• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

In all seriousness can we win the title?

bazza_afc

After an awful start, most on here lambasted the chances of this side winning the title, then after the 5 wins in a row most people changed their minds. The draw with Everton has brought everyone back down to earth.

We have a fantastic squad with a lot of depth and some incredible players. However as our three 1-1 home draws suggest we do have our flaws. So who thinks we can/will be Champions come May?

sabret00the

Established Member
I don't beleive we can do it this year. We still play a 4-5-1 for the wrong reasons (not enough steel in midfield) and we lack the ability to play with width. These issues are going to be addressed in the summer and from that point we'll have a chance, but right now, we're not the best attacking team, we're a fantastic passing team but we seem to have forgotten how to counter properly in place of ball retension and ball retention without the ability to exploit chances is going to make sure it's a long season.

I believe we're whole heartedly a lot better than we were last season and that makes me smile, but title contenders, my gut says no, as does my head. my heart disagrees but alas.

Rocafella

Established Member
No I wouldn't say we can win it not because we aren't good enough, but because of the way Chelsea seem to have this annoying consistency about them, which we used to have a few years back to be able to grind out results if need be.

Seabass

I think it's hard to say. I'm usually quite an optimist regarding Arsenal (ignore yesterday), but if I had to bet one way or another, I'd say we won't win it this year. We certainly have the talent necessary, but what we lack is consistency.

Along with that, we really do struggle against teams that solely try to shut us down, and we need to find a way to crack that. It could be a different story in another month though. With Baptista, Senderos, and Adebayor all in the team, I think we have another dimension that may help us, but it's too early to say.

We'll just have to see how it goes. Technically, I think we CAN win it... If we beat Chelsea and United in both fixtures this season, then we'll be able to get away with a few poor results here and there, but that's a lot to ask.

Alfonso

Established Member
It depends whether or not the manager and the players learn from their mistakes and try and solve our achillies heel of not being able to play properly against defensive teams.

We have the personnel to win the title. But do we have the mindset, attidtude, application and tactical finesse to win? Im not sure.

Plus have we shown so far we want the title this season more than Man Utd and Chelsea? IMO they seem more hungry and motivated to fight for the title than we have so far. We are more sloppy in every aspect than those two clubs.

Basically, we have the potential to win the title. Like ive said the title is there if we want it. But its a matter of beleif and trying to find soloutions to some problems we have faced.

If we can overcome these issues then we have a good chance. But it is crucial to be there or thereabouts in the christmas period because thats where i feel the title can be won and lost.

rustum76

Seabass said:
I think it's hard to say. I'm usually quite an optimist regarding Arsenal (ignore yesterday), but if I had to bet one way or another, I'd say we won't win it this year. We certainly have the talent necessary, but what we lack is consistency.

Along with that, we really do struggle against teams that solely try to shut us down, and we need to find a way to crack that. It could be a different story in another month though. With Baptista, Senderos, and Adebayor all in the team, I think we have another dimension that may help us, but it's too early to say.

We'll just have to see how it goes. Technically, I think we CAN win it... If we beat Chelsea and United in both fixtures this season, then we'll be able to get away with a few poor results here and there, but that's a lot to ask.

I think, we have a decent chance. We are definately going to be in top three. If we have a complete team ( Beast, Eboue, Ade, Diaby and Freiddi), then we can play out traditional passing game as well, bit diffrent style of game to break down teams like everton.

HENRYVIEIRA

Personally I think the away game to Bolton is the key. Traditionally we do not do well there, but I feel a win and we can definitely challenge.

A draw would be fine too, but wouldn't (for me) be as conclusive.

And it all depends on who's out injured at the time as well.

Cheers.

mad jens

we MUST PLAY 4-4-2

i have had enough of 4-5-1.

play it against the tough teams but not against negative teams who park their players in their own half

i really miss our much beautiful football in the past with the 4-4-2.

but these draws and losses here and there are inevitable.

we just have to get over it and do better the next time.

and i think we can achieve this with 4-4-2

progman07

Established Member
Bit too early to tell. As said above, if we learn from our mistakes and our injured players get back, we stand a chance. Really, it depends on November perofrmances if we can chase chelski and manure. If we stay 3-4 points behind them, we can do it (we have matches versus them, we can win them, too), if we lose other points while they don't, no chance at all.

tam1886

Established Member
Rocafella said:
No I wouldn't say we can win it not because we aren't good enough, but because of the way Chelsea seem to have this annoying consistency about them, which we used to have a few years back to be able to grind out results if need be.

I think a lot of that with Chelsea grinding out results comes from Lampard. Hate him or not you cant deny he has the ability to win them games alone with his goalscoring from long shots or freekicks. Whenever Chelsea are having a bad game or facing a tough team and finding it hard to score, you'd never bet against Lampard scoring a long ranger or freekick. I dont think we have someone in midfield who has this and i think thats what lets us down in games like Everton and the others this season. I feel someone in midfield needs to take on more of a responsibility in goalscoring, or all of them score a few more each at least. Maybe Baptista is the answer but where exactly does he fit in when were playing like against Reading and Man Ure?

Ketka

Far too early to say. Like every year it will depend on how many points out of the 12 we pick up against Chelsea and United.

If we hadn't won at Old Trafford, I'd have said we had no hope. But we did. Which in recent history is always a good sign!

Ask me on December 4th. If we haven't completely messed up up by then and we manage to take points from Chelsea, then I think it's anyone's. Remember the game against Liverpool around the same time in 2001? I said then that the winner of that match would win the title. We beat Chelsea at the Bridge and we're half way there. Games against other sides tend to more or less even themselves out. But its imperative to take the points from your nearest rivals.

patrick42uk

Established Member
too much consistency required. too many young players will be involved this season. chelsea have raised the standards so very high to such an extent there is no margin for error. look at their first choice 11. there are no kids there. its 11 experienced, world class players who wont make too many mistakes. they play in a system that makes absolutely sure of that.

even man united will find it extremely difficult, no matter how well they are playing.

AV Gooner

i beleive we can but we have to get over the type of teams that just simply sit back and try and earn a point or nicking a win with a set-piece. also chelsea's consistency is also a factor but if not this (which i belivve will be close) then deffinately next season.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
Title is beeing won on small games. We have trouble when we get a goal behind for some reason! If we manage to overcome this: no troble, if not then unfortunately: no way.
PS. Remember that Unbeaten were no2 in league for quite a long time begind manure!!!

Jameel46

Established Member
we win our extra game, and we're only 4points behind, if we won the games we deserved to win then we would have won all our premiership games, and sabre stop bashing 4-5-1, the team had more than 20 shots yesterday and only an in-form Tim Howard denied us the three points, there's nothing wrong with the formation

Ketka

patrick42uk said:
too much consistency required. too many young players will be involved this season. chelsea have raised the standards so very high to such an extent there is no margin for error. look at their first choice 11. there are no kids there. its 11 experienced, world class players who wont make too many mistakes. they play in a system that makes absolutely sure of that.

even man united will find it extremely difficult, no matter how well they are playing.

We don't have too many kids these days either. Name me a player in our first 11, who could be considered a 'kid'. Fabregas is young but hardly lacking in experience and is one of the best midfielders in the Premiership. Every other player in our first 11 is over 21 and has International / World Cup experience. Even our back-up players now have plenty of experience. We've come a long way since this time last year. The key for us is steering clear or injuries. If we do that then we have a first team that is just as good as Chelsea's.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
I think it would be foolish to write us off.I expect big things from the beast also.

Jameel46

Established Member
patrick42uk said:

Djourou and Fabregas are the only two in the starting line-up that are under 22, and they both are internationals, who gives a f*ck about how old they are anyway, i hope we win the title by playing the Arsenal 'Total Football' brand rather than play the boring Chelsea style of Football (which you for some reason seem to prefer) if we win it, it should be by playing the way the team play, if not, than it doesn't really matter if we win the title or not if we play like a team that doesn't want to represent football

yankeegooner

Everton are a very good team this year, serious competitors for the 4th spot, so dropping points to them is not something to despair over completely.

While the home form is troubling, I would argue that the away form being 100% improvement from last year gives us a chance. We're going to get more and more comfortable at the Emirates...

Both Man U and Chelsea have shown they'll drop points this year, we're by no means out of it.

One of the earlier comments pegged the Holiday fixture stretch as key, and I think that's when we'll be able to see if we're serious title contenders. For now, we're definitely not out of it.

hujja

Established Member
RandomHero84 said:
I think it would be foolish to write us off.I expect big things from the beast also.

Agreed.

I wouldn't write us off. Great things are to come from this squad of ours. We have so many world class players. It's just a matter of time.

I'll be arsed if we don't win anything this season. The FA Cup is acceptable this season and I firmly believe that it will be us lifting the title next season.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom