• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Red Bull Salzburg vs Arsenal | 25/07/07

banduan

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Before the start of our unbeaten season in 2003, we lost to Peterbrough 1-0, drew with Barnet 0-0 and drew 1-1 with a Celtic side that Man U thumped 4-0 the week before.

:lol: :lol:

I remember that. Pissed me RIGHT off!

stiiphunn

Established Member
Merida+Denilson said:
ricky1985 said:
For God's sake this place is driving me mad.

No, we didnt play well. So what it was a pre-season friendly.

Before the start of our unbeaten season in 2003, we lost to Peterbrough 1-0, drew with Barnet 0-0 and drew 1-1 with a Celtic side that Man U thumped 4-0 the week before. Reports eminating from those games suggested we were in for a tough season and had little chance of recapturing the Premiership title from Man U.
We all know what happened next. So come on, dont be so down beat.

Sagna looked great at full-back; strong as an ox, good in the air, and aggressive in the tackle. Reminds me of a certain Cameroonian we used to have playing there, only without the ridiculous concentration lapses that he was prone to, and a lot quicker to boot. But most importantly he looks like a winner, its bye-bye Eboue as far as I'm concerned.

Also cant believe the stick Eduardo Da Silva is getting. Are you people blind?
He has fantastic control, great accelaration and overall speed, amazing agility and low-centre of gravity, a sixth sense for taking up threatening positions (RvN style) and he could have scored 4 goals, if he had his match sharpness and fitness.

The even greater thing is he is not just a poacher, he is so much more.
Let me put that another way, he scored 54 goals last season for club and country and he isnt just a player who camps in the eighteen yard box and waits for a chance, ala Pipo Inzaghi.
He is an all-round good footballer, who will contribute for others, and involve himself in play. Now I see why he also had the highest number of assists in the Croatian League last season as well.

And you people are slagging him off because he missed a few chances. The only conclusion you should draw at this stage is that he was in the position to score a goal 4 or 5 times. Impressive to say the least.

Cant wait for the weekend :!: :) :!:

:respect

I completely agree with that mate. I am not going to judge the team until the Amsterdam tournament tbh, because by then we should be up to speed I believe.

Good post ricky.
In fact what's important is being ready for the new season- so even the Amsterdam Tournament doesn't matter imo.
For what it's worth this defeat could even boost us.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Everything ricky1985 wrote.

Personally I hate flawless perseasons, gives you a false sense of security. It 's good Wenger & the players know we're not there yet.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
tbh, i am not going to slate any players for last night performance because preseason friendly is always excusable.

what was worrying is that we didnt take the game lightly, yet we lost it.

also its apparent we still need signings. no doubt about that

Nutsy

Established Member
What else is new? I watched the repeat of this game. And as Asa said, I didn't miss anything. It's just deja vu all over. Missed chances, and failure to create chances.

Hleb impressed me well last night fairly now it's clear that he tends to do his best in the Left. And good Lord,Rosicky got injured again? ay.. Perhaps it was match unfit for him. Hope he gets well soon before the season starts. Eboue was abysmal in Right WIng. SO perhaps Arsène were experimenting last night. Hopefully this sends out the signal to Arsène to buy some one who can work effectively there.

Meh. what else is new.The Fickleness around here amuses me. So I won't change it for the world.

asajoseph

Established Member
YuenBiaoFan said:
WTF? Have people seriously wrote Edu and co off after last night? A preseason game? Only here :lol:

No.

Nobody's written Edu off as far as I can tell.

Just lots of people thinking other people have written Edu off.

:roll:

belgianfan

haha lol so true asa,

I haven't read that many posts that are about edu and besides the ones I read said they liked the look of him

It's like the optimists are trying to blame the negative people on here with that. :D

lewdikris

Established Member
This is one of the most predictable parts of pre-season : as soon as we lose, loads of dumbasses on this forum run around screaming saying the world is over, Wenger should be sacked.

Interestingly, the season that was probably at it's highest was after the 2003 season finished ... we were fairly average in the friendlies (WHICH DON'T MATTER AT ALL) and people went NUTS. 49 games unbeaten later, maybe some of those people realised what happens in pre-season is totally irrelevant to competitive action.

The players mindset, the level of fitness, the competitive pressure: none of these are the same, and none can be faked.

The only relevant point i've seen anywhere about these pre-season friendlies was made on Gunnerblog, where he speculated that it's very likely one more player, a winger, will be coming in because of the unnecessary inclusion of Mark Randall in the tactical training. Wenger does this with youth teamers every year, and pretty much every year he fills the role they're occupying in pre-season with a new guy.

Just be patient and wait.

kel varnsen

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Given Rosicky's fragility, and Hleb & Walcott's inconsistency (at least last year), I'd say that all a backup winger really needs to do is be better than Eboue, Denilson or Diaby (as wide players), which shouldn't be hard.

Of course, I'd prefer a player challenging for a first team spot - but right now, I'd take pretty much anything.

agreed. wenger needs to reevaluate the situation. he has said he will only sign players that will 'help win trophies' or something like that, but we are desperately thin on the wings atm. even an average winger would significantly improve the squad right now and that is worrying.

kel varnsen

Established Member
tactica442 said:
Eboue looked injured his groin in the first half. Strangely, 3 mins later, it's Rosicky got subbed for suspected injury.

even stranger, rosicky apparantly came off because of a groin injury...

kel varnsen

Established Member
YuenBiaoFan said:
WTF? Have people seriously wrote Edu and co off after last night? A preseason game? Only here :lol:

seriously, who is 'writing him off'? i haven't seen a single post slating eduardo's performance yesterday...

Lord Dula

Established Member
asajoseph said:
YuenBiaoFan said:

No.

What do ya mean Edu cant finish, has a poor first touch, is selfish and doesnt fit in with our style?

Well that how I read it anyway ;)

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
asajoseph said:
YuenBiaoFan said:

No.

Ah I see.

[kel]
Well I think he's **** anyway - can't finish, can't score, Baptitsup pt 2 imo.

A waste of money.
[/kel]

scruzgooner

just watched the extended highlights.

meh.

it's so hard to tell.

i did like edu getting on the ball, he just needs to pull the trigger a bit earlier on balls in the box.

i also thought hleb's move, on the left of their box at about the 81st minute, where he had two defenders on him, faked going back up field, turned right around with both defenders having bit, scampered forward four yards and put in a cross...four white shirts in the box, gallas brought it down for eboue, who skied it on the half-volley. hleb left them for dead, and if that had ended in a finish, wow.

big if, though. i look forward to seeing the highlights of the tourney this weekend.

Viper

Established Member
YuenBiaoFan said:
asajoseph said:
YuenBiaoFan said:

No.

Ah I see.

[kel]
Well I think he's s**t anyway - can't finish, can't score, Baptitsup pt 2 imo.

A waste of money.
[/kel]
Everyone knows Kel is fickle......

Don't you remember when Baptista joined the club? He claimed Baptista would do everything Adebayor was supposed to do, and more.

asajoseph

Established Member
Well, I for one thought he was pretty handy, despite the finishing.

SameOldArsenal said:
There were, however, a few positives too - Fabianski's crazy Jens-style charges out of goal, Hleb's improvement, Diaby's brutal tackling and strong dribbling, Eduardo's running and movement into areas that no Arsenal forward has occupied since Ian Wright, and some of Niklas Bendtner's passes and flicks.

I would say that I'm not too bothered about the chances he missed, as we know he knows how to score. But I won't. After all, I said that about Baptista.

kel varnsen

Established Member
Viper said:
YuenBiaoFan said:
asajoseph said:
YuenBiaoFan said:

No.

Ah I see.

[kel]
Well I think he's s**t anyway - can't finish, can't score, Baptitsup pt 2 imo.

A waste of money.
[/kel]
Everyone knows Kel is fickle......

Don't you remember when Baptista joined the club? He claimed Baptista would do everything Adebayor was supposed to do, and more.

i still think baptista is a good player, just not the right player for us, and i don't remember writing the supposed quote from yuenbiuosomthing. either made up or a joke. if you go through the match thread, i actually said eduardo looked like a decent player. i even compared him to reyes in the previous match thread against that turkish side...

HighburyHeroes

RockyRocastle said:
And the second is Eboue on the wing. If this if Wenger's solution to perhaps our biggest deficiency to say I am disappointed in him is an understatement.

If wenger is planning on using eboue on the wings, the worrying this is that he did not look convincing there at all...

i believe the only time eboue should be used on the wing is when we are trailing and the game has lost all pace, then i think eboue should be thrown into the wing as an impact player

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have always been the club of the people, the streets. Arsenal was one of the first clubs to really have black players, so it did represent the mass of the UK and how London is. I hope people at the club know that and who are they playing for.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom