• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Liverpool v Arsenal, 15/08/10, SS1, 4pm GMT

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We have nobody to carry the ball with a genuine goal threat from wide areas. We need 1 or 2 players like Kalou, Johnson or Pedro to make our game more expansive and provide a bigger threat on the counter - that, or a Walcott firing on all cylinders. Otherwise, our possession is useless. This team is like a hot, flirtatious lesbian or a golfer who hits the green in 2s or 3s but can't putt and its soooo frustrating to know how much better we could be with such a small amount of intervention.

Wenger yet again, is going into a season with Eboue as viable first option for RWF. Rosicky, Nasri, Arshavin, Wilshere and even Diaby, have been made to play as wide attacking players because of Wenger's reluctance to rectify this problem. The result ofcourse is our lack of varying movement in the final 3rd means we are constantly coming back inside and into a crowded area where good teams will gobble us up and then hit us on the break with real poise.

Chamakh played with his back to goal far too much for my liking. He wasn't brought here to be a lamp-post (I hope). It's a difficult fixture out the way nice and early, so all in all, we can't be too dissatisfied.

Captain

Established Member
USArsenal said:
i said it earlier in the thread before the game started, i cant believe Wenger started Wilshere in the first game of the season, away at Anfield. i really like the lad, and think he has a huge future, but i think a game like this came a bit too soon for him.. he needs to get his feet wet against the Wigans, Blackpools and Blackburns of the league before he starts at Anfield (or SB, or OT, or WHL).. looking good against "big name opposition" in pre-season is not the same thing as the league

not sure who will end up playing CB in our next game, but i think we should be able to beat Blackpool with whoever we put on the pitch..

Not really 'wetting his feet' though, is he? He played 4-5 months of premiership football last season more or less starting every week.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

You are right BP it is frustrating and I think it is also frustrating for the players , playmakers passing to playmakers its like going round in a circle.

To be fair he bought Arshavin to fulfill that role , Theo and Vela he really neeeds to start bringing Carlos on now .

Mr. Hotshot

Established Member
Nasri was a masterclass to watch. He needs to be played at the right position and as you can see yesterday he made life difficult for the liverpool defence and defensive midfield area. unbelievable dribbling. poor free kick taker tho

sabret00the

Established Member
So many things angered me, but the biggest was Wenger and his negative tactics. For some reason, we're just not allowed to play 'our game' against big teams, it's always reverting to 4-5-1 for 'big teams' and it's a damn shame as Liverpool were there for the taking.

I've seen a few people talking about how we dominated in the first half. Overall the statistics tell a far different game to the one I watched. I watched us having lots of pointless possession and failing to penetrate or create. If not for Liverpool being absolutely dire in the first half, we'd have come out better in the first half with our issues, tactics and formation addressed.

In the end, we went to Anfield first day of the season and returned with a point having fielded a second string midfield. It's a positive to take home and build on but make no mistake, we were poor and are a much better team than what we showed.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
We have nobody to carry the ball with a genuine goal threat from wide areas. We need 1 or 2 players like Kalou, Johnson or Pedro to make our game more expansive and provide a bigger threat on the counter - that, or a Walcott firing on all cylinders. Otherwise, our possession is useless. This team is like a hot, flirtatious lesbian or a golfer who hits the green in 2s or 3s but can't putt and its soooo frustrating to know how much better we could be with such a small amount of intervention.

Wenger yet again, is going into a season with Eboue as viable first option for RWF. Rosicky, Nasri, Arshavin, Wilshere and even Diaby, have been made to play as wide attacking players because of Wenger's reluctance to rectify this problem. The result ofcourse is our lack of varying movement in the final 3rd means we are constantly coming back inside and into a crowded area where good teams will gobble us up and then hit us on the break with real poise.

Chamakh played with his back to goal far too much for my liking. He wasn't brought here to be a lamp-post (I hope). It's a difficult fixture out the way nice and early, so all in all, we can't be too dissatisfied.

my sentiments entirely, down to the last sentence.

Gareth Bale or someone of that ilk would be perfect for us. Someone with genuine pace and power and who looks to go in behind the defence. In this league, players like that will excel. I still maintain we have too much of the same thing and not enough variation.

One positive was the rare occasions towards the end of the match where we got the ball wide Chamack was acting like a real target man and getting into threatening positions. Very un Arsenal like, our forwards since Henry (who was the only one any good at it) usually like to pull out to the wing leaving us with no one to aim for in the box.

viper_001

Established Member
MotD had a point, in that we generally overcook things and make too many unnecessary passes, allowing the opposition to get back into formation. Usually it lets us nail that perfect pass, but when a team has got our number like Liverpool did, we need a plan B. Throwing on Theo, RVP, and Rosicky definitely changed the game, but the way Wenger waited until it was almost too late was troubling.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
After a day, it stills hurts we lost 2 points here. Still can't believe what Walcott did in the 94th min.

ricky1985

Established Member
I've watched the game again. A few things stood out;

1. We were nowhere near as bad in the second half as I first thought. We were pretty much identical in the second half as we were in the first, the only real difference was that Liverpool had 10 men firmly planted behind the ball, with little ambition to attack, in order to protect their 1 goal lead. We controlled the game virtually from start to finish - except for very small spells here and there throughout, and a constant 10 minute spell at the start of the second half, after they scored. It took us those 10 minutes to regain our composure and once we did we completely dominated the ball, and pushed them deep towards their own goal.

2. The midfield was a no contest. I'm not sure whether it's because they stood off us, or exactly what happened really, but Wilshere and Diaby had all the time in the world to make pass after pass, and without doing anything extraordinary we completely had the run of it.

3. Wilshere was nowhere near as bad as I first thought he was - not that I thought he was terrible or anything. He made lots of good passes, lots of nice touches, and constantly pressed the ball when it was needed. A couple of errant touches and the obvious miscue for the goal have given a false impression of his performance. He was a solid 7 out of 10 for the most part.

4. Clichy was as bad as I thought he was. Dirk Kuyt had him on toast from start to finish, and he offered nothing in Liverpool's half either. Looked frightened right from the word go.

5. Arshavin was worse than Clichy. He actually looked a little lost out there, in fact, he knew he was playing terribly - it was written all over his face. Almost felt a little sorry for him.

6. Koscielny was very good, and on the day quite a bit better than Vermaelen. Who, without being poor, had a couple of loose moments. Although I don't think he had much chance of getting near N'gog for the goal.

7. Rosicky looked very good. If we return to a genuine 3-man midfield, instead of the two sitting deeper stuff we've seen since Robin's injury last year - he could really push for one of the 2 spots ahead of Song. TomasCR must be very happy.

8. Chamakh's role was difficult, he and Nasri didn't really have an understanding. It took them too long to figure out what the other was going to do, where they were going to move or pass. They don't yet have the sort of effortless connection that we see between Robin and Cesc - and when you're as tightly marked and as high up the pitch as those two were, with no time at all to think - you need that understanding.

9. Our wide play in general, both Arshavin and Eboue and the two fullbacks, were really poor, and offered nothing really positive to our offensive play. Our lack of width high up the pitch is a big problem - we all know that. I think one of the problems is that the freedom of movement our wide players have is what helps us to have so much possession high up the pitch. They are constantly roaming around forming our famous little triangles - the negative side of that ploy is that it results in our game becoming too narrow, meaning the opposition can stay compact and make it very difficult for us to get through the middle of them. The obvious resolution to that problem is to have the fullbacks further up the pitch, giving us that width that will stretch team. The second important part of that however is making sure we actually have fullbacks who can worry opponents enough for them to break from their narrow/compact set-up and risk leaving gaps through the middle. Sagna and Clichy can't do that - teams constantly show them no respect, and have realised they can let them have the ball all game long - and it won't result in any real danger - remember the Man City leaked tactics board from last season? "show them wide and make them predictable" was the instruction Mark Hughes sent his team out with. Something has got to change there.

giuliob

In Clichy's favour though he did prevent a goal with his stand on the line. Having said that, he is not the same player he was 2-3 seasons ago.

True Gooner

Established Member
Agree with everything ricky said. Good stuff.

Clichy worries me. It started with him losing concentration at vital moments in the game but playing well the rest of the time. Now he's getting beaten throughout the game by Dirk ****ing Kuyt!

I really thought he turned the corner during the closing months of last season.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
Clichy made Kuyt and N'gog lok like Robben and Torres. Admittedly, Johnson is better on the ball and he also made Clichy look like a mug once or twice.

And what about losing every single header to Kuyt? Reina just lobbed it up to Kuyt who would always flick it on to N'gog. That was their attacking pattern.

Timleaf

Established Member
On another note, how sh*t does Liverpool's kit look? Looks like the kind of kit you'd see a conference side wearing.

Oh, and losing Mascherano is gonna be massive for them. He's not my favourite player, but he does a great job for the team.

Gonner_88

Established Member
Top post Ricky. Agree with everything and YES, Clichy is starting to worry me again TG. One on one situation used to be something so easy for him but lastley (last two seasons) he has been an easy target for wingers and attackers.

We were too narrow yesterday and hence why liverpool didn't feel threatened. Everytime we went wide (2-3 times) we troubled liverpool.

Given that this is the first game of the season and that there is enough time for improvement, I am not worried.....yet ;)

asajoseph

Established Member
I'm pretty sure Clichy also initiated the move that lead to our only 'chance' from open play in the first half with a run up the left flank.

Gonner_88

Established Member
Timleaf said:
On another note, how sh*t does Liverpool's kit look? Looks like the kind of kit you'd see a conference side wearing.

Oh, and losing Mascherano is gonna be massive for them. He's not my favourite player, but he does a great job for the team.

Yh their kit looks awful :lol:

He's a top player for them and they're going to miss him but they've Poulsen and he's a similar player to Mascherano in the sense that he is aggressive and hardly gives his opponents any time on the ball.

Arsenal Quotes

In a football match anything can happen, the players, 90 minutes, fantastic moves, an element of luck, talent, courage, and touch of magic and, for those who are watching these men play, the search for excitement, for a memory, for a lesson in life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom