• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gilberto

IW8

As most of the points I would have raised have been covered in this debate, I'll just stand up and be counted as a Gilberto supporter.

I would like to add that those "supporters" who boo their own players do far more damage to their team than the oppostition. I've never booed anyone in an AFC shirt and I never will.

seanconvey66

Ive never booed Gilberto but i dont think he is the best option in the arsenal squad. Ive actually been very patient as i thought this year he would really perform after being knackered last year due to world cup, timing of Brazilian season etc, however i do not think he is that good. he has a high pass rate cos he only passes five yards. I accept his job isnt to be attacking, ive said many times a defensive midfielder is key to teams, but if u actually watch him, and i do closely, as i go to all games, he simply loses possession too much. He will always do the hard thing then lose the ball, when it is a simple pass, also i do not buy his takle rates. He has a high tackle rate as he is the only cm to have played the whole year interupted except when he missed a couple through illness a couple of wks ago. When ive seen him which is alot he seems to chase back but doesnt actually put the tackle in on alot of occasions. Also the most disappointing factor is that when things arent going his way he doesnt look for the ball, which i cant accept. I do believe he has played better in the last 2 or 3 games but i still believe playing Parlour or Edu or better yet GvB would give the team more.(all in cm.) However i do believe he can do better just needs to improve his concentration thus not losing possession as much, as he has a number of good attributes, ie good in the air, gets in the box, good engine etc. I wouldnt discount him just yet but my patients is beginning to wonder.

thierrys_girl

Established Member
Gilberto may not be the best central midfielder in the world but seeing as Wenger is playing him week after week tells me that he has faith in Gilberto. Wenger is a much better judge of players than we all are, he is a world class manager.

IMO Gilberto sometimes has bad games but which player doesn't (maybe expect henry)he works hard for our team and that is a quality that i admire. He is the more a defensive central midfielder than Vieira is and IMO that is a good thing, he provides more cover for our defense.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002 ... 16,00.html

have a read of the above article, he has a baby giant anteater living at London Zoo named after him :wink:

_scorpion_

Established Member
seanconvey66 said:
Ive never booed Gilberto but i dont think he is the best option in the arsenal squad. Ive actually been very patient as i thought this year he would really perform after being knackered last year due to world cup, timing of Brazilian season etc, however i do not think he is that good. he has a high pass rate cos he only passes five yards. I accept his job isnt to be attacking, ive said many times a defensive midfielder is key to teams, but if u actually watch him, and i do closely, as i go to all games, he simply loses possession too much. He will always do the hard thing then lose the ball, when it is a simple pass, also i do not buy his takle rates. He has a high tackle rate as he is the only cm to have played the whole year interupted except when he missed a couple through illness a couple of wks ago. When ive seen him which is alot he seems to chase back but doesnt actually put the tackle in on alot of occasions. Also the most disappointing factor is that when things arent going his way he doesnt look for the ball, which i cant accept. I do believe he has played better in the last 2 or 3 games but i still believe playing Parlour or Edu or better yet GvB would give the team more.(all in cm.) However i do believe he can do better just needs to improve his concentration thus not losing possession as much, as he has a number of good attributes, ie good in the air, gets in the box, good engine etc. I wouldnt discount him just yet but my patients is beginning to wonder.

This is just waffle and bullsh*t...sorry.

You want a robot for CM?? They havent invented one yet for the job.

Open your eyes....or maybe you should watch what other defensive CM's do...for example...Makalele. Maybe then you will wake up and see that Gilberto does 100% of what he is supposed to do.

Honestly.....I think some people like ****ting on players down just so that they look good.

Furthermore, you say GvB can do a better job! WTF ....are you nuts?Do you really watch 'most of the games' like you say you do? GvB for Gilberto????I've never heard of such numbskullery.....

seanconvey66

Unlike Gilberto GvB was never really given a run in Cm. If it is bollocks, how come 95% of the supporters i know or those who sit around me, believe he isnt good enough for Arsenals 1st team. I think you are the one who needs to open your. A robot u say? Nah just someone with a bit of passion. Parlour isnt a great footballer but what he lacks he more than makes up for in effort. If u saw the game on sat u would also have seen Edu played excellently, yet i will bet for the next game Gilberto is in ahead of him. I didnt say Gilberto is a bad player but he needs to improve on a few aspects of his game which are vital to be a centre midfielder, such as passion, effort, being able to pass, etc...... As for GvB i think he would be a better option as he can actually pass, he is alot more creative than Gilberto and when he played in Cm he looked quite good. As for me warching most games i do, i have a seaon ticket, go to half the away games and any game i cannot go to is due to work commitments! If u read the Gooner which is produced purely by Arsenal fans u would see this is a common belief. As for watching other Defensive cms, they break up attacks and pass the ball on, neither of which he does as he doesnt actually tackle, and cant pass! The fact the todays mail highlighted him as one of Wengers worst signings............ Maybe harsh but if he was a good as u seem to believe would he be on that list or would we even be having this debate.

GoonerLuke

GvB is not fast enough, big enough, or strong enough to play CM for Arsenal. He has skill, but lacks the raw physical tools that are required to play in the Arsenal starting XI.

I haven't seen Gilberto play very much, but if Wenger rates him, then that says enough for me. We have the best defensive record in England, and Gilberto plays as big a defensive role as anyone on our team.

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman
Top Bottom