• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: 2019/2020 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanB

Needs to play deeper. Wasted playing higher up the field as a number 10. I'm willing to bet he would put in better performances as a winger than as a number 10..

darkgunner

It's unfortunate he didn't get his chance deeper in midfield today, but he didn't disgrace himself as a no. 10 on his second start in the PL.

Wasn't overly effective but you can tell he has good technique and a lot of desire to put in a performance. Özil has had worse games playing away.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

THIS.

I'm still a bit angry about the setup even though a good overall day for Arsenal fans with vital away points grabbed and a cleansheet.

Willock is half the player as a 10, he's a 6-8 for me. His biggest strenth is his versatility and I'd prefer to see him sitting deep like Kante covering the whole place, making some massive runs forward once in a while. That's probably the biggest compliment I can think of by the way.

Guen should rather be more advanced up the field, if Ceballos isn't playing. There he can be the perfect link to the attackers as he's always making himself available and capable of playing the final ball whilst not hurting our team with bad positioning when defending.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Arsenalmania nerds tryna figure out Willock's position:

giphy.gif

OmegaOs

I keep seeing this pop up to try and discredit Willock's efforts at 10 but I don't think it is fair. Emery has a really weird view on the no.10 position. Willock was okay there but lets not forget that Özil and Ramsey both struggled to play in that role. When he first started his job at PSG he often played Veratti at 10 until he went to complain to the owner and they went to a 4-3-3.

It seems like he doesn't want his 10 to be the main source of creativity or the main passer. In fact Özil's volume of passing went down significantly playing for Emery than he did for Wenger. I think he sees the 10 as the initiator of the press, their main job is to press and harrass the opposition's deepest midfielder but it's not really conventional to play like this in a 4-2-3-1. I think he really needs to look at a 4-3-3 again and stick with it.

OmegaOs

I keep seeing this pop up to try and discredit Willock's efforts at 10 but I don't think it is fair. Emery has a really weird view on the no.10 position. Willock was okay there but lets not forget that Özil and Ramsey both struggled to play in that role. When he first started his job at PSG he often played Veratti at 10 until he went to complain to the owner and they went to a 4-3-3.

It seems like he doesn't want his 10 to be the main source of creativity or the main passer. In fact Özil's volume of passing went down significantly playing for Emery than he did for Wenger. I think he sees the 10 as the initiator of the press, their main job is to press and harrass the opposition's deepest midfielder but it's not really conventional to play like this in a 4-2-3-1. I think he really needs to look at a 4-3-3 again and stick with it.
You know what it just came to my head. Its in the similar vein to how Mourinho put Oscar in the 10 role and sold Mata. That is why Emery seems to prefer Joe at 10 but I'm still trying to figure out Emery's tactics because in all honesty he's weird.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
All about transitioning his game from u23 to seniors. He is still developing but the kid can play both as 8 and 10. At the moment he will probably have more success as 8 but he still can play 10 if he manage to fully transition his game to seniors level!

Top talent!

The two roles are entirely different though. Especially the way Emery uses a 10 to basically cut off passing lanes for the opposition defence. It’s never going to do a player of Willock’s rounded skillset justice. We lack vision, speed, and authority in that area in front of defence and he has all 3.

Zaza

This. He's only effective against big teams. I don't want him as a long term option

Divided_Pie

He's clearly not ready to play #10 if you want him to be involved offensively. If Emery wants him to press/man mark the opponent then I guess he can do that better than some of the other AM options but it's a very poor tradeoff IMO. Özil averaged something like 50 passes a game last year in a poor season for him.

Iceman10

Established Member
Have to agree mate . He is better defending, better positioning , got pace that is sorely missing and he knows how to support the attack .

Hope Emery sees this , because Xhaka and Guendouzi is awful .

Douzi was all over the pitch with an action performance, he was even providing protection for full-backs on occasion. Pretty sure heat maps will show this once they are out. I'd like to see the manager experiment with AMN in CM later on in the season once Bellerin is back. If AMN can provide additional depth for CM it could well be time to move Xhaka on next summer.

Willock will be sure to get plenty of chances once we are playing three matches a week. I don't think he's ready to consign Douzi to the bench just yet.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Have to agree mate . He is better defending, better positioning , got pace that is sorely missing and he knows how to support the attack .

Hope Emery sees this , because Xhaka and Guendouzi is awful .

Imo any midfield setup that is balanced out needs to have either Torreira or Willock in a deep CM position. They are the ones capable of dominating in that area.
Any other setup is shocking weak in the defensive side of the game.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

You need players to press and harry in midfield just as much, if not more. Most attacks start from deep when the opposition have pushed up.

Frustrates me no end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom