• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gilberto

A

Anonymous

Gilberto is a very important job for us, who does a steady if unspectacular job.
Because people dont see him flying into tackles and spraying 60 yard passes all over the pitch they think he is doing badly.
But his job is much more technical than that, and every bit as important.

I often find myself shouting out when he does something that i think is wrong, but then you realise if you watch him play how good a player he really is.

reggiepaul

Gunner Ossie said:
flotz

Wenger used to pick grimandi,vivas,Garde etc but that does not make them very good players does it.

...but the undeniable factor between them and the slated players is - they played less games. Meaning their assessment was flawed to their basis as a back up player rather than a regular one.

All players have games where they are not as present as they are in other games. To assess a player completely and most accurately you must base this on ALL the games he has played for the club. Assessing factors like :

Productivity (space covered and work rate)
Improvement (over time and games)
Goals/Assist works or Defensive attributes
Positional work (defensive, attacking or posession)

Gilberto like Wiltord and to a lesser degree Cygan (all three my favoured defences at Arsenal ;D :angel ) have played masses of games for arsenal - that is my first point. My second point is - we win most games, well 85% of them. Which is high so basically more commendation than negation should be applied to these players.

I think they're amazing players. :lol:

lewdikris

Established Member
GunnerOssie - your quoting of me proves my point.

Gilberto played appallingly against Inter the first time - notice what happened, we lost 3-0.

When he has off days, he does have really off days ... but on those days we never win...

hesham

Established Member
Gilberto is pants.. e need to get a midfielder who can shoot from distance and can pass properly in the c.c cup his passing waz really bad.. i hope we get some1 like van bommel in the summer.

Pat's missing Gerbil

Kyla said:
ExiledInNewcastle said:
To be honest you've got to be a bit of an idiot NOT to see how valuable he is.

I accept that he has a designated role- to protect the back four, but for every interception he makes, he commits a sloppy clearance to cancel/outweight it- no doubt he can be a neat and tidy player but more often than not he makes careless passes which places our defence under undue pressure.

Ppl will keeping harping on about his role for Brazil. Well like Makelele, it's hard NOT to be noticed when you're the only person willing to make a tackle in a team full of attackers!

sorry in my humble opinion that is bollocks. Vieiria gives the ball away as much as gilberto in front of the defence. Try a simple mental exercise next time you watch a game. Pretend Vieira is Gilberto. Use the biases that have built up on Gilberto on Vieira. Ie everytime Vieira misses a pass say he is bollocks. Its fascinating how our preconceptions rather than fact dictate our opinion..........ie gilberto's pass completion rate is higher than vieria's at present. We dont see Vieira's errors. We watch for every mistake that Gilberto makes.

I say watch how Gilberto breaks up play........its always early in the move when the opposition have the ball........... subtle obstructions .........little tugs........professional play. He stays on his feet as he tackles so rarely draws bookings, and is up and off to cover further. He stops the opposition by positioning and work rate. He reads the play very early and stops things happening. He commits the most fouls of any arsenal player but seldom gets booked. He does none of the showy stuff. I am sick to death of the critism of Gilberto. He has carried us further this season that Vieira has done with his injury. This negative attitude to a player who is the glue in the present arsenal side had lead to him being booo-ed by our own fans.

All i would wish that you would do is sit back and create your own opinion, think, watch, analyse and compare him to Vieira. If you do he doesnt come off that badly at present.

Pat's missing Gerbil

Adam said:
Gilberto is the eighth wonder of the world for Arsenal fan's.

The comparison with Mauro Silva is uncanny. They are identical.

Mauro Silva had a marvelous game for Depor against Vieira two seasons back at Highbury; perhaps Wenger saw something he would like in his team.

Different to Dunga, but still can be effective for a team.

yeah thats it!!!!!!!!!

laolu

lewdikris said:
GunnerOssie - your quoting of me proves my point.

Gilberto played appallingly against Inter the first time - notice what happened, we lost 3-0.

When he has off days, he does have really off days ... but on those days we never win...

meaning that he is key to the success of the Arsenal

hesham

Established Member
fact is gilberto and viera play the same game althuogh excicute it diffrently.. we need something diffrent.. good dribbler and shooter.. nedved like ...

Mark

Established Member
even though this is pointless to bring up since we have so many good CBs, but does anyone else think gilberto would play well there? he's a very defensive player who really isn't very good at attacking at all. just hypothetically, do you think he'd play well there?

Pat's missing Gerbil

Adam said:
Pat's missing Gerbil... Gilberto's testicle... whatever next!

well i could say to the dog: "stop licking your Gilberto"

but I know the dog would just look at me and say: " your just jealous mate. If you could; you would " and then get back to it.

I am not sure I could look the dog in the eye again

_scorpion_

Established Member
Gunner Ossie said:
lewdikris

Ive just had a look at the opta stats for PL midfielders and gilberto is nowhere to be seem in terms of tackling or passing so surely if he was that good he would be up there somewhere. Its also intersting to note that makalele is in theird spot.

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/arti ... 37,00.html

Stats dont mean ****.

You really are pretty stupid if you cant see what role Gilberto plays for our side. He is not meant to be a 'Viera'. He is a pure defensive midfeilder. Not an attacking predator thats gonna break the line or offer defense splitting passes. No one else in our team covers the ground he covers on the pitch. This topic is boring and over cooked.....either lock it up or stick it at the toip so that when the next idiot comes along to dispute Gilberto's position in the team.....they can read it.

Furthermore as far as AW is concerned.....Gilberto is Viera's no.1 partner. Say what you want , but I think the coach has more of an idea than you.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
hesham said:
fact is gilberto and viera play the same game althuogh excicute it diffrently.. we need something diffrent.. good dribbler and shooter.. nedved like ...

Yeah ok. Play Nedved in central midfield. Lets rip up the whole Wenger coaching manual!!!

The whole point is that with attacking widemen we NEED defensive central midfielders.

Pat - naming animals is one thing, but naming their gonads could be seen as a bit strange mate!

thegame24

Established Member
hes the dogs gilbertos!

gilberto is great for arsenal and so is edu sometimes. but gilberto is better overall.

Kyla

I admit preconceptions play a part here "pat's missing gerbil", but surely you are not comparing the performances of one fully fit midfielder with that of one who has just returned from injury? Vieria has yet to discover his old self. And no this is not me clutching at straws. Of course Gilberto's bloody pass-completion rate is that much higher- he's played more games and has fitness on his side. Plus, passing 3yrds to the next man alongside you isn't that difficult is it! And please don't make me count the collousous, virtuouso, man-mountain performances Vieira has given, prior to his injuries, where he has carried this team single handedly to results, to those of one of Gilberto's "better days."

Perhaps this debate shouldn't really centre around whether Gilberto is good enough. His constant team selection suggests otherwise. I would hate to refer to him as a JGooner "footballing atrocity." Rather I would like to question whether having a "neat" "tidy" "effective" player is really that instrumental in carrying this team forward?

thegame24

Established Member
how many goals have we conceded?

least in the prem right?

vieira has missed a ****load of games right?

who started most gilberto DID

and weve conceded the least goals in the prem

coincedence?

no gilberto has been great for us.

reggiepaul

Kyla said:
passing 3yrds to the next man alongside you isn't that difficult is it! And please don't make me count the collousous, virtuouso, man-mountain performances Vieira has given, prior to his injuries, where he has carried this team single handedly to results, to those of one of Gilberto's "better days."

Well passing is always important. First of all he doesn't pass 3 yards in front of him. It's a lot further than that. It does look smaller on TV but in real life it is further away.

The important factor is - he is there to collect a pass and give a pass. He is always in the right position. Even on his counter attacking phases he is always in the right place as well. This highlights his strengths on a posessional as well as an attacking basis. His defensive positional factors of breaking attacks and then moving forward I think have been covered. He also holds it awaiting the team to gather position and THEN he passes it BUT also moves to another position to exploit the oppositions attack.

Which leads me to ask what do you want Gilberto to do?

a) hoof the ball?
b) pass it to someone who isn't there - (think offside traps)?
c) dribble dangerously while one of our players goes dangerously offside (remember he does play central midfield)?
d) do a tony adams in to the west stand?

Nope - the best point is - hold posession and hold position. This is because he is central midfield and this is what these players do best.

Kyla said:
Perhaps this debate shouldn't really centre around whether Gilberto is good enough. His constant team selection suggests otherwise. I would hate to refer to him as a JGooner "footballing atrocity." Rather I would like to question whether having a "neat" "tidy" "effective" player is really that instrumental in carrying this team forward?

Yes. Massively important for any team player and definitely any central midfield player. Roy Keane and Patrik Vieira are not highlighted as greats for their ability to get stuck in and destroy work that took a grounds man hours to complete but of their ability to hold and move a team forward during a game. Their ability to push a team and control composure and this all works from central midfield because you will get more of the ball. Yes the dvd and video footballing greatest hits are usually covered by men who are strikers and massive goal scorers because it sells well but if this was gazetta dello sport and we were making videos on a players tactical and strategic brilliance - Gilberto would be covered in greater detail.

Arsenal Quotes

An Arsenal fan, when you finish fourth, will say, “Hey, we’ve been in the top four for twenty years. We want to win the league!”. They don’t care that Manchester City or Chelsea have spent 300 or 400 million euros. They just want to beat them.
But if you finish fifteenth two years running, they will be happy if you finish fourth after that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom