• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lee Mason Will Never Leave PGMOL

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
You have to be stunningly naive to think that paying corrupt people more will make them less corrupt. They're not corrupt because they don't get paid enough. If you trebled the salaries of politicians and referees they would just be making more money in base salary while still being corrupt. We have the greatest income disparity in modern history and the most corrupt people on the planet are those with the most money, how on earth could you reconcile that with paying people more leading to less corruption? :facepalm:

Is Sunak any less corrupt than any other PM in recent memory because he's got more access to capital? No he's not. Was Trump less corrupt because he was wealthier than any other President in history? Quite the opposite. Corruption is stopped by actual consequences not pay rises. Human beings are greedy, particularly where money is concerned.

If you pay a ref 300k instead of 100k that's not going to make him turn down a big bribe. In fact it becomes easier to take the bribe because less questions are asked about how your expenditures square with your salary. What these referees need is to be held accountable for their performances. Throwing money at them with no attached performance stipulations is just daft.
For me it's not about corruption in the refereeing case. However, there is often a correlation between low pay and corruption. As an example go to different parts of asia and africa where police are on a salary of virtually nothing:; I think small time corruption is the expected way that you make a living. But I agree there are a number of important factors other than salary i.e. opportunity, culture, morality, job transparency

But higher salaries would definitely increase the pool of talent willing to be referees. Would you want to cop death threats and the abuse they receive, in addition to being despised by strangers as you walk down the street for a moderate salary?

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
For me it's not about corruption in the refereeing case. However, there is often a correlation between low pay and corruption. As an example go to different parts of asia and africa where police are on a salary of virtually nothing:; I think small time corruption is the expected way that you make a living. But I agree there are a number of important factors other than salary i.e. opportunity, culture, morality, job transparency

But higher salaries would definitely increase the pool of talent willing to be referees. Would you want to cop death threats and the abuse they receive, in addition to being despised by strangers as you walk down the street for a moderate salary?
Their salary isn't moderate compared to most people in the UK though. Their base pay before even working a match is 30k which is around the UK average. They then get over 1k a match which leaves them at near double the avg UK salary at the end of the season.

You think some poor NHS worker who can't pay for their heating costs wouldn't happily work less than half the time for double the pay? What about an EMS worker like the bloke whose orbital socket was fractured by a lunatic he was trying to help the other day? Do you think the poor hard done by refs have it worse than people who are in actual danger at a job that doesn't even cover their living costs vs a ref who might get a dirty look if someone recognizes them? Really?

They get to travel the country and even the world if they're have decent and it's a unique thing which you can monetize later on either through speaking engagements, media appearances, book deals or any other number of avenues. I'm very confident that it has an appeal to more than just white guys from Manchester. The lack of diversity is not a function of the salary being low, it's a function of PGMOL wanting a certain sort as employees.

I'm sure their are plenty of southerners and northerners of all walks of life who wouldn't think the referee salary to be a problem, quite the opposite in fact and yet we don't see them hired, just one archetype over and over. Ask yourself why that is when for many of them it would be a dramatic raise in pay.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I said in the "They are referees" thread, there should be an investigation as to why there are ZERO Select Group referees from the Greater London area. That just defies all probability. It's clear that there nepotism is rife and the PGMOL is just a "jobs for the boys" club.

A serious organization would take a look at that and immediately get to work on stamping it out.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
To coach how to misuse VAR and be s**t on field. There no hope about PL they trying hard to be curropted.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
AM is desperate for people to be unemployed
Not unemployed, it's just that someone like Mason is more suited to turning tricks with you in dark alleys than instructing people on how to referee when he's now been sacked twice for his inability to properly referee.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

So.. when you do your job horribly for PGMOL, they reward you with an upgraded position which Mason will love.. sitting all day on his fat ass and pretending to know how to referee, while being a prick to the new refs so the tradition continues?

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I'm sure many here would love for you to finally land a job
the-incredibles-the-incredibles2.gif

• Funny
Reactions: A_G

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
His skill sets? Watching games with multiple screens and angles with a controler for replay and zooming yet still got many decisions wrong. That must be a cultural things in the ref circle.

Arsenal Quotes

I think without doubt that Bergkamp is the most talented player to have played for Arsenal in the past 30 years, for as long as I can remember

Liam Brady
Top Bottom