• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gervinho's role

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Cruisio said:
That's fair enough, and can I ask who you believe to be the better player? Hand on heart
As far as I can tell, this is probably Podolski's average baseline level (could be wrong but if I had to guess...). With Gervinho, I honestly don't know at this point. If he keeps this up for the rest of the season (or even improves) then he is at least as good, if he tails off then Poldi is better. This is why I want to see more before making claims.

Though one thing I feel like I can say with some confidence regarding Gerv is that he is a much more erratic player whose level will depend on his confidence and state of mind a lot. With Podolski I feel like you know what you get...well he is German after all. :wink: I still think there is a possibility that Gerv can maintain a good state of mind for most of the season and keep up his good form, but I can't say for sure. I guess this is the point we disagree on, the crux of the matter so to speak.

titi perfection

fabo said:
titi perfection said:
The reason i chose Carzola was to emphasis the point i was trying to make, he is obviously one of the best players not only for Arsenal but in the entire league. Now what i was getting at was the fact that if we really wanted to scrutinise his game like some are hell bent on doing with Gerv, then we might just come to the conclusion that Carzola is not that good. And that is the point ofcourse Carzola is an excellent player but if you want to nit pick every little part of his game and tbf i did not go into the detail that some do when discussing Gerv, then the outcome will be pretty bleak for that player. Thank you and good night.

:lol:

Of all the posts on this thread and you choose to laugh at the one that at least makes a little sense, well done lad.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
Cruisio said:
That's fair enough, and can I ask who you believe to be the better player? Hand on heart

Podolski is the better player, he's the best striker we have.

Best shot, best strength and balance, best technique, enough mobility, best experience.

Gervinho for me has just found his niche, there are still quite a few technical issues however he's one of the finest in the team for beating his man either with dribbling or pace so with our style of game it's a huge asset when it comes to getting into position to score.

I wasn't even fond of Gerv when he was on the wing, I said a year ago that he had the look of a CF when he used to get up front with RVP and he's taken his chance very well imo and has become an asset.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

ArsenalDNA said:
titi perfection said:
The reason i chose Carzola was to emphasis the point i was trying to make, he is obviously one of the best players not only for Arsenal but in the entire league. Now what i was getting at was the fact that if we really wanted to scrutinise his game like some are hell bent on doing with Gerv, then we might just come to the conclusion that Carzola is not that good. And that is the point ofcourse Carzola is an excellent player but if you want to nit pick every little part of his game and tbf i did not go into the detail that some do when discussing Gerv, then the outcome will be pretty bleak for that player. Thank you and good night.

Pretty tough to scrutinise Santi. Maybe should have chosen a lesser player, like Wilshere, Koshielny or David Silver.

Think what titi is saying is that even Cazorla loses the ball and misses chances and the we are a little harsh on Gervinho.

:shock: Jack a lesser player ? not the one I remember .

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
celestis said:
ArsenalDNA said:
titi perfection said:

Pretty tough to scrutinise Santi. Maybe should have chosen a lesser player, like Wilshere, Koshielny or David Silver.

Think what titi is saying is that even Cazorla loses the ball and misses chances and the we are a little harsh on Gervinho.

:shock: Jack a lesser player ? not the one I remember .

I don't think you got the joke mate ;)

Cruisio

Established Member
RUS arsenal said:
Cruisio said:
As far as I can tell, this is probably Podolski's average baseline level (could be wrong but if I had to guess...). With Gervinho, I honestly don't know at this point. If he keeps this up for the rest of the season (or even improves) then he is at least as good, if he tails off then Poldi is better. This is why I want to see more before making claims.

Though one thing I feel like I can say with some confidence regarding Gerv is that he is a much more erratic player whose level will depend on his confidence and state of mind a lot. With Podolski I feel like you know what you get...well he is German after all. :wink: I still think there is a possibility that Gerv can maintain a good state of mind for most of the season and keep up his good form, but I can't say for sure. I guess this is the point we disagree on, the crux of the matter so to speak.

Well there we go, you're exactly right that is the crux of the matter

I don't want to have to rely on a player who if he's not in the complete right frame of mind mentally, he's no good to us. I'd rather rely on someone who I believe (and you believe to) to have the natural talent to drive us forward. There's far too if's, but's, maybe's and let's wait and see's with Gervinho, we can't go through the whole season crossing our fingers hoping for it all to come together because inevitably that falls on it's a**

GunnerGetYah

Established Member
The big complaint of last season was that Gervinho wasn't scoring. This season he has changed that dramatically and still these people give him no credit at all. There it just makes me think they are either racist or trolling, to be so passionately against him that they see no value in him at all. Just lock this topic, I can't deal with such nonsensicality.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

DiamondGooner said:
When did you ever expect to have to defend so vigorously Arsenals top goal scorer against it's own fans, pretty disgraceful stuff.
You shoulda been here when Adebayor was around.. :lol:

Everyone called it from early though he actually was a ****ta.

VAVAVOOM 14

GunnerGetYah said:
The big complaint of last season was that Gervinho wasn't scoring. This season he has changed that dramatically and still these people give him no credit at all. There it just makes me think they are either racist or trolling, to be so passionately against him that they see no value in him at all. Just lock this topic, I can't deal with such nonsensicality.

This.

Cruisio

Established Member
GunnerGetYah said:

*Sigh*

THIS is the problem. Common misconceptions work both ways. The most talked about problem was that he missed easy chances, but that wasn't anywhere near where his deficiencies ended though and people have actually listed what they've been and shown examples

It's the same continuous misconception I hear from people in regards to Koscielny ("Everyone wrote him off last season") no, they didn't. It was a completely different situation with Kos and yet we hear the same rubbish over and over again

It's even shown here "still these people don't give him credit", "they see no value in him at all" - go back and read what his detractors have said. He is clearly a talented player, he has his positives and he has done very well to add goal scoring to his game. Unfortunately the same frustrating deficiencies are still evident in his game

But of course, it MUST be racism or trolling , that can be the only explanation :roll:

Mastadon

Established Member
Its still early days in the season lets see if Gervinho can keep it up. I certainly never saw his as a CF always thought of him as a RW/RF and I've always rated him as a good player. He's scored a lot of goals so far but its fair to question whether its just a purple patch and whether it can last the course of a season. He also deserves more respect for how well he's done and hopefully he keeps up his goalscoring streak wherever he plays.

eye4goal

Established Member
DiamondGooner said:
These are goals Giroud is not capable of doing so before you trash our leading goal scorer I think you should remember that fact.

Giroud can also score some type of goals Gervinho can't. I think with Gervinho he'll have an absolute stinker every month or so but he's done extremely well so far. He stretches teams and is very hard to play against. He is less relient on service and you always need a dribbler in the team. In fact I feel he has created more shooting chances for Cazorla than the other way round.

Only Podolski and Cazorla have locked-down their roles in our front-four as they've proven their consistency. Gervinho has earned more game-time at CF but Giroud looks capable of coming in and doing a job in a similar way to Dzeko at City.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
Cruisio said:
It's even shown here "still these people don't give him credit", "they see no value in him at all" - go back and read what his detractors have said. He is clearly a talented player

Nah all I've read is that we should get rid of him asap and he'll never come good (although he kind of already has goal wise anyway).

Should I provide quotes to revive your short memory or do you just want to flick back through a few pages?

eye4goal said:
Giroud can also score some type of goals Gervinho can't.

Yeah well how about we just start with him actually scoring then maybe we'll have something to compare.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
@Cruisio: The thing is though, he is producing the goods so far this season. There is no reason to take him out of the line-up.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
Theres nothing wrong with Gervinho, hes clumsy as ****, but hes scoring the goals to compensate. Girouds high profile sitters has made people jump on him, but he is racking up assists, and will prob end up the better goal scorer.

All this is a bit skewed by the fact that DG seems to hate Giroud, and picks a fight in every posted.

Cazorla is better than both, and this is plainly obvious, but even he makes mistakes.

Cruisio

Established Member
RUS arsenal said:
@Cruisio: The thing is though, he is producing the goods so far this season. There is no reason to take him out of the line-up.

I agree, aslong as he's scoring goals of course I wouldn't advocate taking him out of the side, it's like we said though, you have faith it can continue, I don't, that's the only difference really

evoh_1

Established Member
Giroud is simply the better centreforward for a top team, he links play, makes moves that players like cazorla can pass onto, he has great technique and can pass really well. Gervinho is a maverick and untamed. You need someone who is going to play the numbers game and create lots of solid chances and bring the team up the pitch nad gervinho isn't that guy at the moment.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
RandomHero84 said:
All this is a bit skewed by the fact that DG seems to hate Giroud, and picks a fight in every posted.

Why don't you STFU! you've been sneaking in these snidey posts for the past few days and I've ignored them till now.

If your too blind to see the absolute hypocrisy your displaying then piss off back to the Giroud thread where the posts seemed to have halted all of a sudden since I asked for examples of how he's so good or these great goals he's apparently capable of.

I don't hate Giroud at all but take a stroll through this thread and the West Ham match and if you can't see the Gervinho hate that's so blatant then don't bother posting and mentioning my name at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom