• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jens Lehmann

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBL

Established Member
Re: Jens Lehmann In Talks For A Return

:lol: brilliant gif, totally scares that animal with his completely safe flying kick

Wouldnt mind him back at all as a backup, not sure what to expect if he actually had to play

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

The irony of you, of all people, calling someone a broken record :D

Am happy with Al being third choice. I certainly don't want him as first choice - in Szczesny and Fabianski we have strong goalkeeping options next season.

To be frank if there was any other option ahead of a 41 year old Lehmann, I'd take it. He hasn't played in over a year and has gotten even crazier since he left us.

And out of interest do you actually have any kind of interests outside of stalking forums awaiting the mere mention of your idol?

Endris

You really are the master of subtly manipulating facts. He hasn't played (if you don't count non-competitive games) in 9 months, not in over a year.

Anyway, he confirmed it in Bild and says this time he is actually looking forward sitting on the bench and that he will support Almunia.

ricky1985

Established Member

Martin Keown thinks this could give us a shot in the arm for the run-in:

Insight on Lehmann: He'll get Arsenal over the finish line
Jens Lehmann is one of the most professional figures in the game and he will immediately become a father figure in that dressing room.
My role changed in my last year at Arsenal and he will find the same. You try to help everybody.
Arsenal have a lot of injuries and the boss has turned to those he knows - Jens is someone he can trust. He's very intelligent and he's a winner.

The title race is hotting up - Arsenal are three points behind Manchester United with a game in hand - and it's really positive having someone like him to help get them over the finishing line.
He was the No 1 goalkeeper for a long time but now he'll support Manuel Almunia. What stood out for me playing with Jens was his ability to take crosses.
He took risks but it's a great feeling as a defender when a goalkeeper comes to claim a dangerous ball in the area and suddenly the problem has gone away.
Jens did that better than any other goalkeeper I played with. He's a good communicator and excellent at identifying which of his team-mates are giving everything and who could offer more.

If something needs to be said, he'll say it.

Bossa

Established Member

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/fussball/international/2011/03/15/jens-lehmann/comeback-bei-arsenal-london.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/fussball/ ... ondon.html</a>

done deal.

jerome2158

Established Member

irishgunnerz said:
The irony of you, of all people, calling someone a broken record :D

Am happy with Al being third choice. I certainly don't want him as first choice - in Szczesny and Fabianski we have strong goalkeeping options next season.

To be frank if there was any other option ahead of a 41 year old Lehmann, I'd take it. He hasn't played in over a year and has gotten even crazier since he left us.

And out of interest do you actually have any kind of interests outside of stalking forums awaiting the mere mention of your idol?

just to confirm, you do realize jens is a short term thing, right? As in, to the end of the season.

I think most of us are pleased with fabianski and szczesny, with almunia being somewhere in the distance next season.

But for the time being, we literally have 1 keeper. We need someone, and jens is good enough. No one's talking about him as a viable long term option.

OohtobeaGoonerGal

Established Member

The German said on Monday night: 'I know this Arsenal team and I am sure we can go on and win the title. If I can play a part in that, so much the better.'
Wenger is desperately short of goalkeeping cover. First-choice Wojciech Szczesny is out for six weeks due to a finger injury, Lukasz Fabianski will miss the rest of the season after shoulder surgery, Vito Mannone is on loan at Hull and 19-year-old James Shea is not ready for first-team football.

But Lehmann has answered his old coach's call to be understudy to Manuel Almunia. Lehmann, who will go straight into the squad for Saturday's Barclays Premier League game at West Bromwich, added: 'It never crossed my mind that I might end up solving it (Arsenal's goalkeeping crisis).

'But when they asked me, I was more than happy to oblige. It was just over the last few days that they contacted me to see if I could help out for the rest of the season and I agreed straight away.'
Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1366288/Jens-Lehmann-rejoins-Arsenal.html#ixzz1GcpNwS4k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z1GcpNwS4k</a>

Those are the main quotes from Jens to basically confirm that this has happened.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

If he can put aside his 'madness' enough to do a Sol Campbell for us, then so good, otherwise it's a huge gamble.

-vapour-

Chances of Lehmann getting any playing time is very slim. He will be capable should he be called upon. This is more a signing for the dressing room, like Campbell was supposed to be last season. Not really a gamble when there are no real options aside from him. It would be a huge gamble going at the rest of the season with just one goal keeper, or with James Shea or another unexperienced keeper.

Lehmann is a winner, and has the spirit and determination to see that our whole team understand what is at stake.

KY

Established Member

nice to have someone from the last team we had who the league back. Maybe he can show them how it's done!

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible

A bit weird we're relying on a veteran to rescue us for the second season in a row, tells you a lot about our supposed squad depth. Although with our freakish keeper injuries I guess you could say these are special circumstances. Happy to have him back regardless.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member

Kroket said:
A bit weird we're relying on a veteran to rescue us for the second season in a row, tells you a lot about our supposed squad depth. Although with our freakish keeper injuries I guess you could say these are special circumstances.

Our depth at GK is fine, as you say its just special circmstances.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member

I will be shocked if we were relying on him to actually play games. I believe, he's here just to provide bench strength. He's surely the better player to have on our bench than Shea.

May be if Almunia has a calamitous game, Jens might get a look in, but not otherwise. He was here to get some coaching practice. Now, he can do that and provide us some security.

That is all that I can see him doing here.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Saw Jens at the training ground today. My spine shuddered when we made eye contact

Almunia Twitter LoL

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

I realise he's stop gap - like I said, here's a distinct lack of alternatives.

I would be concerned if he had to play a series of games given his lack of match practice or even full training (unless he's been training with us??). If he can keep his mouth shut (in public at least) and not have a negative impact on team morale then I guess at this stage in the season we wont get anyone else anyway

[Endris - 9 months or a year - neither is ideal]

fabo

6.51 / 10

I'd much prefer Lehmann playing at Stoke than Failmunia, who is as commanding as a schoolgirl on crosses.

Highly doubt he'll actually play though, unless Almunia gets injured or screws up in a few games(not impossible).

dpt49

Established Member

Almunia and Lens were not exactly best mates, I hope this doesn't affect Almunias already shaky confidence.

We don't want to be relying on a 41 year old GK, who has a problem with his temperament, and who hasn't played at the top level for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

We live a society where everybody knows everything and it looks like it is a shame to say I don’t know

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom