• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It's funny this game of football. He looked destined for a lower league career then somehow appeared to be good enough to start for a top 4 side, looks like he isn't after all.

The Jamie Vardy type stories are rare in football, Coquelin has reverted to the player that wasn't good enough for Arsenal. Makes me wonder what could have been if we actually paired Cazorla with another quality midfielder.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
It's funny this game of football. He looked destined for a lower league career then somehow appeared to be good enough to start for a top 4 side, looks like he isn't after all.

The Jamie Vardy type stories are rare in football, Coquelin has reverted to the player that wasn't good enough for Arsenal. Makes me wonder what could have been if we actually paired Cazorla with another quality midfielder.

We played Xhaka-Santi for a couple of games and we looked brilliant.

For me, Coquelin is in a bit of a catch 22. Because we have a manager who doesn't excel in setting up teams defensively, a player of Coquelin's ilk is tasked with a lot of responsibility to keep us solid. Sadly, ability wise, we're demanding too much from him.

Btw, congrats on being expunged from The List of Taylor. You don't belong there.

Silvinho's ball bag

Would you have said the same straight after Cesc was dropped from Chelsea's squad after our 3-0 win at the start of the season and they went on an 11 game winning run?
Fabregas and Özil are both liabilities - neither have any athleticism or strength and they don't defend.

But Fabregas gets on the ball at every opportunity and he is a final ball machine. Handy goalscorer too.

Özil is extremely overrated and no good for the shambles that is our setup.

Hunter Zolomon

Fabregas and Özil are both liabilities - neither have any athleticism or strength and they don't defend.

But Fabregas gets on the ball at every opportunity and he is a final ball machine. Handy goalscorer too.

Özil is extremely overrated and no good for the shambles that is our setup.
fabregas is looking like a superior player, for all his defensive frailties, fabregas can play in a midfield 3 and is a better goal scorer and arguably passer than Özil.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
For Coquelin, I think it's actually quite simple:

He's here with us playing regularly for over two years. Even for a defensive midfielder, he does not have a single assist, let alone a goal to his name.

His off the ball positioning is very conservative, he does not make himself available for a pass nor does he make any smart run to create spaces for others. At start of this season, he made some Flaminiesque-mazy runs ahead which seemed to serve like a decoy for him to drag others around and make space for Cazorla, but it proved to be shortlived.

The fact that on big matches this season, he's constantly overwhelmed in midfield, tells a story that he is way below par for us to be a starter.

That shameless attempt and down-on-his-arse move from Hazard should be enough for Wenger to send him to bench at earliest convenience. And as you know it wasn't the first time that happened. On previous game, he was muscled out by Capoue on second goal and he also had a very similar fumble in trying to stop Dembele v. Sp**s at Emirates from which a penalty ensued.

#DrainTheDross #MAGA
;)

The Gooner

^ Agree 100% with this. Coq and Ramsey should be nowhere near our first team! They are squad players at best. I say we sell them both while we still can make some money from them. Ramsey at least scores some goals here and there but Coq has been absolutely terrible for quite some time now. I'd say he's my least favourite Gunner this season.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

We played Xhaka-Santi for a couple of games and we looked brilliant.

For me, Coquelin is in a bit of a catch 22. Because we have a manager who doesn't excel in setting up teams defensively, a player of Coquelin's ilk is tasked with a lot of responsibility to keep us solid. Sadly, ability wise, we're demanding too much from him.

Btw, congrats on being expunged from The List of Taylor. You don't belong there.

Yes said after Watford that is my favourite pairing . Xhaka sprays the ball long allows Cazorla to then move up the field and dictate from there.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Have to say though Trilly , he's been a part of our best victories in the last two years . City , United away and at home and of course Bayern. He definitely didn't look out of place then .

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's a shame we had so few central options against Chelski, if we had the full set I think Coquelin would've been dropped.

It's not as if he's getting outclassed by top opposition every week. He made Capoue look like Vidal ffs.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Like Theo, his started basically every game when fit.

Although that's probably because of the ready made partnership with Cazorla.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Have to say though Trilly , he's been a part of our best victories in the last two years . City , United away and at home and of course Bayern. He definitely didn't look out of place then .
I know right...strange. Like an extended honey moon period, I guess Cazorla deserves a lot more credit.

Silvinho's ball bag

Coq was playing as a shield last season and the one before. That's where he looks like an elite DM.

This season he's all over the place and it doesn't suit him one jot.

If Wenger continues to give him this kind of role he's of zero use to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom