• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Michael Owen

sabret00the

Established Member
why did i read someone say Owen was proven class? he's getting roasted by the media in Spain being told he's not even of Reyes's ability, his last few seasons at Liverpool were poor infact the only good games he's had in the past few years have been for England and i don't particularly rate them either.

asajoseph

Established Member
There's a concern of lack of English blood in Arsenal... maybe Owen can be the new Ian Wright...

Owen being English SHOULD NOT be a factor. It doesn't affect the quality of our squad, team, or our style of play. The only thing this factors in is appeasing a few of our fans. I want players to be bought on the basis of their footballing ability, NOT their nationality.

And here's a controversial question - Would the Wrighty of old get into the Arsenal of today?

AFCG7

Established Member
Yup..Wrighty would definitely make the team and i'd go further sand say he would get more goals too..with the supply we have nowadays he'd bang them in with ease.

About Owen.. if we get him on the cheap..say £6-7 million why not.. he'd be a good backup for Henry/Bergkamp/Reyes... imagine leading 2-0 in a game and taking Reyes or Henry off for a rest and putting him on..he'd be enough of a threat to worry defenders and get a goal.

asajoseph

Established Member
he'd be a good backup for Henry/Bergkamp/Reyes...

Yeah, he'd be good backup, but we'd have to lie to him to make him sign on that basis. He wants to play EVERY week, and start the important games. He'd not accept a backup role, and if he didn't play enough, he'd just get upset, which isn't good for him, or the dressing room as a whole.

baccy_man

Established Member
Wenger also moved to rubbish speculation linking Arsenal with a surprise swoop for Michael Owen when the January transfer window reopens.

Owen has been linked with a move away from Madrid after failing to establish himself, but Wenger insists he is not in the market for any new players especially in attack.

"Michael Owen has gone to Real Madrid he has made a choice and he needs to be given time to impose himself and become a great player over there," added Wenger.

"We do not want to buy anybody at the moment and I don't think we need anybody up front."

taken from here

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/lis ... ted+tirade

Mark

Established Member
I don't think we need Owen. He hasn't produced for ages now. He is not the kind of player we would go for.

Serip

It probably won't ever happen but I wouldn't mind having Mickey at Arsenal if only because it could mean us nabbing Gerrard :p He's a nice lad and under Wenger he would do well. His current club form is meaningless as his confidence is low and none of his teammates seem to want him. He has scored quite often in 'big' games, especially for England. Seeing as Aliadiere keeps getting injured and Bergkamp has at most only one more season after this one before leaving, signing Owen wouldn't be a bad idea.

Oh and Wenger saying he does not intend to buy any players usually means the complete opposite, he is always looking to strengthen the squad.

DaViEsW

Fact: A player of Owen's stature was the worst possible kind for the way Houllier played. His only supply was for Gerrard to put the ball in his lap from 5 yards out.

Fact: Wenger's teams play much better football than Houllier's teams in terms of attacking play. Owen would be a sensation if he played for Arsenal.

kanuuu

Established Member
Owen being English SHOULD NOT be a factor. It doesn't affect the quality of our squad, team, or our style of play.

I agree with you that the nationality of the player doesn't effect the quality of our squad, but i do think that English players generally have more of a never say die attitude, which i think we could do with a bit more of.

asajoseph

Established Member
Fact: A player of Owen's stature was the worst possible kind for the way Houllier played. His only supply was for Gerrard to put the ball in his lap from 5 yards out.

Fact: Wenger's teams play much better football than Houllier's teams in terms of attacking play. Owen would be a sensation if he played for Arsenal.

Fact: Real Madrid also play much better football than Houllier's teams, and Owen is hardly flourishing there at the moment is he?

Think about it, if he does well at Madrid this term they won't sell him, if he doesn't do well at Madrid, what makes you think he'll do well here?

I agree with you that the nationality of the player doesn't effect the quality of our squad, but i do think that English players generally have more of a never say die attitude,

I disaggree. Kolo Toure ALWAYS fights to the last. Henry is not known for giving up. Jeffers was far from tenacious. And anyway, what on earth is the use of a 'never say die' attitude, when frankly, we never look like being dead? Lol. And even when we did, against a team like Middlesborough, it was a team made up of largely foreigners that came from behind.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
and notice how well he fought til the end with 'Pool? well, they were done every year in the last 3 by mid-march....

ahem... does anyone see the fat lady warming up stage left?

n_henry

He certainly wouldn't be a bad buy for, let's say 5-7 mil or something, but we don't need a player like him at all.

Plus, I doubt he'll leave his benchwarmer status at Real to be a benchwarmer at Arsenal..

TIFANNY

oh sorry...

Quote:

we don't nedd him!!

we don't need him!!

Tifanny, quand tu veux rectifier un post, clic sur 'edit' - ça évite de poster 2 fois

ah ok!! merci!! je savais pas !! :eek:ops:

seanconvey66

to say he is playing bad for madrid id harsh. Game 1 came on set up goal. game 2 played quite bad. in his last game, his 4th appearance came off injurred. He hasnt really been given much of a chance, its like saying rvp is a failure with us. Didnt it take Bergkamp,pires and Titi afew months to settle down???? They werent setting the world alight after 4 appearances either.

A

Anonymous

If this little over rated welsh tosser joins our club I will be very, very pissed off.

Canuck

Established Member
True they are writing off Owen a little early if you ask me. But for god sakes don't send him our way. He'd be surpluse to us just like he is to Madrid. Maybe he could revive his career with the old war-horses at Bolton... :mrgreen:
I hear Everton have money to spend and could prob. use a striker. :mrgreen:

pamilih

Serip said:
It probably won't ever happen but I wouldn't mind having Mickey at Arsenal if only because it could mean us nabbing Gerrard :p He's a nice lad and under Wenger he would do well. His current club form is meaningless as his confidence is low and none of his teammates seem to want him. He has scored quite often in 'big' games, especially for England. Seeing as Aliadiere keeps getting injured and Bergkamp has at most only one more season after this one before leaving, signing Owen wouldn't be a bad idea.

Oh and Wenger saying he does not intend to buy any players usually means the complete opposite, he is always looking to strengthen the squad.

I think he is a perfect replacement for Aliadiere. So we'd have a fox in the box in the like of Jeffers but much better. It is best to have the most varieties of styles in players so we can have depth and width as well.

Arsenal Quotes

Have Tottenham closed the gap on Arsenal?
Last time I checked they were still 4 miles and 11 titles away

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 31

Arsenal are interested in Benfica CB Antonio Silva, but will have to trigger his £85m release clause to sign the 20 year old [Correio de Manha]

Youngster Charles Sagoe Jr is set for a loan spell at League One side Charlton Athletic [Online Gooner]

Arsenal have moved on to targeting Benfica midfielder Joao Neves after Martin Zubamendi indicated a preference to remain in La Liga [Teamtalk]

Liverpool, Arsenal and Bayern Munich have all made an approach to PSV forward Johan Bakayoko [Hbvl]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom