• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
People want Pepe to play simple football? WTF?

If prime Ronaldinho joined Arsenal, you fans would force Ronaldinho to play like Walcott....I’m speechless with this British football mindset.

If you have a Ronaldinho joining a hoof ball team, and he doesn’t perform because all other players only plays long ball. You don’t force Ronaldinho to play the dumb way. You should buy more talented players who can play technical football to play with him.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka

If prime Ronaldinho joined Arsenal, you fans would force Ronaldinho to play like Walcott....I’m speechless with this British football mindset.

If you have a Ronaldinho joining a hoof ball team, and he doesn’t perform because all other players only plays long ball. You don’t force Ronaldinho to play the dumb way. You should buy more talented players who can play technical football to play with him.

Ronaldinho at his peak was GOAT level technique, so I don't know if you can put him and Pepe in the same sentence.

Pepe's technique is a little erratic, not always clean. Although he does have some genius to his game. He can be a game-changer in the right system.

I still think he has the potential to be a world class player here. But he really needs to change his mentality a bit and always be assertive even when things are not coming off.

But there is also a chance he just ends up being a more handsome Gervinho.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Certain mans trying to have a go at Pepe when we are 17th for chances created lmal

Pepes job is to create lol.

Pepe isnt a fox in the box number 9 waiting to finish. Hes the constructor. Hes meant to be the one creating. Eden Hazard didnt need Kante to create for him. Pires didnt need Gilberto threading a killer pass. These players sometimes picked the ball up with nothing or no one on and within 5-10 seconds they had beat a man and either found an assist in the end or scored.

Never once did I hear an attacking player who's job is to create saying....I cant do my job because the full back who's job is firstly to defend isnt overlapping when I have the ball.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Pepes job is to create lol.

Pepe isnt a fox in the box number 9 waiting to finish. Hes the constructor. Hes meant to be the one creating. Eden Hazard didnt need Kante to create for him. Pires didnt need Gilberto threading a killer pass. These players sometimes picked the ball up with nothing or no one on and within 5-10 seconds they had beat a man and either found an assist in the end or scored.

Never once did I hear an attacking player who's job is to create saying....I cant do my job because the full back who's job is firstly to defend isnt overlapping when I have the ball.

Pepe is the chief creator in our squad atm. More big chances per minutes created than any other player.

You've really got it in for him?!

He has proven he can score goals from nothing multiple times this season. What more do you need to see that hes got quality but just needs consistency and a more settled team around him?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
While an understandably frustrating player, his numbers have been very good for his first season. Here's hoping he improves through coaching to better adapt next season.

In his first season with Lille he managed a goal or assist every 170 minutes in the league. 13goals and 4 assists total.

In his first season with us he has managed a goal or assist every 170 minutes in the league. 5 goals and 6 assists.

In his second season for Lille he hit 22 goals and 11 assists in the league. Obviously takes him a little while to adjust to his surroundings. But when he does what a player.

I'll say it again, hes a proper talent and will explode next season.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
He’s absolutely nothing like Özil and I’m not saying that in a negative way. You’re making this too complicated, he’s just an inside forward à la Salah with less quality. He’s a counterattacking player so he needs a lot of space in behind to get the best out of him, he’s not the kind of winger that is comfortable on the touchline going 1 on 1 with the fullback to put in a cross à la Sterling, Sane and Mahrez.

The problem is that under Arteta, he’s been used as a City winger, not as a Liverpool winger and that he’s been facing a lot more teams playing in deep blocks than in ligue 1. Arteta’s slower possession game is just a bad fit for a player like Nico.

Actually, you are both kind of right.

Pepe can be very effective as a counter attacking inside forward as demonstrated at Lille, because he's quick (though not lightning) and a good finisher when he gets into proper goalscoring positions.

BUT he is also more of playmaking wide man than most inside forwards (one of the reasons he's poor on the left, is that he wants to see as much of the pitch as possible, which cutting in from the right allows him to do. The comparison with a young Özil is not quite right, but there are some similarities for sure.

Its why we spent all that money on a raw player who is less polished than most his age. Its because he has the capacity to be both an inside forward and a playmaker. His raw talent level is super high, but his unusual route in his career means that he's still learning like a younger player. He was a goalie until he was 14, so he is literally still learning how to utilise his talent effectively.

Its possible he never learns and he rounds out as a 8 goal 8 assist guy, but given that he's got 17 goal contributions this season despite being a bit in and out of the side and still adjusting to England, if the team can function better, getting 15 goals and 15 assists is not implausible in a couple of years. We've got to learn to spring him quicker when countering and to support him more when in controlled slower possession, given him people to interplay with, whilst always giving those far post and far infield switch options.
If he can make more of his right foot and go on the outside a bit more near the box, things start getting exciting.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Actually, you are both kind of right.

Pepe can be very effective as a counter attacking inside forward as demonstrated at Lille, because he's quick (though not lightning) and a good finisher when he gets into proper goalscoring positions.

BUT he is also more of playmaking wide man than most inside forwards (one of the reasons he's poor on the left, is that he wants to see as much of the pitch as possible, which cutting in from the right allows him to do. The comparison with a young Özil is not quite right, but there are some similarities for sure.

Its why we spent all that money on a raw player who is less polished than most his age. Its because he has the capacity to be both an inside forward and a playmaker. His raw talent level is super high, but his unusual route in his career means that he's still learning like a younger player. He was a goalie until he was 14, so he is literally still learning how to utilise his talent effectively.

Its possible he never learns and he rounds out as a 8 goal 8 assist guy, but given that he's got 17 goal contributions this season despite being a bit in and out of the side and still adjusting to England, if the team can function better, getting 15 goals and 15 assists is not implausible in a couple of years. We've got to learn to spring him quicker when countering and to support him more when in controlled slower possession, given him people to interplay with, whilst always giving those far post and far infield switch options.
If he can make more of his right foot and go on the outside a bit more near the box, things start getting exciting.
Spot on

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Ronaldinho at his peak was GOAT level technique, so I don't know if you can put him and Pepe in the same sentence.

Pepe's technique is a little erratic, not always clean. Although he does have some genius to his game. He can be a game-changer in the right system.

I still think he has the potential to be a world class player here. But he really needs to change his mentality a bit and always be assertive even when things are not coming off.

Of course Ronaldinho is a lot better. Did I say Pepe is any close? No!

Did you really read through my points?
We need more flair, more technical players.

Read again, are my points not cleared enough?:

(And if you have read carefully. I didn’t even put Pepe and Ronaldinho in the same sentence. Same post, not sentence. Although I did put walcott and Ronaldinho in the same sentence)

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

Why could’t I mention them in the same sentence ? I could, and I should.
Did I ever compare them? Did I ever say Pepe is better/worse than Ronaldinho? Never.

If I play football in a Sunday league team, and you want to know my team better. I would describe to you:

this guy is the fabregas of our team, his strength and primary function is passing and create play.

that guy is the flamini of our team, he does the dirty work and his primary job is to tackle and winning the ball back.

“Oh, how dare you put Fabregas’ name next to your mates, they will never be as good as fabregas.”

FFS! I never compared my mates to fabregas/flamini. I didn’t ever say they are better/worse than fabregas/flamini. I’m just making an example to bring out my point.

I put them in the same sentence, so what?

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

I haven’t read all the comments but I think the calls for him to simplify his game are really just about playing smarter and releasing the ball quicker.

It’s a small adjustment that brought the best out of players like Sterling and Gnabry who became more direct and increased their threat off the ball.

When Ronaldo first arrived at Utd he was accused of being a lightweight one trick pony. I still remember the threads on BBC 606 and red cafe about Ronaldo v Reyes and it was a 50/50 split.

Also on a side note - what’s your beef with British football mentality? I’ve noticed it a few times but it’s a very boring dated stereotype. Since the likes of Wenger, Pep, Klopp, Bielsa arrived the mindset has evolved from a coaching perspective.

You can see that with players like Foden and Sancho coming through at youth level and the fact more are playing abroad at a young age.

Jae

Mate, no disrespect meant... but what the **** are you even on about? :lol:

Why are people who support a British team so keen to bash the British? Happens ALL the time on here. Really grinds my gears. There is no "British mentality".

Reactions: A_G

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I haven’t read all the comments but I think the calls for him to simplify his game are really just about playing smarter and releasing the ball quicker.

It’s a small adjustment that brought the best out of players like Sterling and Gnabry who became more direct and increased their threat off the ball.

When Ronaldo first arrived at Utd he was accused of being a lightweight one trick pony. I still remember the threads on BBC 606 and red cafe about Ronaldo v Reyes and it was a 50/50 split.

Also on a side note - what’s your beef with British football mentality? I’ve noticed it a few times but it’s a very boring dated stereotype. Since the likes of Wenger, Pep, Klopp, Bielsa arrived the mindset has evolved from a coaching perspective.

You can see that with players like Foden and Sancho coming through at youth level and the fact more are playing abroad at a young age.
I am happy with the improvement in recent youth players. Foden and Sancho are much more technical than previous generations. Tactics and players have improved a lot in the technical side. But the fans mindset is still rubbish. They still prefer athleticism and physical ability way lot more than technical abilities. They called flair, skillful players as trick pony and praise average players for working hard.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I am happy with the improvement in recent youth players. Foden and Sancho are much more technical than previous generations. Tactics and players have improved a lot in the technical side. But the fans mindset is still rubbish. They still prefer athleticism and physical ability way lot more than technical abilities. They called flair, skillful players as trick pony and praise average players for working hard.

I hear you but it’s a little more complex and nuanced than that. You are right that work ethic and endeavour are core to British culture. It’s heavily influenced by post war rise of working class and frankly, the climate.

But things have changed with globalisation, in particular with football and ideas about how it should be played here.

I’m old but unlike when I grew up watching football and all you had was MoTD / Football Italia + all British managers and 10% foreign players, the mindset has evolved drastically.

The funny thing is the very best players with longevity often do also actually work the hardest. Fans want both talent and hard work. It’s not a mutually exclusive thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom