• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gilberto

lewdikris

Established Member
I didn't say he makes the most tackles in the league did I? Angles and blocking. Although he does make a lot of tackles.

Last season he was right up there - by the end of this one he will be again.

Alexone234

Gilberto sometimes has a great game where he does everything he should but on other occasions he seems to go for a wander, the only thing lacking from his game is consistency. I watched him play against Villa and I though he was really good, maybe his best game. Better than anything United have signed (Djumble Djim, Forlorn or Fortuna)

Then again, I though Edu had a great game against Boro and was our best player?

But what do I know. IMO Edu and Gilberto are much of the same, both are decent credits to our side.

Adam

Established Member
Gilberto is the eighth wonder of the world for Arsenal fan's.

The comparison with Mauro Silva is uncanny. They are identical.

Mauro Silva had a marvelous game for Depor against Vieira two seasons back at Highbury; perhaps Wenger saw something he would like in his team.

Different to Dunga, but still can be effective for a team.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I agree with Mbaki and Lewdikris, Gilberto's presence allows Vieira to be more offensive. Gilberto gives us balance in the middle, I love Ray for his commitment and drive and I'll always defend him, but his first touch is and always has been quite poo, he's done well to still be part of the first team squad. Edu hits better long passes and scores goals (usuall deflected) - but Gilberto isn't here to do that and he still scores a goal every few games. I think it's natural that a player of his nature isn't that appreciated, cos what he does is essentially filling in, but he does it really well. And I thought he played well on Tuesday.

Suki

if gilberto could just do a bit more attacking wise he would be brilliant, as him and pat are both defensive kinda players none of them really create and score much..

so if gilberto can just get a few more goals even tho hes scored a couple this season or set up are more,, (hardly ever gets assists) then he'd be v good.

he does put a hell of a lot of work inj for the team. he must be doing soemthing right or we wouldnt be where we are if all the players in the team were not performing

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
That was the other thing I meant to say, the improved defensive record this season isn't just to do with the defence!

A

Anonymous

One word posts like that just swear pathetically will be removed.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Funny how people are saying he should score more goals, but no one ever complains Vieira doesn't score enough! Or Parlour. Or Edu.

His job is not to score goals or even to get forward. In fact, I was talking with someone the other day about goal scoring central midfielders, and I think the last one we had at Highbury was Brady.

The more artists you have in a team, the more important the unheralded grafters are, and Gilberto is absolutely vital to us.

laolu

ExiledInNewcastle said:
Funny how people are saying he should score more goals, but no one ever complains Vieira doesn't score enough! Or Parlour. Or Edu..
The reason why that is being said is because "they" are looking for excuses for him (Gilberto) not to be in the team and if he should be there by all means, then he should add goals too.

That's their reasoning

ExiledInNewcastle said:
The more artists you have in a team, the more important the unheralded grafters are, and Gilberto is absolutely vital to us.
absolutely true.

That's why Real needed and still needs Makalele badly

VCC

All I know is that with Gilberto playing most of the time, we are currently unbeaten and top of the league. Surely that says something.

And this year, his added scoring threat has been huge. He's outscored Edu, Parlour, and Vieira COMBINED. He has outscored Bergkamp and scored as many as Wiltord. This from a guy who, as Exiled says, isn't supposed to be a scoring threat.

A

Anonymous

And this is a guy who people say should score more!

Perhaps you would all like him to play centre forward?

lewdikris

Established Member
Kolo and Silva for centre forward!!!

VCC's point is absolutely right - for our true defensive midfielder, he's still been more prolific than the other three put together.

Paddy scores once a year.

Ray only scores scorchers ... once every two years.

And Edu scores the occasional tap in and deflected free kick.

Silva, thus far, has scored a crunching flying header (leicester), a flying volley (Boro), a shoulder (Newcastle), and finished off a classic gooner move (er, someone else)

Not bad going if you ask me....

jc8gooner

I'd have him in the first team on most ocassions but think his midfield spot should be rotated. Vieira, Bobby n Freddie have the cemented possies in midfield and I think Gilberto, Edu and to a lesser degree Parlour should share the final spot. Little difference between em imho so I think we should make sure whoever plays is as fresh as possible.
This is the view I subscribe to most.

A few months ago I was saying that Gilberto should not be first choice ahead of Edu and Parlour. I think that was after the Fulham game- in which he did play poorly.I even went as far to say taht we would not win the League if he remains first choice.

However now, I am slowly beginning to see the crucial role that Gilberto plays in the team, demonstrated particularly well in recent games against Boro and Villa. He does work very hard to close down players and narrow the angles that they have to pass. He has started to tackle in a more determined fashion, hence the few yellow cards. He has even driven the team forward on occasions with the ball at his feet.

In order to keep everyone fresh and ready though, I think maybe Edu and Parlour should be given a few more games. I do not think that either of them have let the side down when they have come into the side in the last few years. I think that Gilberto is more effective in away games, generally when there is more space to play, as at Highbury teams are always very quick to close us down.

In the long run, I think we need a creative central midfielder to go that extra mile in Europe. Just as Real Madrid had Zidane and Makelele, we could have a classy creative CM and Vieira. A player like Pablo Aimar perhaps, who can open up defences from the centre of the pitch. Of our current midifeld, the only main creative threat is Pires, and I think we could work well in Europe to put another in there.

marhes26

Oo Arr Ray Parlour.Graft this graft that.You ever seen Gilberto make a 50-50 tackle?.NO.I'm a season ticket holder for the last 10 years so im not someone that does not catch alot of our games.I gave him the benefit of the doubt after all the talk about not having a break after the world cup and he still plays the same way regardless.What annoys me is even when Edu or Parlour play really well they are dropped soon as Gilberto is fit and available.Gilberto is too slow for the premiership full stop.I dont like criticising our players but i cant see what benefit he is to us.

Gunner Ossie

If one looks back at what you guys have had to say about gilberto in the past, it hardly sounds like a ringing endorsement does it

Ime quoting youre own words here

flotz (these are your words below)

Forum: Arsenal Talk Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:35 pm Subject: Man of the Match Arsenal v Boro

" edu was sensational his tackling was superb and i really think he should be a first team regular and for those who a complaining about his passing abilities its still 10 times better than gilberto"

Forum: Arsenal Talk Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:17 pm Subject: Man of the Match: Lokomotiv Moscow

"i invite you to post here also players rating
i didnt see all the game so i cant tell but i think vieira was very good and even gilberto wasnt bad (excellent defensively)...overall nice performance.. "

lewdikris these are your words below)

" Forum: Arsenal Talk Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:16 pm Subject: Arsenal 4-1 Leeds

"Gilberto was fine. He misplaces passes but he also makes a shedload of simple tackles... Edu was excellent - he's become a vital squad member this season."

"Gilberto did just fine, although thank christ for the return of Vieira"

"Forget about Titi coming back, the real battle's to be won by these two. We lost against Inter in the first game because they both played like idiots for 90 minutes. The same scoreline could happen again if they do tonight. But i doubt it. Gilberto's had an odd two weeks, even by his own variable standards. Rubbish against Fulham, rubbish first ... "

So I gues gilberto is not always as good as your making out guys :lol:

jc8gooner

I knew someone would do that. It swings this way and that doesn't it. Gilberto is possibly the most divisive player we have.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Ossie - you could pick selected quotes on this site that slam any of our players! You could do pages on people slagging of Wenger!

Couldn't find anything from me to contradict myself though, could you!!!

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom