• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Liverpool v Arsenal, 15/08/10, SS1, 4pm GMT

asajoseph

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Gurgen said:
Eboue is a good player at this point in time. Many clubs would be delighted to have a squad player like him.
Exactly. He scored two goals yesterday from that position too. I honestly don't know what he has to do to satisfy some people.

Two goals in pre-season against Legia Warsaw aren't really enough to make up for 6 goals and 9 assists in 3 years playing largely as an attacking midfielder.

He has to show more end product, more regularly, when it counts. In his career to date, he's been shocking.

fabo

6.51 / 10
At least with Walcott there's a chance he might do something productive in the final third. In general, Eboue will probably offer more to our overall play.

I'd have neither starting. Looks like another weak position in the squad - not sure if Nik or Chamakh will get game time there this year.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

well maybe this is his season, think it is a good sign that he scored it was also the way he scored the 2nd showed quite a bit of composure . Which is a big improvement to the way he used to aproach shooting .

outlaw_member

Established Member
fabo said:
Can't believe we are going into another new season and Eboue is still an option at RWF.

And apparently, we didn't need Joe Cole.

It's absolutely pathetic. I didn't want Joe Cole, but we most definitely need someone in the position. How Eboue is still an option after 3 years of incompetence is unbelievable.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Gurgen said:
Eboue is a good player at this point in time. Many clubs would be delighted to have a squad player like him.
Exactly. He scored two goals yesterday from that position too. I honestly don't know what he has to do to satisfy some people.

Eboue is a top RB backup, but he is completely useless as a RWF. That isn't even up for debate.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Two goals in pre-season against Legia Warsaw aren't really enough to make up for 6 goals and 9 assists in 3 years playing largely as an attacking midfielder.

He has to show more end product, more regularly, when it counts. In his career to date, he's been shocking.
It's not quite the point I was reaching for though. No one's said he should be a starter all things considered. He does have several good points though, and people tend to largely ignore them.

The game against Legia Warsaw told me that his current form is pretty good. We attacked with a lot more potency in the final third when he came on. It's not disheartening to have him as an option on the right wing as we're heading to Anfield with that in mind - it's encouraging. So much of our attacking problems last season stemed from the fact that our forwards couldn't even beat their man with a stick. Eboue does it all the time, even though he's got other flaws. He's a rather nice catalyst to have around when he's on his game.

asajoseph

Established Member
The game against Legia Warsaw was one game - I don't know how it can tell you anything about form.

And I still don't see your point - when Eboue plays as a midfielder, he does so in a very attacking role. If he's unable to contribute almost anything that actually helps us score goals, he's still no use as a backup OR a starter.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Of course it tells me something about his current form when he scores two goals. How else would you determine such a thing? It was a very encouraging performance.

And I gather that you didn't notice, but I disagree that he doesn't offer anything in an attacking role. I think we look better with him on the field a lot of the time.

asajoseph

Established Member
Form, surely, is about how you produce over a run of games, not just on a one-off occasion? Especially not a pre-season friendly against pretty dubious opposition.

MAK 14

Established Member
I'd much rather Arsène played Eboue on the right over Walcott or Rosicky for the simple fact that Eboue is a much better crosser than both of them. With Chamakh in the centre we're bound to be a threat to Liverpool in the air. If the game is tied or we're losing we could always stick Theo on at around the 70 minute mark to run at some tired Liverpool defenders.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
It's not like it's an exact science. Form is determined by the performances over whatever span of games you look at. Admittedly a one off game isn't much, but he hasn't had many opportunities either. It still gives you an indication. I'd rather give him a start at Anfield based on a good performance against Legia Warsaw than off the back of a bad one.

asajoseph

Established Member
Sure, though based upon the last 3 years, I wouldn't pick him at all, but I suppose it kind of depends on what sort of fitness levels the rest of our squad are at.

Nevertheless, that's by the by with regards to your original point - it should be fairly obvious why some people aren't satisfied with Eboue.

qs

Established Member
Eboue will never escape his old reputation with some fans. He's no Bobby Pires but on the wing he has some strengths, his pretty direct, great feet and quick. His final ball has been lacking but its improved dramatically over the last 12-18 months to the point where he is far from hopeless now.

At the moment I'd certainly have him in that position ahead of Rosicky and probably Walcott too.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I would like to see sometime this season , RVP ,Chamakh and Arshavin as our front three .

asajoseph

Established Member
Theo may be frustrating, but he's still better in the final third, and puts more of a defensive shift in than Eboue.

Neither would get into my first Arsenal XI at the moment, but Walcott would be the one coming off the bench 9 times out of 10.

outlaw_member

Established Member
qs said:
Eboue will never escape his old reputation with some fans. He's no Bobby Pires but on the wing he has some strengths, his pretty direct, great feet and quick. His final ball has been lacking but its improved dramatically over the last 12-18 months to the point where he is far from hopeless now.

At the moment I'd certainly have him in that position ahead of Rosicky and probably Walcott too.

Walcott's better than Eboue without a doubt, but they're all dire options to varying degrees. We need to overhaul our flanks.

scytheavatar

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Theo may be frustrating, but he's still better in the final third, and puts more of a defensive shift in than Eboue.

No he's not; with his very unintelligent plays he most often works himself to great positions and then waste them with bad passes. He's the one who offers nothing; Eboue is easily the best crosser we have in our team and you are underestimating him by claiming that he offers nothing. He doesn't score goals but he is a much more reliable passer than Walcott. He's more skillful too and better at beating full backs. The problem last season was that he was unable to showcase his ability cause Bendtner wasn't good enough to take advantage of his crosses, and I suspect that in the Liverpool game we are going to see Chamakh's superiority over Bendtner.

asajoseph

Established Member
Honestly, that's rubbish. Eboue is a decent crosser, but nothing special - you get a lot more than 9 assists than three years by being the best crosser we have in our team.

As for 'showcasing his ability' - what ability? He's had 3 years playing in midfield, and has only showcased incompetence.

MAK 14

Established Member
Who would you say is better at crossing than Eboue, asa?

In terms of pin point accuracy Eboue is definitely the best crosser we have.

asajoseph

Established Member
'Pin point accuracy' are not words that anyone in our squad has any right to when it comes to crossing, apart from, maybe, van Persie, who is comfortably the best we have.

Arsenal Quotes

I didnt score as many as I hoped, but it was nice that I always scored against Tottenham

Charlie Nicholas

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 24

Thomas Partey will leave this summer. Arsenal have multiple targets lined up to replace him [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are still in the market for a recognised #9 despite the recent good form of Kai Havertz [Fabrizio Romano]

The club may accept that the time is now to sell Emile Smith Rowe, with just two years left on his contract [The Athletic]

Arsenal may sanction a loan to raise Aaron Ramsdale’s value if they can’t recoup their fee for him this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal are among a host of Premier League clubs hoping to sign Irish sensation Mason Melia (16). Melia, who is already playing first-team football for St Patrick’s Athletic in the League of Ireland, cannot move to the UK until he turns 18 due to Brexit rules [Evening Standard]

Juventus like Thomas Partey, and Napoli will try to sign him before June 30 as well [Di Marzio]

Bruno Guimarães’ entourage hope to receive proposals from at least two Premier League clubs, with the player’s priority wanting to remain in England. Guimarães’ £100m release clause, which expires next month, can be paid in three annual instalments. [UOLEsporte]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom