• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enfield

Established Member
Re: Let's talk about Francis Coquelin

I think some people are over rating le coq as we haven't had someone doing that job in years. It wasn't that he was so good or bad but highlighted what someone with his set of skills can bring to a game

seanb85

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QU56rzlGwU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QU56rzlGwU</a>

Everyone please take 4mins out of your time to watch his performance against the hammers. I know all of you watched the game in full (coughs) but someone mentioned the kid not being good with the ball at his feet which I thought needed properly rebuking!

If it was a comp of Carvalho's most recent performance against team x the excitement in this forum would be unbearable and 9 out of 10 posters would be labeling him our "BIG DM" saviour...I think with Coquelin there's way too much focus on what's happened before i.e. unimpressive loan spells, inability to break into the 1st team etc., and not enough focus on what he's doing now i.e. bringing to the table all of the attributes you'd expect from a DM...

Think the lad deserves a run in the starting 11

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover

Coq showed us how good would we be, and how perfectly someone would fit in just by having fresh legs and energetic play.
He did terrific job considering where he was few weeks ago.

Every time he tackled I was imaging someone who can do it regularly, and do something extra in building up plays.

trunks206

Established Member

Am I crazy or is he our only Midfielder who actually looks to win headers in the middle of the park?

There were lots of times where I felt it strange to see a our midfielder going in 100% committed to win balls in the air. Quite refreshing to see.

Yes he's no Matic but we look a bit more solid in defense with him (and Kos, god how we missed him) in the side.

BobP

Memri Fan

Coquelin isn't that good, it's just the first time in a while many of us have seen that crucial physical aspect in our midfield, see the difference it makes having somebody in there actively looking to dispossess the opposition of the ball and also having the physical capabilities to do so? The difference it made in relation to attacking the opposition prior to them completing their defensive transition was invaluable.

That was our bread and butter for many years, I hope that we are able to bring in somebody in that mould but of a much higher quality.

Enfield

Established Member

seanb85 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QU56rzlGwU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everyone please take 4mins out of your time to watch his performance against the hammers. I know all of you watched the game in full (coughs) but someone mentioned the kid not being good with the ball at his feet which I thought needed properly rebuking!

If it was a comp of Carvalho's most recent performance against team x the excitement in this forum would be unbearable and 9 out of 10 posters would be labeling him our "BIG DM" saviour...I think with Coquelin there's way too much focus on what's happened before i.e. unimpressive loan spells, inability to break into the 1st team etc., and not enough focus on what he's doing now i.e. bringing to the table all of the attributes you'd expect from a DM...

Think the lad deserves a run in the starting 11

I just looked at it and tbh I thought the guy won a few headers, but was basically stopping anyone playing football.

That has its benefits late in a game but I'm not sure if he is conducive to our possession game.

The guy looked energetic and willing to work so I'm not slating him but on a lot of occassions the next player to touch a ball after coq was a West Ham player

He should be playing for them not us

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member

He was pretty good and could have probably been more effective if he was playing beside a holding midfielder who knew how to do his job but have to agree with most here in that hes showing us a taste of what we're missing. Schneiderlinn/McCarthy do this and a lot more week in week out for their teams. I'd buy both tbh sit them in the centre and let our forwards/fullbacks attack, harry and press.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Coquellin is good enough to be in our 25 man squad and has some good attributes, I would be happy for him to take Flamini's role in the squad but that of course means we need somebody to replace Arteta!

I've rarely been disappointed in Coquellin in an Arsenal shirt in CM or full back but he is not the answer to our problems but in a fair world his recent form means that he should get a chance to play.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member

No we shouldn't be replacing Arteta, him being out shows how important he is to us. We should replace Diaby with a powerful midfielder.

We should replace Flamini too but it looks like he's stuck with us for another year?

Arteta should get at least 1 more year.

Toast

Established Member

Because Arteta is amazing... he's just the best of a very bad bunch.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member

Toast said:
Because Arteta is amazing... he's just the best of a very bad bunch.

He's probably a top 10 DLP in Europe right now and 1 who can do a decent defensive job.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Even the Wenger-out guys on here have admitted that Arteta does give the team something. He's definitely not long term but when he has Ramsey alongside him and we don't leave ourselves wide open and him isolated, he's an excellent player. His reading of the game and cutting of the passing lanes is exceptional. He's also a good leader too. We should always be looking for someone who can fill in his shoes in saying that.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member

He shouldn't be starting but people finally realise that Arteta isn't as crap as he had been made out to be. He was a very good footballer who declined but is still a useful guy to have around. The issue was when we gave Flamini a deal longer than 12 months, it left us a bit hampered.

Toast

Established Member

Arteta at best has another season in him as third choice DM here. He can't stay fit anymore, his legs have gone and for all his good qualities even at his best he didn't cut it against the top teams. It's a joke that he's the best we've got. We need to buy two new DM's.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member

TBH Arteta and Coq would probably work better than Arteta and Flamini until Ramsey is back. Coq's pace and workrate would supplement Arteta's passing and positioning well.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member

Toast said:
Arteta at best has another season in him as third choice DM here. He can't stay fit anymore, his legs have gone and for all his good qualities even at his best he didn't cut it against the top teams. It's a joke that he's the best we've got. We need to buy two new DM's.

We beat Man City and Chelsea with Arteta. And third choice DM, behind who and who, let's hear your football manager suggestions. He should be upgraded upon but he's a more than good enough second choice.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Arteta is squad level in my eyes, not a starter so when I say Arteta replacement I mean somebody to replace him in the starting line up.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

fabo said:
Mate, Wenger is not even considering buying a CM in January. I'm doubtful we will in the Summer either but definitely not January.

Yeah I will be very suprised if we get a DM this Jan or anything other than a loan .

Toast

Established Member

ArsenesNO1Fan said:
Toast said:

We beat Man City and Chelsea with Arteta. And third choice DM, behind who and who, let's hear your football manager suggestions. He should be upgraded upon but he's a more than good enough second choice.

Even if we beat City and Chelsea with him in the team doesn't automatically mean he was good in those games. Moreover, we've lost far more top games with him in the team than we've won. Man United stick Rooney on him every time we play them and take him out. Everton did the same with Barkley who tore him a new arsehole. Mourinho does the same or he just leaves him be knowing that Arteta won't do any damage anyway. He has no lateral movement and no pace.

He can't be second choice because he cannot be counted on. He needs specific circumstances to play well and it seems he cannot play more than one game a week now and even then he's a big injury risk. I get that people want to keep him for whatever reason, but if we keep him as anything but emergency cover behind two solid options we once again will not win anything.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member

Toast said:
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
Toast said:

Even if we beat City and Chelsea with him in the team doesn't automatically mean he was good in those games. Moreover, we've lost far more top games with him in the team than we've won. Man United stick Rooney on him every time we play them and take him out. Everton did the same with Barkley who tore him a new ********. Mourinho does the same or he just leaves him be knowing that Arteta won't do any damage anyway. He has no lateral movement and no pace.

He can't be second choice because he cannot be counted on. He needs specific circumstances to play well and it seems he cannot play more than one game a week now and even then he's a big injury risk. I get that people want to keep him for whatever reason, but if we keep him as anything but emergency cover behind two solid options we once again will not win anything.

No but he was and in case you forgot

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KeQTyRifOQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KeQTyRifOQ</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liike I say still 1 of the top 10 DLP's in Europe. If we get a top DDM then Arteta can maybe be benched, but the DMs passing won't be oon Arteta's level. The only time Arteta has real issues is when he has a poor partner or his partner doesn't track back properly. It's team tactics and balance that are the problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom