• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gilberto

gypped

Alright, I don't get to watch Arsenal play as often as I like, and I need to know, what's the final verdict on Silva? Some people love him and say he's a key midfielder and some people hate him and say he's a burden is counterproductive. From what I have seen, Edu, with a little more experience would be much more useful. Please inform me of your opinions.

-SAVIOLA-

I love Gilberto, and you wil get alot of idiots on here saying that he is crap and does nothing. Alot of people are stupid and don't have a clue about the game, and they will be the ones bagging him.

I must admit he ain't the most valuable player around, but he does his job well and without any controversy. He will even pop up a get us goal from time to time.

A first choice in the world champions squad, and remember he played every minute of Brazil's World Cup Win, backs me up. People like Edu more because hes more attacking, but if Edu were a better player Wenger and Brazil would pick him.

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
mixture sometimes he plays and I think sub him, other times he plays very well

Kyla

his passing is too wayward. not good enough for to partner Vieira. So nope for me jury is not out yet!

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Kyla - maybe you should actually try watching him!!!

His pass completion is on a par with any central midfielder in the league. His goal scored record compares with any of our central midfielders.

Gilbertos main problem is that he's a grafter. He does a lot of work for the team which goes unnoticed.

To be honest you've got to be a bit of an idiot NOT to see how valuable he is.

beaney

Im not saying i dont like Gilberto, i ust think EDU is better. all the games ive seen them play in Edu looks better. more tackles, less giving the ball away etc...

I think Silva is good, he does work hard adn his positioning is quite good, but Edu has the edge for me.

Rocco Jones

I'd have him in the first team on most ocassions but think his midfield spot should be rotated. Vieira, Bobby n Freddie have the cemented possies in midfield and I think Gilberto, Edu and to a lesser degree Parlour should share the final spot. Little difference between em imho so I think we should make sure whoever plays is as fresh as possible.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
ExiledInNewcastle said:
Gilbertos main problem is that he's a grafter. He does a lot of work for the team which goes unnoticed.

This is so true. Leave Gilberto alone. His face is an asset too he looks like a really nice guy, but brings down loads of players with his hard tackles. The refs have started to notice (probably after we all bragged about it) but still only a couple of yellows to show.

Gilberto is cool. He will NOT be replaced full time by AW.

n_henry

I liked him a lot when he first came, then that kinda soured, but overall, think he's a good, solid player. Nothing flashy, but most of what he contributes does get unnoticed, which is too bad. I wish though, that he had more of that Brazlian flair going forward, but oh well.

I wouldn't replace him with Edu or Parlour full time. I think Silva has the slight edge over Edu...and lately, Gilberto's been great. :)

JazzG

Established Member
He has done much better in recent games when I have seen him, was quite poor earlier on but looks to be doing ok now.

kajej

Gilberto is playing better in the last games, specially against Boro in the league he was outstanding in that game. I rate Edu highly too. I think Edu is always going to be there to rotate with any of the CM's if theyre injured/suspended/out of form. In the CC Edu gave the ball away too much with bad passing which i thought was out of character of him, but he did control the centre puttin in some good tackles.

Kyla

ExiledInNewcastle said:

I accept that he has a designated role- to protect the back four, but for every interception he makes, he commits a sloppy clearance to cancel/outweight it- no doubt he can be a neat and tidy player but more often than not he makes careless passes which places our defence under undue pressure.

Ppl will keeping harping on about his role for Brazil. Well like Makelele, it's hard NOT to be noticed when you're the only person willing to make a tackle in a team full of attackers!

Gunner Ossie

I think that, as on many other issues, fans tend to see what what they want to see and merely repeat other generally expressed opinions.

In my view, In all of the games that Ive have seem them play Edu for me is the better player. If edu was just that bit faster, he would be the clear choice. My reasoning is below

Tackling ------ They are equal
Passing ------ Edu is better
Dribblling ----- Edu is better
Tracking Back--- Gilberto is better
Shooting -------- Edu is better
Forward Runs Edu is better
Goals ------ Gilberto has more/edu wins on goals/game

People who say that a lot of gilberto's work is not seen are talking arse because you could use that arguement to say your granny is really better than bergkamp. Remember when some fans used to say that about grimandi?

The truth is that we all watch games and we all see players tackling intercepting, dribbling,making runs,passing,shooting, and obviously scoaring. My question is why is Edu nearly always in contension for man of the match and gilberto not. The reason, i say, is because we always seem to notice Edu doing all of the above and if we dont notice gilberto doing these things as effectively as edu then its either we are all blind or maybe gilberto just aint as good as some would like to believe.

I am not saying Gilberto is crap but viera/Edu is my prefered option as it gives us more options going forward, without loosing as many in defense.

If gilberto wants his work to be notice Perhaps he should stop hanging about with the ninja. :D

Andrew

He is good enough if he keeps his performances are consistently similar to the ones against Boro (in the league) and Villa. Edu IMO is also worthy of a spot in the team, and is probably a more complete midfielder than Gilberto is. I would give Edu the slight edge, but I have no problems with Gilberto in the team. Don't forget Parlour as well, if he plays I think we are no better or no worse with him rather than Gilberto. So either way, Gilberto, Edu or Parlour... I don't really mind.

lewdikris

Established Member
The next time any of you lot watch an Arsenal match in full when Gilberto's playing seriously just watch him.

His jobs not even making tackles, but covering angles that force attackers into positions where they cannot make effective passes from.

He does this job better than anyone except Makelele in English football - and as well as all the workhorses who are at the base of every La Liga team: Mauro Silva at Deportivo being one obvious example.

His is a kind of play we're not really used to in English football - but it's central to the Brazilian and Spanish game. Unspectacular but effective - and enduring. Players of his type can keep going til they're 40 - Maurol Silva has finally announced his retirement at the end of this season at exactly that age.

In Brazil they call him the 'silent wall', which is more about the role he plays than the player he is.

And although you might not notice him, the statistics tell their own story: he makes more tackles, and completes more passes than anyone else in the Arsenal team. Why do you think Wenger only drops him once in a blue moon? Because he can depend on him - and he let's Paddy drive the game on, just like Makelele does for the French team.

I honestly think we could be having this same conversation in ten years time. Paddy may go eventually, with Yaya Toure his obvious replacement, but Gilberto, unless his head is turned by a big Spanish club, could still be here, doing his job and letting others play.

We're a flair team and you need a Mr Dependable there somewhere keeping things tight. Wenger bought Gilberto for that reason, and he's now largely indispensable..

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
The value of Gilberto can be seen by how Wenger uses Viera if Gilberto is playing or if Edu is playing. When Gilberto is playing Viera gets more space to push forward cos he knows there is somebody back to protect the defense. Viera does not push as much when Edu is on the field granted maybe because Edu does a better job in supporting the forwards than supporting the defense. So i can safely say Gilberto is very good at supporting the defense and giving Viera some freedom..to charge forward.
Edu doesn't do that. But he compensates that by being more involved in the attack. I think he is a bit more creative than Gilberto.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.
When you read some books they are fantastic, the writer touches something in you that you know you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life.
If you are living like an animal, what is the point of living? What makes daily life interesting is that we try to transform it to something that is close to art. And football is like that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom