• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Paul Pogba

GDeep™

League is very weak
Mitch said:
GDeep said:
Getting Pogba would mean doing something we've never done in our history - look to compete for an in demand elite player.

Özil,Alexis & Campbell?

Campbell only wanted London at the time, so worked in our favour, while no elite clubs wanted Sanchez or Özil, leaving us to scoop up.

With a guy like Pogba, you're most likely competing with Real, City and Chelsea. We've never competed or beat the best club, for the best players.

Not bashing Arsenal, we're just not at that level. Özil and Sanchez would be at City, Chelsea or Utd if those clubs wanted.

Iceman10

Established Member
SiMamu said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the U20 European Championship in 2013, with Sanogo, didn't Kondogbia play as the more box-to-box midfielder, whilst Pogba played at the base as a deep-lying playmaker?

I'm sure Pogba has played and can play deeper in midfield but looking at the way he has played this season for Juventus, showing quite a lot of talent on the attacking end, scoring goals, etc. he's got a taste of that now and it would be a bit much to ask of him to stay back, particularly as this signing is not only DLP/b2b backup to Ramsey/Wilshere but also for DM depth.

I just don't see balance with Pogba + Ramsey, bearing in mind we also have Özil. Schneiderlin and Kondogbia are still players that are used to limiting themselves to doing a job deeper in midfield if need be.

As Mark says, you can buy a top CF, Schneiderlin/Kondogbia, and address depth in the defensive unit, all for less or comparable to what you would spend on one player, Pogba. Indeed, if we went all in for Pogba and that was our transfer budget for this summer it would be a sackable offence in my opinion.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Him and Matuidi played deep for the NT in the summer and did a great job. Feel it's unrealistic, probably Schneiderlin or Kon-Dog is our level.

E

Enoch

As much as i would love Pogba here, i don't see it, he would cost Galáctico money. Wenger might not mind spending £30m-£40m on a player now, but £80m? On one player? I don't believe for a second that Wenger would go that high, if he did, i want to meet the bloke who broke the space-time continuum.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Rex Banner said:
Him and Matuidi played deep for the NT in the summer and did a great job. Feel it's unrealistic, probably Schneiderlin or Kon-Dog is our level.
They played as box-to-box midfielders either side of Cabaye, who sat at the base of the midfield. I think Pogba got dropped for a couple of games for Moussa Sissoko too during the World Cup, after he got a little hot-headed in the opening game.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

^Yeah but of those 3 none of them are a classic DM though are they? Cabaye is even shorter than Arteta I think. We'd probably have to play 4-3-3 but a midfield 3 of Pogba - Coq - Ramsey would be insane.

0% chance of happening though for me.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Rex Banner said:
^Yeah but of those 3 none of them are a classic DM though are they? Cabaye is even shorter than Arteta I think. We'd probably have to play 4-3-3 but a midfield 3 of Pogba - Coq - Ramsey would be insane.

Or Wilshere at the base in a deep-lying playmaker role, like what he has for England. He'd be the most similar to Cabaye, with two box-to-box ball winners next to him.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yeah didn't want to suggest it though, people haven't taken kindly to me suggesting a Jack and Aaron midfield partnership in the past :lol:

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I don't think both Wilshere and Ramsey will make it at Arsenal, at least not if they both want to start every game. Square pegs in round holes etc.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think there's a place for both of them, even if it isn't in the same XI which I think it could be.

Centre midfield is such an important position today, all the big clubs need the football equivalent of a 6th man to play an important role over the season.

Iceman10

Established Member
Dokaka said:
I don't think both Wilshere and Ramsey will make it at Arsenal, at least not if they both want to start every game. Square pegs in round holes etc.

Ramsey's not far off, there were some commenters here last season going on about how he was close to being a worldy and that RM/Barca would be in for him down the line. As silly as that was it is equally silly to take this season out of context and not just consider long term progression taking out the purple patches and the opposite. The on/off injuries this season haven't helped and he just needs to tweak his mentality a little regarding attacking/defensive balance.

Wilshere has some ways to go, no doubt about it, again not helped by injuries, in his case particularly with his ankles. He's not going anywhere though, as I said that won't happen while Wenger is manager of this club.

In general both have a similar issue of tactical awareness and knowing their role in balance for the team as opposed to being focused on standing out as individuals. Apart from the fitness issue I can't help feel that is more a management/coaching issue than anything else, and they are not that far off. The good and bad under AW is that it appears the initiative is on players to eventually figure things out for themselves. This is also why I feel Pogba is not necessary to an extent. We've got good players, just that the manager has to get more out of them, even after giving some benefit of the doubt regarding injuries. Both Ramsey and Wilshere have the basic ingredients, a lot of what remaining is required is in their heads, and maturity should enable that. All we need is a player that is primarily a DM but can also play DLP when required, so that there is adequate defensive cover with the two midfielders behind Özil, who also isn't going anywhere.

trunks206

Established Member
SiMamu said:
Rex Banner said:

Or Wilshere at the base in a deep-lying playmaker role, like what he has for England. He'd be the most similar to Cabaye, with two box-to-box ball winners next to him.

Yup.

-----Wilshere

Pogba---Ramsey

--------Özil

Play a similar diamond that Juve plays and we'd dominate any midfield we came up against.

GOONER1991

Established Member
Paul Pogba is a dream signing and would bring our midfield up to elite level. He will cost something ridiculous though, a Juve friend of mine expects a world record sum. If we managed to get Pogba, it would be a real statement of intent.

---------------Pogba - Ramsey

Chamberlain ----- Özil --------- Alexis

--------------------Giroud

That frontline has a genuine mix of grit, power and skill, with Ramsey and Pogba being the true box-to-box players that Wenger's always wanted in that position.

With the likes of Wilshere and Coquelin in the sidelines, it's a real quality squad - I expect Cazorla to leave this summer, or at least be benched next season, as he was before Özil got injured this season.

As I said, it's just a pipe dream, I would be massively content with Schneiderlin.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Apparently he's turned down Barcelona for PSG. Surprised at that, thought he'd have a little more ambition. Winning easy titles in Ligue 1 every year shouldn't be a draw to any elite player.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Isn't he a Paris boy? Probably going to get phenomenal wages too - Prince of Paris territory for him, already the Golden Boy of French football.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Wow makes that much of a difference for PSG's future European aspirations. He's a game changer for me. Verratti & Pogba.. frightening.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Made up he's going to PSG, means he's not joining another PL side anytime soon.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Apparently he's turned down Barcelona for PSG. Surprised at that, thought he'd have a little more ambition. Winning easy titles in Ligue 1 every year shouldn't be a draw to any elite player.
If he goes to PSG, he can still play for Real one day. Probably wouldn't be the case had he gone to Barcelona.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Are PSG going to need to sell players to comply with FFP. Cavani will be off I suppose. Are they going to sell a midfielder? Maybe this is the end for Rabbiot there?

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom