Sticks'n'stones and glasshouses and all that.

N!

choi12911 said:
YuenBiaoFan said:

Do you really need to resort to name-calling?

First of all, nobody said Song was a donkey. Some people felt that he looked a bit uncomfortable on the ball therefore said he needs more composure in his game. I said he looked lost even in reserve matches, because he really did look lost for the first few minutes.

It's very adorable of you to claim that people actually called Song 'a donkey' just because he had a few misplaced passes before finishing with a nice little insult at the end. I don't know why you felt a sudden urge to call people 'idiots', but please think twice before insulting others.

KingReyes said:
From what I saw, the players that stood out were Ali and Muamba.

Song's passing was shocking, this guy really needs to learn how to pass the ball. Good work rate, good in defense, physical strength but the passing accuracy of a donkey.

thats was what he was reffering to i believe

choi12911

YuenBiaoFan said:
And perhaps you should learn to read posts a little better.

The guy has come in for an OBSCENE amount of stick ever since his first team debut.

Most of it has been completely uncalled for and some have said some fairly harsh words about him. What, you don't like me calling others names though? Sticks'n'stones and glasshouses and all that.

Are you telling me that calling other members of the forum 'idiots' is not a big deal and something that people should be allowed to do?

So intead of defending Song with reasons, you will just resort to name-calling of other forum members whenever they express negative opinions about Song? If most of the sticks that Song is getting is uncalled for, wouldn't it be easier for you to defend him everytime other people point fingers at him?

Or perhaps it's easier for you to just insult the others because that's all you do on this forum and you simply have no manners.

choi12911

YuenBiaoFan said:
Yes but the comment was more a general one and not aimed at Mr Reyes especially.

Yeah if that's the case, why do you feel the need to call the people on here idiots just because they criticise Song? Just defend him with your reasons if you have to. Don't call others 'idiots'.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
choi12911 said:
YuenBiaoFan said:
Yes but the comment was more a general one and not aimed at Mr Reyes especially.

Yeah if that's the case, why do you feel the need to call the people on here idiots just because they criticise Song? Just defend him with your reasons if you have to. Don't call others 'idiots'.

Get over it mate.

Go and have a **** or something.

Arsenal Quotes

It is well known the referees are protected very well like the lions in the zoo so we have to live with their decisions

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom