• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere and the burden of expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Hopefully a reality check and an established role in the squad instead of being d**ked about in different positions. Play him as back up to Ramsey and Cazorla - will get plenty of games but lets get rid of this idea of him being a number 10.

a_fourteen

Established Member
Floating said:
Gibbs and Szczesny are both youth team players, too.
Not like Wilshere is. Szczesny came from Warsaw and Gibbs from Wimbledon/MK Dons. Only Jack has made it from the catchment area up.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Promoted too early and overplayed in his first season. Given number 10 shirt at the age of 20 off the back of a few decent performances. It didn't help him in the slightest. I hope lessons are learnt with regards to Chambers.

I still feel Jack is some way behind others in terms of his natural fitness and it's one of those things that has a huge impact on any player's ability to play at their best. I also think he needst o be given a specific role in the team. I know he's young but you can't give someone a free role until they learn the tactical side of the game in my view. With Jack there is too much roaming to nowhere and he doesn't look like he knows where he should be on the pitch.

a_fourteen

Established Member
I think Wenger tends to develop central midfielders starting with a deep position. That's what he did with Cesc first getting rid of Vieira so he wouldnt block him and then Ramsey. I think it helps in their development to play deep as they have more time on the ball and the game is in front of them. He cant do that with Wilshere as Ramsey is a bolt on starter in that deep position presently. I am sure Jack will do great against Besiktas playing there in Ramsey's absence. It is too early for him to be playing #10.

Pies

Agree with what Savage was saying on MOTD. First off he needs to keep fit. He can stay fit and get a run of games he will continue to develop. Has loads of talent and I don't think he's been nearly as poor as a lot have been making him out to be.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He'll come good, I'm not sure if it's the burden of expectations, but people expect too much when he hasn't been given a consistent number of games since his massive injury and he's constantly halted by niggling injuries. Hopefully he'll keep improving and get back to his best and more soon enough with the run he's been given now.

One thing that may be a burden is that he is the future of Arsenal and he'll continue to be so until he's finally made captain and then he'll be Mr.Arsenal (as cringeworthy as that sounds ;) ).

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Patience. And fitness. Jack can handle the pressure of us less so I feel the pressure placed on him by himself and the up shoot in fortunes for Ramsey.

Floating

Established Member
He needs to take Ramsey's example. Just stay fit, get back to the basics, and his confidence will slowly return. He can be world class, easily.

silent_shadow

Established Member
Ramsey showed a huge amount of determination and the required application to lift his level, let's not forget. Would like to see signs of that from Jack.

For the record I do still think he's a talent who can bring it back together. I'd rather we didn't change our whole shape to fit him in the team though. Should be on the bench when our teams fit and available, and try his best to prove himself off there.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
bingobob said:
Patience. And fitness. Jack can handle the pressure of us less so I feel the pressure placed on him by himself and the up shoot in fortunes for Ramsey.
May I present: The nutshell.

I'll add pointing fingers is not needed either, e.g. promoted too early, played in weird positions, and so on. The reason being, counterexample of each abound, some close to home.

Lack of fitness has added to the needed patience on our behalf, the rest (of what he can control) is up to Jack.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Tir Na Nog said:
He'll come good, I'm not sure if it's the burden of expectations, but people expect too much when he hasn't been given a consistent number of games since his massive injury and he's constantly halted by niggling injuries. Hopefully he'll keep improving and get back to his best and more soon enough with the run he's been given now.

One thing that may be a burden is that he is the future of Arsenal and he'll continue to be so until he's finally made captain and then he'll be Mr.Arsenal (as cringeworthy as that sounds ;) ).

that I think is the definition of burden of expectation

blrgooner

Established Member
I don`t really understand why he has been a point of discussion in the first place. He has shown some good signs so far this season and has been much better than he was in the last season. Of course, his real test will come in big games but so far, he has been one of our better midfielders IMO.

ModelGooner

Harambe Loyalist
He needs a defined role. People are great at their professions when they know exactly what is expected from them, in football and in everyday life. A lot of the time he looks unsure of where to go and what to do, hence holding the ball for too long or running into alleys pointlessly.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
The number 10 doesn't hold any weight in the UK like it does in South America. Some of the worst footballers I've ever seen wore that number for England as well.

Lately we've developed this tendency of rushing players back from a serious injury simply because we've got no squad depth, and Jack has been the victim of that juts like many others before him.

Who in here really knows what's Jack's strongest position? We are the masters of playing players out of position, and expect them to perform as well as they do in their strongest position which is almost impossible.

Benching him won't help either of us especially now that he's low on confidence however, he doesn't have to start every game and when he does, just tell him to keep it simple and cut out all this unnecessary dribbling.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

^ Yeah the No. 10 shirt is a much bigger deal in Spain for example than it is here, I think Gallas had our one for a good four years or so :lol:

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
My view on Jack is that he is a player who plays primarily through the middle by carrying the ball. Teams go very narrow and deep against us as we don't have proper wingers and rarely attack through the use of the wings.

Its my opinion that Jack is actually a big game player because he is not trying to beat a defence that is both narrow and deep. He has to beat 2 or 3 players which he can do quite well.

I reckon he'll get better as the season progresses as with Walcott coming back and Sanchez likely playing at the same time we'll make the best use of the space on the wings meaning teams can't defend as narrow.

The irony is that I think if Wilshere was playing on the wing instead of Özil he'd get way more space and could do serious damage.

If Ramsey is out and Özil is playing, Özil will probably drift out to space bringing players with him and giving Jack more space in the middle.

I'm optimistic but IMO if he was playing with a team that uses the wings a lot he would be looking like 10 times the player he does with us right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom