• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lee Mason Will Never Leave PGMOL

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

The fat c*nt should have been marched through Islington like Cersei Lannister rather than thanked in a BS statement.

A fair punishment...for Cersei. I doubt even Lee Mason's missus wants to see him in his birthday suit :lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He's actually gone...

frodo-frodon.gif

... doesn't bring the points back, but never thought this would happen (even if it was correct) see ya you fat **** 👋

Tnegs

They do have a retainer on top of that. Probably takes them north of 100k. Being involved in football in some capacity is a dream job for many, I don’t see higher salary improving candidates.

It’s a closed shop and that’s how they want it.

100k a year to officiate games in a league worth billions of pounds. Sounds like the perfect recipe for corruption ask anyone from a 3rd world country what happens when you have public officials who are paid 5k a year and are expected to approve billion dollars contracts.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

100k a year to officiate games in a league worth billions of pounds. Sounds like the perfect recipe for corruption ask anyone from a 3rd world country what happens when you have public officials who are paid 5k a year and are expected to approve billion dollars contracts.

Yeah this cartel of bald mancs makes decisions which can have huge effects in gambling markets.

Sure there’s nothing to see at all…

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Really it would be better if refs made more money.

It feels like at times they behave and are treated like the semi pro refs of the 90's and before. Some of these guys aren't even in good enough physical shape to do their jobs properly tbh.

Generally I do have some sympathy for refs. No matter how good a job you do 50% of the supporters at least are going to hate you and you will get totally unacceptable levels of personal abuse. It can't be nice but there has to be a line drawn in the sand somewhere and this is one.

Mistakes are mistakes, everyone makes them but forgetting to put the lines in for VAR when you've got all the technology at hand to help you make the best possible decision goes beyond making a mistake, it's outright incompetence and needs to be treated as such.

Sparrahork

I opted to support man utd as a boy, I knew no better at the time!

When fergie came in the victim mentality he demonstrated (i.e. always an outside force to blame) pushed me away from the club, I grew to dislike them with a passion.

My concern is arteta is demonstrating the same tendencies. Whenever we don't win there is always an outside element to blame. This is a more obvious one but there have been multiple over reactions to ref decisions, many completely unmerited making him look silly.

Up until now I think a lot of neutrals want arsenal to win the league, I get the feeling that attitude will change with each passing game.

Arsenal fans too will grow disenchanted with three constant complaints. Errors happen. It is not intentional or vindictive, move on

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Really it would be better if refs made more money.

It feels like at times they behave and are treated like the semi pro refs of the 90's and before. Some of these guys aren't even in good enough physical shape to do their jobs properly tbh.

Generally I do have some sympathy for refs. No matter how good a job you do 50% of the supporters at least are going to hate you and you will get totally unacceptable levels of personal abuse. It can't be nice but there has to be a line drawn in the sand somewhere and this is one.

Mistakes are mistakes, everyone makes them but forgetting to put the lines in for VAR when you've got all the technology at hand to help you make the best possible decision goes beyond making a mistake, it's outright incompetence and needs to be treated as such.
Everyone should be making more money. The thing is though nobody watches football for the referees, we watch it for the players. Hence why the players get the big wages and the chefs, cooks, scouts, gardeners etc do not. The only reason I know some of these refs by name is because how poorly they have messed up. Seriously, I could not name you 10 PL referees if my life were on the line.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son

When fergie came in the victim mentality he demonstrated (i.e. always an outside force to blame) pushed me away from the club, I grew to dislike them with a passion.

My concern is arteta is demonstrating the same tendencies. Whenever we don't win there is always an outside element to blame. This is a more obvious one but there have been multiple over reactions to ref decisions, many completely unmerited making him look silly.

Up until now I think a lot of neutrals want arsenal to win the league, I get the feeling that attitude will change with each passing game.

Arsenal fans too will grow disenchanted with three constant complaints. Errors happen. It is not intentional or vindictive, move on

Neutrals hardly gave a **** about us over the last few years when we were finishing 8th. Who gives a **** what other fans think?

WE have to back this team and this manager who have put us in this position. We will only get better with another summer of good recruitment regardless of what happens this season.

Yes they will mistakes and yes Arteta rubs people up the wrong way… but **** it. Ferguson intimidated referees and the third officials throughout the years so the irony seems to be lost on Man Utd fans who are all thick as **** and abuse their players on instagram when they lose a game but are happy to take the moral high ground when it suits them.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Everyone should be making more money. The thing is though nobody watches football for the referees, we watch it for the players. Hence why the players get the big wages and the chefs, cooks, scouts, gardeners etc do not. The only reason I know some of these refs by name is because how poorly they have messed up. Seriously, I could not name you 10 PL referees if my life were on the line.
But fans don't lose the plot when the team chef goes too heavy on the salt or a gardener prunes the roses at the training ground too much. Referees have a major impact on the game, so I would like them to be very well compensated, so that we get a higher quality of officiating. It would be worth it for the PL, they are copping so much bad publicity regarding the state of officiating relative to the world cup or CL.

Also I think if they are at the pinnacle of their profession, they deserved to be very well compensated. If the money became good, it would became globally competitive just like on the playing side; I think this would filter out a majority of the greater manchester mafia.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
But fans don't lose the plot when the team chef goes too heavy on the salt or a gardener prunes the roses at the training ground too much. Referees have a major impact on the game, so I would like them to be very well compensated, so that we get a higher quality of officiating. It would be worth it for the PL, they are copping so much bad publicity regarding the state of officiating relative to the world cup or CL.

Also I think if they are at the pinnacle of their profession, they deserved to be very well compensated. If the money became good, it would became globally competitive just like on the playing side; I think this would filter out a majority of the greater manchester mafia.
You earn pay so let them have a base salary like they do now and make their match salary performance related rather than guaranteed. The issue is not that they aren't paid well enough, it's that they don't earn the money they do make and there is nothing to incentivize them to be good at their job. They get paid the same regardless of the outcome. Before these officials get another pent there needs to be a sustained improvement in the quality of their work.

Let any future raises be tied to errors being below a certain percentage as a collective and give them the ability to remove another referee with an agreed upon majority of votes if that person is dragging down their average collective score. Hell, make it entertaining and relegate the 3 worst referees to the Championship while promoting the 3 best from the Championship. See how quickly their performance increases if their game check decreases with each error and see how quickly they root out the bad officials themselves if their own livelihoods are threatened. We'd have the best referees in the world in a matter of months.

As a general rule, I think that good workers should be well compensated, I'm pro labor in virtually every sector but politicians and referees are the least accountable most pampered **** on this earth and both could do with a bit of prodding in the right direction in the form of financial incentives to behave since they lack the moral fiber to do it on their own.

lufere7

Player:Martinelli
Shocked to read those pay figures tbh. They are in a position of so much power with so many different parties wanting to influence them. Way easier to offer them life-changing amount if they are earning <100k year. Meanwhile a significant increase would be negligible for the EPL.

If you consider the amount of abuse they get, the fact only a few make it, plus the average pay it probably only attracts football obsessed people, which seems like a bad idea when you want someone as unbiased as possible. No way someone football obsessed isn't similarly obsessed with a football team and no matter how unbiased you try to be, it has to subconsciously affect you.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Shocked to read those pay figures tbh. They are in a position of so much power with so many different parties wanting to influence them. Way easier to offer them life-changing amount if they are earning <100k year. Meanwhile a significant increase would be negligible for the EPL.

If you consider the amount of abuse they get, the fact only a few make it, plus the average pay it probably only attracts football obsessed people, which seems like a bad idea when you want someone as unbiased as possible. No way someone football obsessed isn't similarly obsessed with a football team and no matter how unbiased you try to be, it has to subconsciously affect you.

It’s tricky cos you essentially just want an unbiased person who knows the laws of the game, can get around a pitch and make decisions quickly. But people also complain saying “X ref clearly hasn’t played football if they’ve given that”.

So you either want people who really understand football, in which case they might be a bald man from Manchester, or you raise the salary and just treat it like a job anyone can apply for.

lomekian

Essays are my thing

Its a bit like our politicians, which is why our current government is full of useless grifters making side deals and policy decisions influenced more on boosting their investment portfolios, sideline businesses and future careers than positively impacting the lives of the electorate.

That said, with refs, the issues are further down the pyramid. We know racism is a thing when it comes to selection committees and assessments for promotion at lower levels (Formal investigation findings etc), so who knows how many prejudices influence things. Its also clear that certain county/regional associations have a lot more influence and power - hence the proliferations of so many from just 3 counties. There is some desire to address this at lower levels after decades of denial, discrimination and complacency, but it will take a long time to filter through to this level.

At least Webb has come in now, having run the refs in the MLS, so not stuck in the same archaic ways of doing things, and not just an old boys club person - the waning influence of the biased and incompetent Mike Riley can only be a good thing, as he undid most of the positive things Keith Hackett tried to put into place.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
You have to be stunningly naive to think that paying corrupt people more will make them less corrupt. They're not corrupt because they don't get paid enough. If you trebled the salaries of politicians and referees they would just be making more money in base salary while still being corrupt. We have the greatest income disparity in modern history and the most corrupt people on the planet are those with the most money, how on earth could you reconcile that with paying people more leading to less corruption? :facepalm:

Is Sunak any less corrupt than any other PM in recent memory because he's got more access to capital? No he's not. Was Trump less corrupt because he was wealthier than any other President in history? Quite the opposite. Corruption is stopped by actual consequences not pay rises. Human beings are greedy, particularly where money is concerned.

If you pay a ref 300k instead of 100k that's not going to make him turn down a big bribe. In fact it becomes easier to take the bribe because less questions are asked about how your expenditures square with your salary. What these referees need is to be held accountable for their performances. Throwing money at them with no attached performance stipulations is just daft.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member

But look at what that did for Fergie’s team… I wouldn’t mind that.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the league at Tottenham, they came back 2-2 in the last-minute of the game, and they're celebrating - because they're happy to draw against us, obviously. And I remember saying to Mauricio Tarricco who injured himself celebrating in front of me: "Do you realise we only need a point to be Champions?" And he was utterly shocked. So I said "Yes. Now watch as we're going to celebrate on your pitch. Bye bye!"

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom